Skagway Train

laurachr

I have read repeatedly how wonderful the train/bus/or car ride up into the Yukon is. But i recently talked to a friend who did this and she was not at all impressed. She said many people did not even get off the ship. (She had already done the land trip up to Denali). Has anyone else felt this way about this excursion? And what other good options are there for this port? thanks

We took that excursion a few years ago. My mom and Step Father wanted to do it. They really enjoyed it. They are more than capable of walking around but enjoyed just watching the scenery go by. My family with teenaged daughter would have rather gone hiking, horseback riding or just walk the town. All of which we did, including a helicopter ride and walk on the glacier.

I think it really depends on what you are expecting to see and your activity level. It is a train. It's not terribly fast, they do narrate, but seeing wildlife was pretty hard to do.

I any case. Alaska is a great cruise. Have a wonderful time!

As you mentioned, you've read repeatedly that the trip to the Yukon is great, vs. one friend's opinion! I think it's a shame if people choose to stay on the ship rather than explore a port town - but that's their choice.

We did a 7-hour rail/bus combination trip to the Yukon with Chilkoot Charters, and it was my favorite excursion of the cruise. The scenery by train going to Fraser was beautiful, and then we got more gorgeous scenery as we drove farther to the Yukon in a mini-bus. The drive back was great, as we were able to make a number of stops - including pulling over to the side of the road to watch the antics of several bears.

This is a top scenic touring choice. What didn't your friend like?? Was it a ship tour- these are on big touring buses and do have more time with loading and unloading, and less flexability than and independent.

I, frankly, question this person's report and would ask more questions. Only you can decide what is important to you. There is no "one fits all" touring here, choose what you want.

BQ or Nancy...doing this thru Chilkoot we are looking at the 7hr and 9hr but not sure what the major diff is. Are you familiar and what would we miss if we do the 7hr vs 9hr. The 9hr would consume our entire port time (6a-5p) with the exception of 6a-7:30a when the tour starts. Thinking we would like some time at the end of day to explore the town. Is this needed? Any experience witht the dog sled (carts) on this excursion? Thanks in advance.

BQ or Nancy...doing this thru Chilkoot we are looking at the 7hr and 9hr but not sure what the major diff is. Are you familiar and what would we miss if we do the 7hr vs 9hr. The 9hr would consume our entire port time (6a-5p) with the exception of 6a-7:30a when the tour starts. Thinking we would like some time at the end of day to explore the town. Is this needed? Any experience witht the dog sled (carts) on this excursion? Thanks in advance.

The train goes to Lake Bennett, where the short one goes to the summit??

The main difference between the 7-hour and the 9-hour excursion is the distance traveled by train. The 7-hour excursion takes the train as far as Fraser, BC (27.7 miles from Skagway), then travels to Carcross and back to Skagway by mini-bus. The 9-hour excursion goes all the way to Carcross, YT by train (67.5 miles), with a lunch stop in Bennett, BC. The return to Skagway is by mini-bus. Look at the route map to see where the train and the Klondike Highway go: http://www.wpyr.com/multimedia/routemap.html I booked the 9-hour rail/bus excursion, but had to choose something else when we arrived in Skagway, due to problems with the tracks beyond Fraser. I loved the 7-hour trip, but I do wish we could've taken the longer trip as originally planned.

I stopped at the National Park Service Visitor Center afterwards to view the movie, but I was too late for any guided walking tours of Skagway: http://www.nps.gov/archive/klgo/schedule.htm

The train goes to Lake Bennett, where the short one goes to the summit??

this means absolutely nothing to me since I have no idea where either are. Does the long exc also incorporate the Summit? Is it fair to say you would see eveything on the 7hr tour by taking the 9 hr tour, plus a little longer for lunch. If not, which do you recommend or are they equal in their own respect, I'm getting really confused.

this means absolutely nothing to me since I have no idea where either are. Does the long exc also incorporate the Summit? Is it fair to say you would see eveything on the 7hr tour by taking the 9 hr tour, plus a little longer for lunch. If not, which do you recommend or are they equal in their own respect, I'm getting really confused.

On the 9-hour tour, you will see different scenery on the train portion between Fraser, BC and Carcross. The only thing you will miss on the longer tour is the visit to the wildlife museum/sled dog camp. That's where the shorter tour stops for lunch.

Thanks BQ and Nancy...the link is very helpful, I think I'm getting it now. Sorry to be a pain. I'm thinking we won't have time for the 9 hr due to time in port (6a-5p). The exc starts at 7:30 and would carry us up to 4:30. The only time we would have would be on front end (6a-7/7:15). Do we need time for the town? THanks again. Oh, I gotta have sled dogs for dw, any at Carcross?

Thanks BQ and Nancy...the link is very helpful, I think I'm getting it now. Sorry to be a pain. I'm thinking we won't have time for the 9 hr due to time in port (6a-5p). The exc starts at 7:30 and would carry us up to 4:30. The only time we would have would be on front end (6a-7/7:15). Do we need time for the town? THanks again.

Since the all-aboard for your ship is at 4:30, you'd be cutting it too close with an excursion that is scheduled to end at 4:30.

I think it's well worth stopping at the NPS Visitor Center. There will be a walking tour at 3:00, but unless you sign up first thing in the morning (and the office doesn't open until 8), there's a good chance the tour will be full. You can still do a walking tour of the town on your own, as it isn't very big.

Since the all-aboard for your ship is at 4:30, you'd be cutting it too close with an excursion that is scheduled to end at 4:30.

