Emerald - Internet Speed - Fast or Slow?

jerseymax

We recently went on Coral and found the "high speed" internet slower than slow. One day it took 11 minutes to download 15 e-mails from our ISP site. We are on the Emerald in March and were wondering if anyone has any experience picking up e-mails? Unfortunately my husband cannot leave his business completely unattended and must pick up and send e-mails twice daily.

Sorry, but I have never heard of 'high speed internet' onboard a cruise ship. Since it is all from Satellite, those are two words that rarely go together when accessing the ships internet. High Speed.

Yes, there seems to be times it is faster than others, but nothing like what you would find at home.

We were on the Emerald on the transatlantic voyage in October. The internet was fairly speedy almost everytime I logged on. There were a couple of times that were slow, but it was for the most part the best that I had encountered. In contrast, we were just on the Caribbean Princess two weeks ago and it was so extremely slow that I gave up. I could not even check in to airlines to print my boarding passes. I even tried the last morning when we were back in port. No luck.

I've been on the Star, Golden, Caribbean, Dawn, Sun, Sea and Emerald in the last three or four years. I was on the Emerald in January and I would say the internet on that ship was by far the slowest of any ship I have ever been on. It was incredibly frustrating to the point of just giving up on it.

Internet is never high speed on any ship.

The cost of satellite band width prohibits anything even remotely approaching high speed.

It is technically possible to have much higher speed by dramatically increasing the bandwidth, but the cost of doing that would put it out of reach of most budgets.

You need to understand how bandwidth works in order to get the most out of it. The more people who are accessing the bandwith at the same time, the slower it gets. Cruise Lines who give free internet access to their Suite Passengers (like Princess) also encourage more passengers to use it more often, causing it so go slower. You also need to know that all telephone calls (company crew, and passenger), background music downloads, emails (company, crew, and passenger), internet (company, crew, and passenger), and of course all wireless connectioins, are all sharing the same limited bandwidth.

When is the worst time (as in slowest performance) to use the ship's internet?

When everyone else is trying to use it, of course.

In the morning when all the ship's officers are checking and sending their company emails, calling the office, getting credit card authorizations, and the passengers are using WIFI or the Internet Cafe to contact their families - and off-duty crewmembers are contacting their families - the internet operates very slowly.

The same process repeats itself throughout the afternoon.

When is the best time (as in fastest performance) to use the ship's internet?

When very few others are trying to use it, of course.

Try it in the middle of the night, very early in the morning, during any major meal period, during the production shows, or whenever the ship is in a popular port. Although in most ports, you would be far better off to go to an internet cafe where you can have real high speed internet for just a few dollars.

Hint: If you have a 3G or 4G mobile telephone, it will probably access the internet at a higher speed than the ship's internet system can.

We recently went on Coral and found the "high speed" internet slower than slow. One day it took 11 minutes to download 15 e-mails from our ISP site. We are on the Emerald in March and were wondering if anyone has any experience picking up e-mails? Unfortunately my husband cannot leave his business completely unattended and must pick up and send e-mails twice daily.

The worst I have ever seen on a cruise ship!

The worst I have ever seen on a cruise ship!

Internet is never high speed on any ship.

The cost of satellite band width prohibits anything even remotely approaching high speed.

It is technically possible to have much higher speed by dramatically increasing the bandwidth, but the cost of doing that would put it out of reach of most budgets.

You need to understand how bandwidth works in order to get the most out of it. The more people who are accessing the bandwith at the same time, the slower it gets. Cruise Lines who give free internet access to their Suite Passengers (like Princess) also encourage more passengers to use it more often, causing it so go slower. You also need to know that all telephone calls (company crew, and passenger), background music downloads, emails (company, crew, and passenger), internet (company, crew, and passenger), and of course all wireless connectioins, are all sharing the same limited bandwidth.

When is the worst time (as in slowest performance) to use the ship's internet?

When everyone else is trying to use it, of course.

In the morning when all the ship's officers are checking and sending their company emails, calling the office, getting credit card authorizations, and the passengers are using WIFI or the Internet Cafe to contact their families - and off-duty crewmembers are contacting their families - the internet operates very slowly.

The same process repeats itself throughout the afternoon.

When is the best time (as in fastest performance) to use the ship's internet?

When very few others are trying to use it, of course.

Try it in the middle of the night, very early in the morning, during any major meal period, during the production shows, or whenever the ship is in a popular port. Although in most ports, you would be far better off to go to an internet cafe where you can have real high speed internet for just a few dollars.

Hint: If you have a 3G or 4G mobile telephone, it will probably access the internet at a higher speed than the ship's internet system can.

Thanks very much for your input. Could you tell me more about 3G or 4G mobile telephone? (sorry I'm a little technically challenged)

Bruce has given a very good explanation. Not quite a year ago, people were complaining about the new limits on Internet use by Platinum and Elite passengers. In an article I read, it said that 93% of these passengers used less than the new limits which means that 7% were abusing this, passing their cards to friends and acquaintances, playing online games, etc. I suspect that speed has improved since these limits were put into place but obviously don't have data to support that.

If one depends on the Internet and must access it while on a cruise, you really need to be aware that there will be times when it's either very, very slow or even impossible. You cannot depend on the Internet being stable and available. That's the nature of being on a cruise ship -- any cruise ship -- as opposed to being at a land-based resort. Not only is the ship accessing a satellite but it's moving at the same time and sometimes, it moves between satellite coverage (in basic concept terms, kind of like being in a rural area between cell towers.)

