temps on Haleakala?

39august

You can probably get away without a jacket and jeans but I would recommend a long sleeved top or light sweater and if you have them - long pants.

Just remembered what I wore - a short sleeved top UNDER a long sleeved top and bermuda lengthed shorts - I was fine. My husband wore a long-sleeved shirt and long pants.

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00ffff&cdt=2004;2;1;23;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500  Until NCL SKY

It really depends on what time of year you'll be there. In winter, it gets really cold up there at times with quite a wind. Last year I had a spring weight jacket and was glad I had it. If you've got a rental car, no big deal taking a light jacket. The view of the snow on Mauna Kea is spectacular if the air is clear.

Island Princess Feb. 2004

Grand Princess Feb. 2002

Norwegian Sky Feb. 2001

WAs up there in June a few years ago to see the sun rise. Froze my butt!! After sunrise, we ran back to the car and turned on the heater! On the way back down, we stopped at the ranger station (or some park building) and they had some weather instruments that you could see. The wind chill was 11 degrees!!! Unreal...out in the middle of the Pacific! Next time we will strip the beds and bundle up!

Mike

At that time of day, should be OK with just a light jacket and standard tropical clothing. Certainly don't need jeans at 11 am.

Spleen

<a href="http://www.escati.com/counter98/free_time_codes.htm">

time98.gif</a>

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff00ff&cdt=2004;6;9;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500  until RSSC Navigator - Canada - 6/04

Carnival Conquest - W. Caribbean - 10/03, Celebrity Infinity - Alaska - 6/03, Ocean Princess - Alaska - 7/02

I would be REALLY surprised if it warmed up enough to wear shorts at any time of day! We were there for sunrise (May 4th) and left by 7am. But it was so darned windy that I can't imagine wearing shorts, even in the sun.

We nearly froze! We wore layers: shirt, sweater & jacket. Plus we wrapped up in beach towels (and looked stupid, but so did everyone else). The only ones who were relatively comfortable were our shipmates who were staying on for Alaska and wore parkas!

Wear shorts? Maybe...but take jeans and another layer.

It REALLY warms up a lot. You're on a mountain so temperature variance is huge. WE wear shorts when we go up on Haleakala during the daytime ... and if us locals can wear shorts, mainlanders should definitely not have problems.

Spleen

<a href="http://www.escati.com/counter98/free_time_codes.htm">

time98.gif</a>

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff00ff&cdt=2004;6;9;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500  until RSSC Navigator - Canada - 6/04

Carnival Conquest - W. Caribbean - 10/03, Celebrity Infinity - Alaska - 6/03, Ocean Princess - Alaska - 7/02

We were just up there on May 2 and I wished I had long pants on, though it was really hot at sea level. The one thing you need to know is it can be really windy up there, so that also makes it colder than the temperature may imply.

You will definitely want long sleeves, and probably a light jacket. If you are looking to just run around outside for no more than 10 minutes per stop, you can probably manage with shorts. I would definitely advise against sandals, a disadvantage for walking on the uneven surfaces and for keeping your toes from getting really cold.

Nancy D.

Hawaii at last!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=008000&cdt=2004;4;21;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

[This message was edited by Nanner on 05-17-04 at 01:01 AM.]

Archived