Be AWARE - Vancouver Sailings and Canadian Port Calls!!!

bepsf

Yes, Canada can deny entry based on a prior DWI. The 10 years mentioned does not make sense. Most states require that a person carry an SR22 filing for three years after conviction. This is on most Drivers Licenses for that time, and that is what Canadian Customs must be looking for. After three years is drops off the license and only a judge can look past three years of a persons record, so I don't see how they can go back for 10 years.

They can ask you. You can lie, of course, but if they find out they can bar you permanently. The US does.

-dave

Rev--

An SR 22 is a certificate you get from your insurance company to give to the DMV to prove that you are appropriately insured.

Receiving one from an insurer automatically spikes your rates as a former DUI driver - one of the many reasons I gave up owning a car 6 years ago (I'd much rather cruise than own a car in San Francisco...)

It's not just a DUI - my brother in law has a felony assault charge on his record from almost 12 years ago (he was young and stupid... ok he's still not bright !). He travels frequently as a sound engineer for a band. He uses his passport everywhere and travels to Europe usually 3-4 times a year with no problems. However, he can't cross the Canadian border from anywhere in the US. I'm not sure what flags it, perhaps your social security #. But, he doesn't argue, he just smiles and says thanks and then calls me to pick him up when he tries to cross from Washington into Canada ! The immigration officers are usually friendly and have let him know how to get the charge changed to allow his entrance into Canada.

I will be curious to see what happens if/when Quebec decides to withdraw from the Canadian Union and form an independent nation. Will the rest of Canada -- particularly the Western Provinces -- petition for statehood in the USA? I've heard lots of discussion about this, but am curious as to what some Canadians here have to say.

I will be curious to see what happens if/when Quebec decides to withdraw from the Canadian Union and form an independent nation. Will the rest of Canada -- particularly the Western Provinces -- petition for statehood in the USA? I've heard lots of discussion about this, but am curious as to what some Canadians here have to say.

I honestly don't think Quebec will ever leave to form their own country. Granted the voting during the referendums is usually pretty close, but I think the federal government will put forth some emergency bill that prohibits them from leaving the country. I have never heard of the western provinces wanting to declare statehood should Quebec separate. What I have heard is that they would look into motions to declare themselves separate from the remainder of the country. Quite frankly, should Quebec or the West wish to separate, let 'em go...but revoke their Canadian passports, their Canadian currency, their Canadian EVERYTHING, and see how quickly they all become the world's newest third world nations. Quebec and the rest of them don't know how good they have it but if they hate being in this country so much, move south of the border and stop complaining. I have taught French in the public school system up here for 21 years and am sick and tired of the complainers in Quebec.

Anyway, enough of the sermon for the time being. :)

I wonder what happens if you board a ship in the U.S. (Maasdam sailing from Boston) and the ship sail to Canadian ports. When this person with the DUI conviction arrives in Canada, are they not allowed to leave the ship? They can't refuse you boarding the ship as you are already there.

That's right, S7S - they make you stay aboard ship for the time that is in Canadian port, which is exactly what happened to my friend. (I didn't bother trying - wasn't interested in going ashore for only 2 hours in the evening when I could enjoy a nice relaxing dinner aboard ship)

No Rev. Canadians do not want to be part of the U.S., we love our neighbours but we are proud to be Canadian.

Would Alaska want to be part of Canada? No I don't think so, even though we also share cold temperatures and bears (but our bears know the metric system to decide how cold it really is outside)

Good question Rev., you always want to make us think don't you.

Happy Sailing To All

CanSail]No Rev. Canadians do not want to be part of the U.S., we love our neighbours but we are proud to be Canadian.

Yes....

but I often think that Alberta/BC/WA/Oregon/Montana and Idaho would make a great NEW COUNTRY

I think there are many states that actually show "restrictions" on Driver's Licenses... in Colorado, there is what is known as a "red license" which allows a person convicted of DUI the ability to meet certain criteria to drive "to and from work" only. If you are caught driving on a route that is not considered "to and from" - you loose your ability to do even that.

There are also a couple of other different types - my favorite, the under 21 license is in a vertical format, rather than horizontal - it easily identifies anyone under 21 and because of its unique format - date of birth can't be altered. :)

This is truly absurd. With a 30 year old dui one can enter nearly any other country on earth with no problem, but not our dear neighbor to the north. I hope this regulation (which has apparently only been used for the past couple of years) soon becomes common knowledge, it will be interesting to see what happens when US/Canada tourism takes a nosedive.

This is truly absurd. With a 30 year old dui one can enter nearly any other country on earth with no problem, but not our dear neighbor to the north. I hope this regulation (which has apparently only been used for the past couple of years) soon becomes common knowledge, it will be interesting to see what happens when US/Canada tourism takes a nosedive.

It's been much longer, though, that a 30-year old felony has kept visitors out of the US. Reciprocity has a lot to answer for!

