Zoom airlines

Fblack

Zoom has started non-stop flights from San Diego to London. They have two classes of service, priced at $800 or $1,300 round trip. But the big savings is time. The non-stop trip will cut out as much as 3 or 4 more hours. Anyone know much about them?

Zoom started up flights between Gatwick and Bermuda and New York last year and they were terrible regards punctuality, routinely 4 or 5 hours late.

Particularly hard hit were people using Zoom as a cheap way to mainland Europe connecting with Easyjet and Ryanair flights in London. As they missed their connections they ended up paying again for their onward flights.

Hopefully Zoom have learnt lessons from last year.

Look at the baggage allowances before booking a ticket. Their weight allowances are very low and that is even between 2 bags. Even with buying the prority 'rights' (for lack of a better word that I can think of) their weight restrictions are still low.

I had looked into them for our trip leaving out of NYC and even with the over $900. savings for all of us I didn't feel it was worth the hassles of trying to stay within their baggage allowances - for checked and carry-ons.

Make sure you read all their FAQ's and restrictions before booking with them.

One of my concerns with a number of these smaller airlines is their general lack of backup equipment. They have one flight a day out of San Diego. If that plane needs some special maintenance they need to fly it in from somewhere which can take hours. On a major airline, they have more flights and equipment.

Zoom has started non-stop flights from San Diego to London. They have two classes of service, priced at $800 or $1,300 round trip. But the big savings is time. The non-stop trip will cut out as much as 3 or 4 more hours. Anyone know much about them?

Zoom (parent) is a Canadian airline. The US - UK services are operated by Zoom UK which presumably is licensed/etc in the UK. I haven't flown them myself, but everyone I talk to that has says it's pretty decent. As for the size of Zoom themselves, out of Vancouver they operate to about 6 UK destinations, so they're not that small.

Zoom (parent) is a Canadian airline. The US - UK services are operated by Zoom UK which presumably is licensed/etc in the UK. I haven't flown them myself, but everyone I talk to that has says it's pretty decent. As for the size of Zoom themselves, out of Vancouver they operate to about 6 UK destinations, so they're not that small.

I may be wrong, but I was pretty sure Zoom was started by John Boyle, a Scotsman, who originally founded Direct Holiday Ltd in the UK. He also owns Motherwell Football(soccer) Club.

I would have to say I have never used them, but, I know they seem to have a pretty sound reputation in Scotland.

I may be wrong, but I was pretty sure Zoom was started by John Boyle, a Scotsman, who originally founded Direct Holiday Ltd in the UK. He also owns Motherwell Football(soccer) Club.

I would have to say I have never used them, but, I know they seem to have a pretty sound reputation in Scotland.

You're not wrong in that it was founded by a Scotsman, however he did it in Canada.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zoom_Airlines

Zoom Airlines Inc. was founded in May 2002 as a low-fare trans-Atlantic airline. The carrier, based in Canada's capital city, Ottawa, was conceived by two Scottish brothers, John and Hugh Boyle, to fill an opportunity in the Canadian leisure travel market.

The two brothers entered the holiday business in the 1980s with their start-up company Falcon Holidays in their native Scotland, which was later sold for a large profit to a major UK tour operator. Their next venture, Direct Holidays, was started in 1991 and gained strength and market share in Scotland, becoming a household name and the largest 'direct sell' travel company in the United Kingdom. After the sale of Direct Holidays in 1998 to MyTravel Group PLC for £84m (C$200 million), Hugh relocated to Canada. Boyle started GO Travel Direct Vacations, introducing the 'direct sell' method. This business model eliminates the role of travel agents, passing the savings back to the holiday maker. In taking this business model one step further, Boyle launched Zoom Airlines, removing the remaining third parties from the booking process.

In November 2006, Zoom Airlines and FlyGlobespan.com embarked on a code share agreement. Zoom Airlines operated two of three weekly Manchester to Toronto FlyGlobespan flights. Zoom flights from Toronto to Belfast, Cardiff, Glasgow, London Gatwick, London Stansted and Manchester were available for booking on the FlyGlobespan website, as well as Ottawa to London Gatwick. This agreement was only for the 2006/2007 winter season, as Flyglobespan subsequently commenced their own Canadian program.

In the summer of 2006 John Boyle founded a sister company in the UK known as Zoom Airlines Limited.

In January of 2008, Zoom Airlines Inc received approval from the Canadian minister of transport to operate flights between Canada and Italy.

-----

As for those people that say their luggage limit is low, you can buy a premium ticket for a little bit more that gives you a 30kg baggage limit (instead of 20kg) along with more legroom etc etc.