I have late traditional dining and frequently use the Internet after dinner, around 10PM or later, and usually have decent speeds (if the Internet is up and available).

In an article I read, it said that 93% of these passengers used less than the new limits which means that 7% were abusing this, passing their cards to friends and acquaintances, playing online games, etc.)

Pam, I hate to disagree with you but saying that 93% of passengers used less than the new limits definitely does NOT imply that 7% were abusing the benefit before. While I agree that the sharing of cards with friends and acquaintances definitely qualifies as cheating, playing online games (assuming anyone was even doing that) does not. If the benefit was previously stated as being unlimited free internet, then if someone wanted to camp out online 8 hours a day while on a cruise, that is not an abuse of the benefit. Princess didn't say, "unlimited free internet" except for game playing, or "unlimited free internet" for personal use only (not business). They didn't qualify the benefit.

It's like saying that one Elite passenger who goes home with all clean clothes is abusing the laundry benefit. They're not...the benefit is for free laundry and dry cleaning services...period. Now, if all their friends are going home with clean clothes, sent out in a bag with the Elite member's name on it, then that is abuse.

I just got off the Emerald last Monday, and their internet access is the slowest I've ever experienced on a cruise ship. Your husband would be better off checking out the internet cafes in the ports. I used one in St. Lucia that only charged $1 for 7 minutes, and the connection was lightning fast.

Pam, I hate to disagree with you but saying that 93% of passengers used less than the new limits definitely does NOT imply that 7% were abusing the benefit before. While I agree that the sharing of cards with friends and acquaintances definitely qualifies as cheating, playing online games (assuming anyone was even doing that) does not. If the benefit was previously stated as being unlimited free internet, then if someone wanted to camp out online 8 hours a day while on a cruise, that is not an abuse of the benefit. Princess didn't say, "unlimited free internet" except for game playing, or "unlimited free internet" for personal use only (not business). They didn't qualify the benefit.

It's like saying that one Elite passenger who goes home with all clean clothes is abusing the laundry benefit. They're not...the benefit is for free laundry and dry cleaning services...period. Now, if all their friends are going home with clean clothes, sent out in a bag with the Elite member's name on it, then that is abuse.

You're right and I over-simplified. And you are correct in that using the Internet unlimitedly wasn't abuse. However, there were still enough people who DID abuse it, sharing their cards (heck, some have even posted on this board bragging about it.)

Pam, I hate to disagree with you but saying that 93% of passengers used less than the new limits definitely does NOT imply that 7% were abusing the benefit before. While I agree that the sharing of cards with friends and acquaintances definitely qualifies as cheating, playing online games (assuming anyone was even doing that) does not. If the benefit was previously stated as being unlimited free internet, then if someone wanted to camp out online 8 hours a day while on a cruise, that is not an abuse of the benefit. Princess didn't say, "unlimited free internet" except for game playing, or "unlimited free internet" for personal use only (not business). They didn't qualify the benefit...................

Well.... I disagree with your disagreement. The Internet set up on ships never was meant to be a means of entertainment. Anyone playing games for eight hours even on "unlimited free Internet" is discourteous and tremendously inconsiderate to other users awaiting to use the very limited resource.

Just because it is there for your unlimited use does not mean you have a right to monopolize it................That person should think of their fellow passengers. (a new experience for some people)

It is that very attitude that got the limitations put on. Too bad the 7%'ers blew it for everyone. But for me.... I can live with the new limits and do not need to play Texas Hold'em or some other fool thing to entertain myself while on a cruise.

hi everyone, we were on the Emerald for 20 days and we used the internet almost daily. We had no problem getting our email provider very quickly... we use hotmail. However I constantly heard other complaining about how slow theirs was and it appeared ... to me... that it was people trying access AOL and Yahoo.

I did encounter very slow connection when i was access Cruise Critic but heck I get that at home all the time! When that happened I just gave up and came back when I thought the CC board server would be quieter.

Pam is right about her bandwidth explanation. I had spoken to the Passengers Service Director Mr. Deering about this very thing and he stated exactly what Pam did. Bandwidth is very expensive and sure they could get faster service but if you thought the connection fee was high now! Also it does depend on how many people are using it, in the internet cafe, the officers, the crew and even people using the phones as it also access the same system.

all in all if you have the internet perk with Platinum or Elite great use it and heck no complaining. But if you have to pay for it, I would definately recommend you access your emails on shore.

by the way people who had their laptops and were accessing the wireless were complaining even louder and it is very expensive. Again wait to get to port and try and hook up there. Although i know that in some cases this is impossible.

I did want to point out that one person we met on board had to send some kind of presentation for work and the crew stepped up and let him use a computer that could have something loaded onto it and sent... way to go Princess.

If you are a Platinum or Elite member, use the free 250 minute benefit. We use Yahoo as email and clearly some computers in the Internet cafe are very slow. If possible, log off and try another computer. I usually found one that was faster.

If I was checking on business twice a day, I'd use internet cafes on shore which would be much faster. The other point is...you are on vacation! Unless you are a one man show, trust your employees!

Bill

I know, it's just like the soda cards. I will never understand the mentality, and even more so the desire to admit to it on this board.

They obviously admit it to get a reaction from all the rest of us. I wonder how many of those "admissions" are made up anyway. ;)

Sailed on the Emerald in December and the speed for a cruise ship was not bad at all when using during off peak times. The last sea day when everyone was there trying to print boarding passes it was awfully slow. Other than that, I used it early in the am or late afternoon when everyone was getting ready for dinner. Worked very well at these times and of course late in the evening.

Archived