-dave

I hope this regulation (which has apparently only been used for the past couple of years) soon becomes common knowledge, it will be interesting to see what happens when US/Canada tourism takes a nosedive.

I live about 5 minutes away from the Canadian boarder and this policy is well known in my area and it has not stopped any tourism. A friend of the family has a DUI offense on his record but it doesn't stop him from going over the boarder every week to play in a golf league, it's risky but he has been doing it for years without any problems. He is able to do this because they almost never ask to see any identification on the way into Canada when you are driving, they do however almost always ask for it on the way back into the US.

No Rev. Canadians do not want to be part of the U.S., we love our neighbours but we are proud to be Canadian.

Of this I have little doubt ... the question was one of speculation; if one province (a big one, with 7.5 million people) were to withdraw, would other provinces see it as a viable option as well? Would Ontario join Quebec? Would the western provinces find any advantage in turning to the USA? These were just a collection of questions that we kicked around one night at the dinner table on the old ss Rotterdam back in the mid-1990s. It made for interesting discussion, as it was the first time I had ever heard that one of the provinces was talking about succession. My new-found friends from Alberta were curious as to what laws governed the admission of new states into the USA, and that begin our discussion. It wasn't so much that these Canadians didn't want to be Canadians, it's that they were afraid that there might come a day when there wouldn't be a Canada anymore.

Would Alaska want to be part of Canada? No I don't think so, even though we also share cold temperatures and bears (but our bears know the metric system to decide how cold it really is outside)

Let us say that the United States of America has gone through a major internal convulsion; California, Oregon, and Washington have broken off to found their own nation, the deep south has withdrawn to form its own country, Texas, New Mexico, and Arizona have all been annexed by Mexico, Hawaii has declared their independence and re-established its monarchy ... all that's left of the United States of America is the central part of the country and the North East. Would Alaska want to stick with them, or would it take the newly realized option of succession and and would it turn to Canada? Perhaps ... given DIFFERENT circumstances all sorts of things are possible. Are any of these likely? Nope. Of course, we've got a hotly debated election coming up in the few months, and the result could launch a new civil war ... particularly if it looks like one side or the other is trying to hijack the election ... or throw it to the courts (again).

Good question Rev., you always want to make us think don't you.

Absolutely. We learn and grow best by thinking ... and when we stop thinking we usually die.

Hmmmm. If Canada is so vigilant and strict about DUI's on U.S. tourists' drivers licenses let's hope their enthusiasm for law and order carries over to keeping the terrorists from coming over their border into the United States.

Ummm it isn't up to Canada who to let into the US. That's the job of US Immigration the last time I checked. Hey, your name wouldn't be Colin Powell would it? :)

Ummm it isn't up to Canada who to let into the US. That's the job of US Immigration the last time I checked.

Very true ... but, if Canada is going to turn away people with 30 year old DUIs on their record, shouldn't they be turning away terrorists too ... terrorists who are wanting to cross over into the USA? Oh ... wait ... terrorism isn't against the law in some of the countries these "people" come from. Oh, silly me! :eek:

Hmmmm. If Canada is so vigilant and strict about DUI's on U.S. tourists' drivers licenses let's hope their enthusiasm for law and order carries over to keeping the terrorists from coming over their border into the United States.

That is the dumbest statement I have ever heard. It was your US Customs/Immigration people who let them into the US, not our Canadian Customs/Immigration. :rolleyes:

The last time I went over to Detroit I had to go through US Customs and they let me in. I'm hoping that will be true this Sunday when four of us try to go through the US customs to do a trip through your great country.

I'm also hoping when we return that the Canadian Customs will let us back in.

I'm pretty sure that's how it works.

So if terriorists got into your country - your US Customs let them in.

Have a great cruise Rev.

Ummm it isn't up to Canada who to let into the US. That's the job of US Immigration the last time I checked. Hey, your name wouldn't be Colin Powell would it? :)

;) I didn't word my comment correctly. I was thinking in terms of Canada being quite liberal in letting in a lot of undesirables from all over the world without too many questions asked.....some of whom then head to the US. And while some do cross under the auspices of US Immigration and would be subjected to a watch list check, others use the lengthy, porous border to gain illegal entry. It's the latter I worry about. I guess my point is that the prospect of a terrorist getting a welcome mat while an ancient DUI merits this type of scrutiny is blatantly ridiculous.

The question should be do we allow anyone who has a criminal record to cross any border. The argument that it happened in the past and should be forgiven is not enough. A law was broken and consequences should be understood. Poor Canada, if they stiffen up their border requirements they risk the wrath of being inconsiderate. If they allowed things to be the same they are too lax and are accused of allowing terrorists to infiltrate into the US

That is the dumbest statement I have ever heard. It was your US Customs/Immigration people who let them into the US, not our Canadian Customs/Immigration.

:)

But it was your Canadian Customs/Immigration people that let them into Canada, from whence they can cross over into the US along our VERY long and mostly unwatched boarder.

Archived