Question re unfilled Penthouses-Rotterdam

localady

On our Dec.2nd Rotterdam cruise I was interested to note that most of the cabins are full, including ALL suites and verandas. Additionally, there are only guarantees available in the other categories. All 4 of the Penthouses on the Rotterdam are still empty at present. With a $6000+ price tag per person, I am not sure they will fill. Will HAL leave these Penthouses empty, or will they bump up 4 lucky suite customers, in the hope of getting the revenue of selling 4 additional suites?? If they do bump folks up, what would their criteria be I wonder?? I know many of you are very knowledgeable on these questions and I just wondered your opinions and past experiences!:cool:

No one can say for sure if they will upgrade someone or leave PS empty.

But I do know for sure, we have cruised a number of times when one (or more) of the PS were empty and they remained so for the entire cruise.

*If* they bump they will bumjp from the highest catagory OR discount the suites at the last minute. Again *if* they do it will be people who have cruised with them many, many times and not someone who is new to the line. They will reward loyalty first. They usually sell everything if it is available. Also has final payment date come and gone? Most cruises show sold out prior to final payment date then things usually open up.

Thanks for your reply S7S! I guess if they don't get their price on the 4 Penthouses (and I think likely they will not) then they will leave them empty possibly. I will report my findings once on board!!;)

P.S. Final payment was last Saturday and I am continuing to check to see if any of the categories open up:) Nancy- Congrats on your little bundle of Joy!!! Is he home yet??? My kids were both Premies, and my 16 yo son is over 6 foot tall with a size 16 foot!:eek:

P.S.S. Just so HAL knows, we are very loyal:p

Not sure what the criteria is for upgrades, but we were upgraded (at no cost) to PH Suite from CAT. B. All four PH Suites were then occupied. We have been on 35 cruises with HAL.

A friend of ours sailing for the first time with HAL was upgrade from an outside cabin to a suite. Hope this helps. Good luck.

A friend of ours sailing for the first time with HAL was upgrade from an outside cabin to a suite.

I have been told by a TA when this type of upgrade happens, it is because HAL needs the outside in question for a certain reason and the for another certain reason the only place the passenger can be moved to is a suite.

Localady,

I don't know what the exact criteria is for upgrading to PS, but I've heard from a HAL insider that they never upgrade anyone wearing a bag on their head.;)

Hehehehe....

Trust me Orcrone, it's prettier than the face underneath the bag:eek: :p

And yes, you can call me an "old bag".......:cool:

I have often wondered this same question but in my case we have 54 days away from the cruise, we may even get our Docs later this week:D The big difference is yes the PH is available but so are about 10 S suites, and numerous others in each catagory:confused: It is no wonder that there is only one other person from Cruise Critics on this cruise. I would love to be the lucky one they pick to put in the PH but with so many empty cabins I really doubt that one. I am sure it will sail empty along with many other cabins:(

Localady,

I don't know what the exact criteria is for upgrading to PS, but I've heard from a HAL insider that they never upgrade anyone wearing a bag on their head.;)

Localady--

This was a post by someone who called himself "mindless"!!!! :D:D

Please consider the source!:eek:

When is final payment due on cruises? I'm checking out my cruise also, as it looks to be sold out.

Localady--

This was a post by someone who called himself "mindless"!!!! :D:D

Please consider the source!:eek:

When is final payment due on cruises? I'm checking out my cruise also, as it looks to be sold out.

Wow, someone who reads my posts!!!:D BTW, I'm not the only one who refers to me as mindless. Just ask DW (I won't tell you what the kids call me).:eek:

Final payment for my upcoming cruise was due 75 days before sailing.

Thanks KK-

That sure makes sense to me!:cool:

Stary- I can understand how you were upgraded, a bit shocked about your friends with no prior HAL cruises though. :rolleyes: Have to think possibly it was their travel agent???

I was told by a TA with a very large agency that he was told by a HAL executive that requests for upgrades that come in from the ones doing the most business with HAL are most likely to be honored. If the TA thinks the new cruiser will be likely to book further business, then that TA might be inclined to request that the cruiser be upgraded if possible.

I have been given upgrades on other lines, and when I asked 'why me'? out of curiousity, was told it was because I booked a suite and some other rooms with an Amex platinum card, which in their mind made me a big spender, someone they wanted to build loyalty with. One more perk to the cruisecard (amex-platinum).

