Be AWARE - Vancouver Sailings and Canadian Port Calls!!!

bepsf

Learned something interesting about Canadian Immigration that may be of interest to certain passengers...

If you are trying to enter Canada for whatever reason, Canadian Immigration (CI) may prohibit you from entering their country if they see via your drivers license that you have had a DUI within the past 10 years.

Several passengers on the 9/12-9/19 Alaska cruise were prohibited from leaving the ship for the reason above. CI noted a certain symbol on their drivers license that alerted them to the passengers having had a DUI. They were told that if their DUI were longer than 5 years ago but less than 10 years (when the prohibition would drop off), they could take a class for $200 to gain permission to enter Canada.

When we were told this by our shipmate, other friends of ours confirmed this by telling a story of their friends who had booked a sailing (on another line) from Vancouver and were prohibited from entering Canada to board their ship. $5000 loss and no coverage by travel insurance for any of these losses.

HAL personel reportedly were just as mystified as our friend was - obviously not their obligation to alert passengers, but an unpleasent note nonetheless.

BTW - Fortunately, our friend had no shore excursions planned, but HAL policy is that a missed shore excursion for whatever reason is a forfeited fee...

Although this did not happen to me personally, I feel that the sources are reputable. I don't know what would have happened if our friend had used a passport for ID instead of his license, and I'm sure that other folks have had different experiences. I just want to relay the info to the best of my memory in the hopes that others won't have this misfortune. And of course, I cannot guarantee that you will or won't be stopped by Canadian Immigration - its just something to be aware of...

That's interesting. I've never had a DUI, and I've never heard about any kind of symbol on one's Drivers License. However, the last time I went to Vancouver they didn't look at my Drivers License ... they looked t my Passport. How are they going to know if all they look at is you passport? Would that kinda of data also be linked to your passport?

I don't doubt it is true as I do not have a clue. Seems a bit much but who knows, these days. I sure could imagine they would not let you rent a car but not enter the country at all seems rather rigid. But, maybe so.....

In many states, if you get a DUI, you automatically lose your license and must turn it into the authorities for the duration of the penalty period. So, they wouldn't even have a license to show at Immigration.

I've done a little research, and it's true -- a DUI is an automatic strike against entering Canada. There are wavers and fees one can bay to be allowed to enter ... but they're strict. Check this website for information on the subject:

http://www.drunkdrivingdefense.com/consequences/bush-dui.htm

This was written before the 2000 election, but its data about DUI and immigration law still applies.

Once crossed into Canada in a motorhome and was allowed to keep the shotgun and shells, but they took away my can of mace. Called it a lethal weapon. Became curious and did a little research also. Found this on a Sault Ste. Marie border crossing website:

http://www.liddles.com/374.html

What you are allowed to bring into Canada

You are allowed, per person, 40 ounces of alcohol or 1 case of 24 beer, 1 carton of cigarettes, up to 4 days supply of food, along with personal clothing and fishing equipment.

What you are
not
allowed to bring into Canada

You cannot bring into the country live bait in water, worms packed in earth, hand guns and unregistered firearms.

DUI Charges and Other Issues

Our Canadian Immigration and Visitor regulations restrict persons with convictions that would be considered criminal charges in Canada to enter Canada. If you have had a DUI (driving under the influence) charge against you, any time in the near or far past,
and if it shows up on your records in the US (which can be accessed by our Customs & Immigration officers through co-operative agreements between the US and Canada) then you may be denied entry to Canada.
Random checks are common.

A one-time application can be made at the Canadian border for approximately $200 Cdn., taking up to 4 hours to complete, or a permanent application for visitor entry can be made through the Canadian Embassies in the US for a lesser amount ($35 Cdn.); however, this process can take up to 16 months. Some visitors with such convictions have been successful by pre-arranging their border crossing application and carrying letters from their home police force, clergy, etc. indicating their compliance with the rules over the past few years (at least 5 years). We suggest you communicate with a Canadian Immigration office prior to your planned trip if you have such a past charge.

Yes, Merry - it does seem far fetched, which is why I posted to let folks know that it's true. I was just as shocked as my friend who was denied entrance to Canada in Victoria. (although they let his wife through...) As I stated in my earlier post, I'm sure that others have had different experiences entering Canada - perhaps Victoria is just being more strict than other ports of entry for some reason...

And yes, I'm sure that it would be less likely for an individual to be stopped if they used their passport - another reason for me to go get one too...

Thanks Rev and Grandma Bev for doing the research to back me up - I was in the airport with a slow connection & I couldn't do the research myself...

That's clever. I'd move to any of those state in a heart beat :). Get a DUI and you will have to bike to the bar :p
Florida Beach,

I doubt loss of license because of DUI is going to stop someone, especially when they're drunk, from driving. I've heard too many cases of someone without a license being stopped for DUI.

Some of our drinking and driving laws are very strict and come with heavy penelties. In some areas there is a .05 DUI. If you are a new driver (less then a year) it can be a zero level. We have cracked down on drinking and driving. The States will not let you enter even if you had one case of pot posstion (sp) (experimental) for the rest of your life. Why is it hard to believe that Canada does not want drunks who could kill.

