packing tips

smilealot

Packing for cruises is determined by a lot of things: destination; time of year; length of cruise; cruise line you are taking; etc. But here are my down and dirty lists of what to pack for any of the main cruise lines based on a 7 day cruise.

Warm Weather locations: 2 swimsuits; 2 cover-ups; 7 changes of undergarments; sleepwear; 3 pair of shorts or capris; 5 t-shirts; flip flops; nice sandals or flats; sneakers; 3 pair of dressy slacks (usually the traveler's spandex type of knit); 5 coordinating tops; 1 floor length skirt; 2 sparkly evening tops; dressy heeled sandals.

Cold weather locations: 1 swimsuit; 1 cover-up; 7 changes of undergarments; 1 set of silk "long johns"; 3 pair medium weight knit pants; 5 long sleeved lightweight t-shirts or turtlenecks; 2 pair of sweat pants; 2 sweat shirts (one of these is usually a cardigan out of the fleece); hooded windbreaker jacket with zip out lining; gloves; hat or ear muffs; 2 pair of sneakers; flip flops; 3 pair of dressy slacks; 5 coordinating tops; 1 floor length skirt; 2 sparkly evening tops; dressy heeled sandals.

And of course, for either location, jewelry, cosmetics, personal grooming products, first aid kit.

You can pack much less if there is a laundry service or launderette onboard. For an upcoming trip to see my kids and grandkids I'm trying to pack everything in a carryon and HUGE purse :D . Have a super cruise.

Solo Cruiser thanks for your packing tips. That is just about the way I was going to pack except I wish I had thought about the floor length skirt and evening tops instead of trying to find evening gowns. :rolleyes: Marie

Below is a post I placed about six years ago. I still use this method for every cruise.

After 35 years of marriage, we still pack the same things for a cruise.

Wife

5 Evening Dresses

6 pair of shoes (one of which is casual)

1 dozen sets of unmentionables

4 sets of casual clothing

1 hair dryer (the one in the cabin is not powerful enough)

An assortment of body soap, lotion, cream, etc. (cabin stuff is not good enough)

Tea bags (special blend)

1 magnifying mirror (the mirrors in the bathroom are not good enough)

Other items to numerous to mention.

However! She no longer brings her own pillows. Says HALs pillows are ok!

Me

1 Tuxedo with accessories

1 pair of shoes

1 pair of shorts

1 polo shirt

1 pair of socks

1 set of underwear

1 small box of laundry soap

I don’t bring any toilet articles except for a toothbrush. I don’t shave for the week so I don’t have to bring a razor and soap. This leaves us a lot of room for my wife’s stuff.

Just sign me: "her husband who doesn't even wear the pants in his house."

I don't bring any one item that does not go with any other item. All my stuff can mix & match with other things.

Over the counter medicines - do come in handy for colds, coughs, whatever you think you'll need. We use Tums & Tylenol the most.

Wherever you go - prepare for rain, and sunburn. A flashlight & alarm clock is handy, too.

MaryAnn

We like to pack and bring ashore our "magic stick" - some might call it a collapsible umbrella, but to us it is magic since we have never had to use it!

As for the alarm clock, we have a travel alarm clock that displays the air temperature. We find it handy to set the thermostat in the stateroom.

We also pack a collapsible bag (luggage). We never seem to have enough room in our bags when we are heading home - how else can you get all those towels and robes home!?!? (just kidding!)

Hello All,

We always bring a small collapsible cooler and large ziploc bags.

The reasoning is traveling with kids of course, that we can go to the beach and pack some sandwiches and fruit to snack on while we are off the ship.

I use one ziploc for ice to put over the snacks.

It has worked so well on the past 8 cruises!

This will be our 4th cruise and I swear- I am bringing only half of what I have before! I return with too full suitcases, no room for souveniers and clothes that haven't been worn!

Pack your bag as full as you can get it and then take out half! I agree, always bring stuff that mixes and matches, only comfortable shoes and you can use the laundry facilities on board if you have to. You are on vacation, if they don't have laundry- pay them to do it!!! Indulge yourself!

Save plenty of room for your shopping goodies!:p

clothespins for holding the curtains shut and hanging things on the

line over the bathtub.

dental repair kit from drugstore - no dentist on board.

small sewing kit for repairs

lightweight laundry bag for dirty clothes - I hang it in the closet and

toss in the dirty clothes every night

one bar of regular soap - can't stand those tiny ones supplied by

the ship - they always slip out of my hands and land in the bottom

of the tub.

Extension cord, large envelope (to put various papers that we want to keep...daily programs, info. about ports, etc), highlighters (for marking up daily program), 2 bottles of water (the emptys can be refilled for in your cabin), dollar store ponchos (in case of rain in port, use and throw away when you are back on the ship), empty gift card (like Starbucks for locking the safe), lots of one dollar bills (for tipping room service).

I find that I pack less and less for each trip. Have found that you can just purchase T-Shirts in the ports. (I usually can't stand to wear something without washing it first but since they FINE you if your luggage if over weight on a flight~~I can make myself wear it!)

I also have found that if you pack the mix and match and have it mostly BLACK then you can just pack one pair of evening shoes and one matching purse.

I can now pack under the flight limit in one piece of luggage and still have my snorkle gear in it.

Archived