I have often wondered this same question but in my case we have 54 days away from the cruise, we may even get our Docs later this week:D The big difference is yes the PH is available but so are about 10 S suites, and numerous others in each catagory:confused: It is no wonder that there is only one other person from Cruise Critics on this cruise. I would love to be the lucky one they pick to put in the PH but with so many empty cabins I really doubt that one. I am sure it will sail empty along with many other cabins:(

Lisa-

On our last cruise, Maasdam 4/3/04 - there were still about 10-12 Suites available 2 weeks before sailing. We kept our fingers crossed - our TA even called HAL and "made an offer" - which they promptly refused :D

But in the end all the Suites sold out... oh well.

I still do not think there is any "magic" to upgrades. It either happens (and you are lucky!) or it doesn't (which is normal!).

We have a great TA, and according to the owner, upgrades are based upon (1) the need in lower catagories and then (2) the amount paid per person for the cruise.

We always book with the expectation that we will be getting precisely what we have choosen to book - no more, no less. :)

If I get offered an upgrade - I'm happy, but I certainly never expect one.

I will keep my fingers crossed for you!

Related question....

The Zaandam isn't sold out for the 9/26 sailing this Saturday. I'll be aboard her in just a FEW days. If, when we get to the pier, they offer discounted upgrades to A/B and Suite categories, any idea what they would charge? The posted difference between a B verandah and what we paid for our J-category was about $1000 per person. Anybody wanna guess???

Related question....

The Zaandam isn't sold out for the 9/26 sailing this Saturday. I'll be aboard her in just a FEW days. If, when we get to the pier, they offer discounted upgrades to A/B and Suite categories, any idea what they would charge? The posted difference between a B verandah and what we paid for our J-category was about $1000 per person. Anybody wanna guess???

OK I will take a guess, I bet they offer it for $400 per person more to go to a B cat.

On our Ryndam we are in Suite 043 and there have been no bargains offered for this catagory since I booked. So we are paying the going rate which I am sure everyone else is also doing. Gee, with 3 other HAL cruises booked you think that hold any weight for getting upgraded to the PH:rolleyes:

Related question....

revneal - We've heard from friends/family that they have been available at the pier check-in for a token amount - in the past. I have a friend who received and upgrade from B-catagory to an S-catagory for $250, ($125 each). They took it. Our TA has clients who've received a Suite from an A-catagory for $100 pp.

When we inquired regarding any "last minute" cancellations at the pier in Norfolk for our Maasdam sailing, I was told "we don't do that anymore, you have to ask at the Front Desk". At that point, I didn't bother.

I would try and get to the pier a bit early and ask. It certainly can't hurt. To go from a "J" to even a "B" would be awesome and certainly worth a bit of checking on your behalf.

I am always super friendly, especially when others in the line ahead of me are being rude and/or critical - I think it always make the person helping me a bit more willing to go out of their way... I've gotten upgrades to 1st class on airlines a few times by being nice and offering to pay a small amount. :)

Good Luck - I'll keep my fingers crossed for you too!

Were sailing on the Oosterdam 9/29 from Los Angeles. We had booked a "G" Category Guarantee partially obstructed view for which we paid MM category price. HAL oversold their cabins. They had nothing above a "G" available and too many "G"'s booked. They gave us $600 shipboard credit to go to and "H" Category - same room with an obstructed view. We went ahead and took it for the $600. We have never sailed HAL before, but usually we book a mini suite. Since this was our 4th cruise this year we went cheap.

I wouldn't wait until the pier. If you would like a reasonable upgrade have your TA check HAL and see what can be worked out.

That's an excellent suggestion ... thanks. I'm going to call Marcia in the morning and see what she can find out for me. The last time I asked about possible upgrades for discounted prices -- a few weeks ago -- she replied back that HAL wasn't talking about such offers yet. Her suggestion was to check when we got to check-in ... but perhaps, now that we're just 4 days an a bunch of hours away (WOW!) perhaps they'll be able to tell us more.

I doubt it'll be as low as $250. IF they offered us an upgrade to a B or an A for about $500 pp we'd go for it, though. To get the balcony it would be worth it. If not ... well ... I'm happy with my standard j-category cabin. :D

I would try and get to the pier a bit early and ask. It certainly can't hurt. To go from a "J" to even a "B" would be awesome and certainly worth a bit of checking on your behalf.

Sadly, we don't land in Vancouver until about 12:30 pm on Saturday afternoon (their time). We should be boarding at 2 pm, or so ... assuming the line at Canadian customs isn't too long. Last year it wasn't long at all, and given that this is the END of the Alaska season something tells me it won't be THAT bad.

I'll see what I can find out the next couple of days. Who knows?????? :D

Archived