This is just MOI.

Hey guys....Up here and I assume down south of the border a DWI is a criminal offence. You can't cross the border...either way if you have a criminal record. (It could be for something as minor as possession 30 years ago..if you don't have a pardon your S.O.L.) As far as I'm concerned a DWI is as serious (if not more so) as any other crime.

Interesting that on a drivers licence there is a symbol that identifies you?

I think it's more that you have been flagged in the computer system by your name and your criminal record comes up on the customs guys computer.

I wonder what happens if you board a ship in the U.S. (Maasdam sailing from Boston) and the ship sail to Canadian ports. When this person with the DUI conviction arrives in Canada, are they not allowed to leave the ship? They can't refuse you boarding the ship as you are already there.

As far as the Passport idea go's good luck...years ago we took the Victoria Clipper up out of Seattle and while clearing Customs at the dock in Victoria I took out my Passport..they declined to look at it as they wanted to see my drivers license. On our return trip we were talking to one of the employees on the Clipper and they explained about how at least on Washington drivers licenses their was somekind of indication or code to denote a DUI conviction and that in turn would get someone turned away from entering Canada. They said they had seen more than one person left sitting on the dock waiting for the return ride back to Seattle.

Also what happens to a passenger with a DUI conviction that gets on the ship in Seward and is to disembark in Vancouver??? Do they have to stay on the ship until they get back to an American port???:eek:

I am curious, does the US rule about no prior convictions apply just to felonies or does it apply to misdemeanors too ??? Would be sad to think that a small offense way back in your history would still haunt anyone years later IMO.:cool:

I wonder what happens if you board a ship in the U.S. (Maasdam sailing from Boston) and the ship sail to Canadian ports. When this person with the DUI conviction arrives in Canada, are they not allowed to leave the ship? They can't refuse you boarding the ship as you are already there.

The person would not be allowed off the ship. The same happens to some foreign nationals who cruise into an American port. -dave

The States will not let you enter even if you had one case of pot posstion (sp) (experimental) for the rest of your life. Why is it hard to believe that Canada does not want drunks who could kill.

I agree that each nation has the right to establish laws, control its boarders, and to keep out people who have broken laws in other nations. This goes for Canada, Mexico, and for the United States. However, just as with many countries (including the United States) there really should be a statute of limitations relative to how long the penalty stands as a strike against someone. Canada has something like that by having a "rehabilitation" procedure, and/or a Boarder-crossing fee ($200) [is that Canadian or American??].

This being said, it seems to me that the question of "drunks who could kill" should be considered relative to if this person is going to be actually doing something (either drinking or driving or both) while in Canada (or, for that matter, the United States). If all a person is doing is going from the airport to the cruise ship terminal, or is being driven around by shore excursion buses, then I'm not sure how such a person is any danger at all or to anyone. ESPECIALLY if we're talking about your average HAL passenger -- an 80 year old man or woman -- who had a 1966 DWI when he was 42 years old, doesn't have any other kind of record, and isn't even going to be driving while in Canada. Should such people be kept from ever driving in Canada? CERTAINLY ... that makes PERFECT sense. But to not allow them to just cross from an airport to a cruise ship terminal, or to take shore excursions -- none of which will involve them getting behind the wheel of a vehicle (stone cold sober, even) is just over-kill. At least, that's my opinion.

i never taqke my drivers license on a cruise, just like i dont pack the 100 credit cards from every local store. I clean out my wallet as much as possible in case of loss/pick pocketing (last month my dad got hos taken in Sicily). The less one needs to replace the better.

I have only used a passport as ID for about the last 35 years or so. No one has ever asked to see a drivers license in crossing a border. Believe it or not some people really dont drive !

BTW i have no record and am not hiding anything !

This is not just a Canadian border issue. One of our employee's who has a DUI on his record has had a problem crossing the US border because of it, and whether he gets across or not seems to depend on the mood of the Customs Agent. He has found that if he does tell them that he had a DUI when they ask him if he has a criminal record, that he usually gets through - his guess is that they already know from their computer system and just want to see if he is going to be forthright or lie.

Also what happens to a passenger with a DUI conviction that gets on the ship in Seward and is to disembark in Vancouver??? Do they have to stay on the ship until they get back to an American port???:

This would not be a problem if the American passenger had a passport. Any one disembarking in Vancouver will remember that Canada Customs agents sit at a desk and do not scan passports. They collect an immigration form and wave you on after you have collected your luggage. If you have a transfer voucher to the airport, it is easier as your luggage is trucked to the airport and the inspection is even faster as you are hustled down an escalator to a bus parked next to the ship.

It is several years since I disembarked in Montreal and do not remember the procedure there.

The procedures are more rigorous at Canadian airports.

Yes, Canada can deny entry based on a prior DWI. The 10 years mentioned does not make sense. Most states require that a person carry an SR22 filing for three years after conviction. This is on most Drivers Licenses for that time, and that is what Canadian Customs must be looking for. After three years is drops off the license and only a judge can look past three years of a persons record, so I don't see how they can go back for 10 years. Unfortunetly if you get into their computer system you may never get out of it.

Archived