I think it's well worth stopping at the NPS Visitor Center. There will be a walking tour at 3:00, but unless you sign up first thing in the morning (and the office doesn't open until 8), there's a good chance the tour will be full. You can still do a walking tour of the town on your own, as it isn't very big.

this is my thinking also, too close for me, would it be worth getting off ship at 6a to stumble around prior to the 7hr tour which starts at 7:30. Just a thought but with this tour we'll have a couple of hours afterwards for the town. I'll check into the tour for any advance reservation but may have to pass, Mom is in wheelchair. THanks for all the info, gotta run but back tonight. Ken.

Thanks BQ and Nancy...the link is very helpful, I think I'm getting it now. Sorry to be a pain. I'm thinking we won't have time for the 9 hr due to time in port (6a-5p). The exc starts at 7:30 and would carry us up to 4:30. The only time we would have would be on front end (6a-7/7:15). Do we need time for the town? THanks again. Oh, I gotta have sled dogs for dw, any at Carcross?

I agree, this is not a tour you should consider with the short port time. You have to be ON board by 4:30pm, not ending a tour.

Yes there is a sled dog option at Caribou Crossing, in Carcross. I suggest, if a must do, you rent a car from Avis and drive yourself there. The Avis office opens at 8pm and you have enough time to do this.

http://cariboucrossing.ca/ http://www.*****

I agree, this is not a tour you should consider with the short port time. You have to be ON board by 4:30pm, not ending a tour.

Yes there is a sled dog option at Caribou Crossing, in Carcross. I suggest, if a must do, you rent a car from Avis and drive yourself there. The Avis office opens at 8pm and you have enough time to do this.

http://cariboucrossing.ca/ http://www.*****

The sled dog ride is an option with the 7-hour Chilkoot Charters excursion.

I read in another post that it takes about 2 hrs to drive to Caribou Crossing if you rent a car. Is this correct?

Carcross, Yukon, Canada is about 66 miles from Skagway via the Klondike highway. Leaving Skagway, it is all up hill until it reaches White Pass (border between Alaska, US and British Columbia, Canada), then it is gradual downhill all the way to Carcross.

There are lots of scenic stops along the way, so make sure to allow time to enjoy these interesting regions, especially the high elevation alpine areas where you will find hundred year old spruce that are only a few feet tall (so that they can survive the harsh winter by the snow blanket).

You should allow 4-5 hours for the round trip Emerald Lake, so to have the ability to stop and go as you wish. You never know what you will see and what needs a longer look. Don't underestimate the potential time. :)

You most certainly can do it in less, but don't block yourself in with having to get back by a certain time, that cuts into your scenic drive.

The main difference between the 7-hour and the 9-hour excursion is the distance traveled by train. The 7-hour excursion takes the train as far as Fraser, BC (27.7 miles from Skagway), then travels to Carcross and back to Skagway by mini-bus. The 9-hour excursion goes all the way to Carcross, YT by train (67.5 miles), with a lunch stop in Bennett, BC. The return to Skagway is by mini-bus. Look at the route map to see where the train and the Klondike Highway go: http://www.wpyr.com/multimedia/routemap.html I booked the 9-hour rail/bus excursion, but had to choose something else when we arrived in Skagway, due to problems with the tracks beyond Fraser. I loved the 7-hour trip, but I do wish we could've taken the longer trip as originally planned.

I stopped at the National Park Service Visitor Center afterwards to view the movie, but I was too late for any guided walking tours of Skagway: http://www.nps.gov/archive/klgo/schedule.htm

Hi NancyIL - I am a little confused. It looks as though the 7 and 9 hour tours actually do go to the same place, just one goes all the way by train, the other is transferring by bus. Am I correct or reading this wrong? I have read a lot of your posts regarding your trip and know you really enjoyed this. We are hoping to do the train one way, the bus back and stopping along the way for a dog sled ride. Which one of these tours do you feel would be the best? Thanks for your help.

:)

in my findings, and I have been doing much, the 9 hr does not go to Caribou Xing, which is where the dogs carts are. We're planning the same trip, would like to do the 9hr but due to port times it just cuts too close.. The 9 hr does a portion by bus as well. Good luck.

I might add, go to the Chilkoot site, call them. They are very helpful and patient, not doing much at the present, wind chill was -50+ on Tuesday. I was told they were just hanging around inside.

Hi NancyIL - I am a little confused. It looks as though the 7 and 9 hour tours actually do go to the same place, just one goes all the way by train, the other is transferring by bus. Am I correct or reading this wrong? I have read a lot of your posts regarding your trip and know you really enjoyed this. We are hoping to do the train one way, the bus back and stopping along the way for a dog sled ride. Which one of these tours do you feel would be the best? Thanks for your help.

:)

The longer (9-hour) tour goes all the way to Carcross by train and returns by bus. The 7-hour trip goes to Fraser, BC by train and the rest of the way to Carcross by bus, with a bus return. The longer train stops in Bennett for lunch, and the other stops at Caribou Crossing for lunch - where the wildlife museum and sled dogs are. I booked the train trip all the way to Carcross but couldn't do it that day - so ended up doing the 7-hour trip. The only way to stop for a dog cart ride is to do the 7-hour trip.

I loved the Yukon rail/bus trip we ended up taking, but wish we could've done the trip to Carcross as planned. Which is best depends on how much time you have and whether you'd rather see different scenery by train vs. a stop at Caribou Crossing.

Archived