Wine Card

seaterm

The 10-glass wine card is $41.10 and the 20-glass card is $77-78. You can see the prices on the HAL website in the gifts section. I've ordered my card & it will be delivered to me in the dining room on the first night.

Sue/WDW1972

Veendam 3/09/08

We just got off the Westerdam. The 10 glass card was something like $39. It suited me and I think it is a very good deal. In fact, once or twice it did not get punched. Now, the wines are not high brow, pretty much the day to day plonk that you might have at home during the week. I had the cab most nights, it was fine. The chardonay was ok, not as good as the three bottles we brought on board. I think that you can get a premium version of the card but I did not bother. Only one of us drinks wine, so it is convenient.

We returned from a Southern Caribbean cruise on the Westerdam last Sunday. We bought the 20 pour wine card, but I didn't notice which vineyards of the various wines. DH drinks white zinfindel, and he was happy. I drank pinot grigio as the lesser of several white wine evils for me as I don't like really, really dry wines which all of them were. All in all buying the card was a good bargain.

We also bought the 10 drink cocktail card which was also a good buy.

We enjoy a glass most nights but we don't "know" wine. If you pay attention to $100+ per bottle wines or have a bottle "in the cellar" of a particular vintage that you're saving for that "special occasion" you may want to order your wine daily by the bottle. The wine card worked great for us. As has been mentioned, you'll get the option for a red, white, blush and a sparkling (if I recall correctly). You may also be able to say you prefer a Merlot or a Pinot (but I don't really remember).

Hello, all. Please, don't think that my husband and I are wino's, but we just have to ask if anyone knows the size of the glass (ounce-wise) that constitutes what is offered on the wine card. Is it a typical 5 oz. glass, if anyone knows? We just might go ahead and order the wine package instead, but any answer is much appreciated. Reason for asking.....we heard that the glasses were more like 2 or 3 ounces.........

They looked like "normal" wine glasses to me with a "normal" pour of wine. I never felt like I was getting a short pour or that somehow I was being short-changed because I had purchased the wine card. I suppose your mileage may vary depending on the ship, the cruise and the individuals involved.

Hello, all. Please, don't think that my husband and I are wino's, but we just have to ask if anyone knows the size of the glass (ounce-wise) that constitutes what is offered on the wine card. Is it a typical 5 oz. glass, if anyone knows? We just might go ahead and order the wine package instead, but any answer is much appreciated. Reason for asking.....we heard that the glasses were more like 2 or 3 ounces.........

Yes, it is about 5 oz of wine, perhaps a bit more. We drink only white wines and found them to be fine. I enjoyed the pinot grigio and my wife usually had the white zin. The differences you see in price are on various posts is because there is a 15% gratuity on the wine card. Some posters included that in the price they quoted. Because of the gratuity we purchased from our wine steward the first night at dinner. I don't know if the gratuity went to her, but I hope it did.

The differences you see in price are on various posts is because there is a 15% gratuity on the wine card. Some posters included that in the price they quoted.

The exact prices are $41.40 ($36 + 15%) and $77.63 ($67.50 + 15%).

Because of the gratuity we purchased from our wine steward the first night at dinner. I don't know if the gratuity went to her, but I hope it did.

The 15% service charges are pooled for all the bar staff on the ship, so that some don't get the benefit of the "easy pickings" in the dining room while others get assigned less busy locations.

Definitely not 2 or 3 oz. I'd estimate 5 oz for both the white zin and the pino grigio. We wound up eating in the Lido most nights and loved the relaxed atmosphere. The wine stewards there were laid back and friendly and very generous with the portions in the wine glasses.

More questions about the wine cards...

Can the wine card be used anytime, or just in the restaurant?

Same question regarding use of the signature cocktail card?

Can this card can be shared with others in the same party?

Can the wine card be used anytime, or just in the restaurant?

Same question regarding use of the signature cocktail card?

Can this card can be shared with others in the same party?

Yes. All of the above. I have to clarify that I haven't had the cocktail card, but I have had the wine and soda cards, and they are good all over the ship. I would think the cocktail card would work the same way, but someone who has had one can confirm that.

The cards are good for a specific number of drinks, and every time you get one, the bartender or server punches the card. So, you can get them one at a time or two at a time, or all at one time if you have a bunch of friends and want to share. Certainly you can share with others.

I found it to be a nice convenience, and I liked that I didn't have to bother with signing receipts for each glass of wine or Coke I got which made the onboard account less cluttered.

Archived