As for those people that say their luggage limit is low, you can buy a premium ticket for a little bit more that gives you a 30kg baggage limit (instead of 20kg) along with more legroom etc etc.

Here's their limits from their website:

Checked in Baggage

Zoom checked baggage allowance is as follows:

Economy=20kg (44lbs) total per passenger.

Premium Economy=30 kg (66lbs) total per passenger.

A charge of $10.00 CDN, 6.00 GBP, 8.00 Euros or $10.00 US per kg will apply for any baggage carried in excess of the free allowance as above.

Carry- On Baggage

It is necessary to limit the size, weight and number of each carry-on bag. Passengers may carry onboard the following:

One (1) bag no more than

Max Weight=5 kg (11lbs)

Max Size=23cm x 41cm x 51cm, (9"x 16" x 20"). plus

One small personal article such as a laptop, briefcase, purse etc.

I'll stick with other airlines that let you have 50 lbs. per bag and allow 2 bags; not 66 lbs. between 2 bags.

One of my concerns with a number of these smaller airlines is their general lack of backup equipment. They have one flight a day out of San Diego. If that plane needs some special maintenance they need to fly it in from somewhere which can take hours. On a major airline, they have more flights and equipment.

This is a valid concern. They are extremely unlikely to fly in another aircraft into San Diego if their plane breaks. You'll just have to wait until it is fixed.

As a resident of the San Diego area, I am also interested in Zoom and wish them success in serving our market. Hopefully it will grow into year round service.

This is a valid concern. They are extremely unlikely to fly in another aircraft into San Diego if their plane breaks. You'll just have to wait until it is fixed.

As a resident of the San Diego area, I am also interested in Zoom and wish them success in serving our market. Hopefully it will grow into year round service.

It's entirely possible the might though, it's really not that far from Vancouver, and we see a lot of them here.

As to the person that complained about luggage. Until not that many years ago, 20kg (44lbs) was what you got on any international aor domestic airline

As to the person that complained about luggage. Until not that many years ago, 20kg (44lbs) was what you got on any international aor domestic airline

When I first flew to England in the mid-80's the weight limit for luggage was 70 lbs. for each piece of luggage, not the total amount of your luggage. It was also the norm for domestic flights in the US as well until it was lowered to 50 lbs. for each piece.

It's not so much that I'm complaining about it, but mearly stating the fact they have low weight limits on their luggage compared to bigger name carriers.

It's entirely possible the might though, it's really not that far from Vancouver, and we see a lot of them here.

While I can't say this wouldn't happen, I certainly would never to depend on such a thing actually happening. If Zoom sent another aircraft from Vancouver, the flying time is about 3 hours plus another couple of hours for preparation. They now have 2 aircraft out of position instead of just one.

I would think the more likely scenario would be that Zoom would try and fix the airplane on the ground at SAN. I have seen situations where airlines will truck down parts and personnel from LAX to fix aircraft.

Again, I wish for Zoom to have great success in San Diego. I really am looking for them to prove that international service (other than Mexico) can succeed at our airport.

my wife and i are trying to book zoom vancouver to london in october.unfortunately we cannot complete the booking as they have not posted details for our november return-have to wait until march.it appears that their business economy class is a heck of a deal-premium seats with 36 in.pitch,choice of meals and complimentary booze.and still cheaper than B.A.

my wife and i are trying to book zoom vancouver to london in october.unfortunately we cannot complete the booking as they have not posted details for our november return-have to wait until march.it appears that their business economy class is a heck of a deal-premium seats with 36 in.pitch,choice of meals and complimentary booze.and still cheaper than B.A.

Try calling them, it may just be it's not available on the web site.

The weight limit for baggage for most flights within Europe is 20kg so Zoom are no different from many larger carriers as far as that is concerned. The difference is that Transatlantic flights tend to have higher allowances.

Zoom must be loving all this publicity! We flew with them last April and are booked again this May. We were up front and found the larger seats very comfortable. Crew were great - way better than Air Canada's, and the flight was right on time. If you are flying back out of the UK do remember that Gatwick is a hugh airport and if you are walking from Waiting area to Gate, allow lots of time - 20 minutes easy!

To the OP, may I suggest consulting Skytrax for user opinions. You'll find it at http://www.airlinequality.com

Click on 'Airline Opinions', then find Zoom by going to 'Z'. Everything from horror stories to very satisfied. You'll have to decide for yourself.

To everybody else, it's a great site if you are planning to take any airline you are not familiar with. As with many of these things, the disgruntled are more apt to post. As a reality check, also look up an airline you are very familiar with and see how it looks.

Archived