Alaska Cruise

mikefast

O.K. here is a little problem, at least for us. My second son and his wife want us to take an Alaska cruise with them. We have already turned an Alaska cruise down once. Why, I was raised in the north and absolutely hate any snow and ice. Anything below about 60 degrees, and I'm uncomfortable. We looked at some of the cruise cams, and most of the time the decks were empty, except when cruising Glaicer Bay. Then we saw some people on deck with hooded sweatshirts, or heavy jackets. For me, a cruise means palm trees, white sand beaches, lounging on the deck in swim suits. etc. I know everybody says the scenery is beautiful, but to me I love the tropics. Can anybody change my mind?

Don't go in May or Sept and you will find nice temps. I went the first week in Aug and two days it was in the 70's and never wore more then a light windbreaker. If you go on the Serenade or Radiance they both has beautiful indoor covered pools.

The scenery is truly amazing.

Click on the link in my signature for pictures.

I'm not sure anyone can talk you into something you have your mind set against. You might want to consider the benefit to your family as a whole, since there seems to be some interest on their part. It's not like you'd be in prison...:rolleyes:

I used to view cruises in the way you do - all sun and beach, all the time. My Med and Alaska cruises changed my mind.

However, the weather is variable, it could very well be cold, windy and rainy (depending on when you go), glacier viewing from the deck requires warm clothes.

So go in July when the temps are in the 70's, even in Alaska. I'd go just to see the whales, do you see lots of whales in the tropics when you cruise? How about the bald eagles? I don't think they have those in the caribbean. They don't have icebergs or glaciers either. So if wild untamed beauty doesn't appeal to you, it'll mean more Alaskan Brewry Co Pale Ale for me!!!

I felt the same way, but surprised my wife with an Alaska cruise last summer. The Glacier Days are the coldest - that is why you see the coats. We wore a light wind breaker the rest of the time. If you like to swim, they have an indoor pool and actually the outdoor hot tubs were fun when pulling out of port.

The scenery is AMAZING. I want to go again in a few years. I have a caribbean cruise booked for spring break so I am back to sun and fun, but i am SO GLAD I WENT TO ALASKA!!!

Darrell

I agree with wolf. Sure, you may think you are on a cruise just like one in the Caribbean, but an Alaskan cruise is completely different. It's the only worth-while way to see that part of our country, and you get all the wonderful service RCCL (or any other line) has to offer.

The weather is hit or miss. I traveled last summer in the second week of August, and there was not one day of rain (or even clouds!) [see pictures below]. I was prepared with sweatshirts, jackets, and pants. Needless to say, they stayed tucked away in the cabin all week.

It was a wonderful experience and I can't wait to go back.

And, as Sue L said, the Radiance and Serenade were built for Alaska. If it does get cold, there are countless public areas with open glass. You can even ride an elevator all day and look at the scenery.

O.K. here is a little problem, at least for us. My second son and his wife want us to take an Alaska cruise with them. We have already turned an Alaska cruise down once. Why, I was raised in the north and absolutely hate any snow and ice. Anything below about 60 degrees, and I'm uncomfortable. We looked at some of the cruise cams, and most of the time the decks were empty, except when cruising Glaicer Bay. Then we saw some people on deck with hooded sweatshirts, or heavy jackets. For me, a cruise means palm trees, white sand beaches, lounging on the deck in swim suits. etc. I know everybody says the scenery is beautiful, but to me I love the tropics. Can anybody change my mind?

No. I live in Alaska, and the only reason why I'd cruise here is to enjoy the landscapes and wildlife.

Let me adjust your thinking of Alaska though -- it isn't all snow and ice all the time. The best time to come, weather wise, is June-mid August. The temperatures can get to mid 80s (Anchorage has even hit the 90s), but that's not normal.

Also, regardless of whether the temperature is 85, the water is still COLD. I can imagine that the wind chill on deck is cool -- it certainly is that way onboard smaller fishing vessels when you go out to fish for halibut. Everytime I go out on a charter, I bring my NorthFace or Columba jacket with lining. I don't wear it all the time, but I certainly bring it because I know it can get cold out there on deck when the ship is in motion.

A sunny, 85 degree day on land is great. It isn't going to feel like 85 in Miami because Alaska has a very dry climate. Still, you'll see locals in shorts and tees at 80 degrees, 70, 60, and even 50 (50 degrees sounds so nice right about now).

As for wildlife, you'll see a lot, but I've found the best times are in early May -- especially if you want to see a lot of whales. Again, I've done smaller charter day cruises for this type of stuff and I always brought my coat. I haven't done an Alaskan "cruise" per se because I think of tropical locations when I hear "cruise".

With all that said, I know for a fact that I'll one day take an Alaskan cruise -- just so I can see more of my state and have a relaxing break from work. As long as they have indoor pools (yes they do), I'll be just fine.

My wife and I are looking at taking an Alaska cruise next year. We have heard that the best time is spring or fall (May or Sept.-Oct) because of the bugs. Can anyone add insight to this? Also, is it worth the extra money to take a "cruisetour" or is just a cruise good enough?

Thanks

My wife was set against Alaska based on her preconceived notion it was all rocks and ice. Oh boy was she ever surprised! She was amazed and how lush and green it was. Yes, the weather can be a crapshoot but in general July-August are very nice. If cool it doesn't take much in the way of proper clothing to be very comfortable.

Another factor....GET A BALCONY! Even the one day it was cool or drizzly we sat inside the warm cabin, played some music we brought on video tapes (HAL had tape player on TV) and just watched the scenery glide by. Waterfalls and eagles so close you could seem to be able to reach out and touch them. All while very comfortable and warm. Ditto for the main high-up lounge with windows all around (ala Viking Crown).

Another plus....select a smaller ship over the mega ships. There are smaller passages and routes that large ships cannot use. Take the whole inside passage all the way to/from Seward. If possible go at summer solstice when it is light at 1-2am. Either sail north so it starts warm and you acclimate or south so it get less and less cool. There are "low land" (meaning warmer) excursions at all ports....like in Juneau do Glacier Gardens (no glaciers involved) rather than heli-tour to a glacier. Misty Fjords at Ketchikan is breathtaking and green.

Rather than edit last post....

We went in June at solstice time and there were no bugs on the cruise. A few near Denali but not bad at all.

For the cost of a cruise tour we rented a car in Seward (and exchanged for week rental in Anchorage next day) and drove to Valdez, Fairbanks, took overnight flight to Barrow, spent a day at Denali and then back to Anchorage. We stopped when we wanted. Took spur of moment side trips, ate what & where we wanted and nobody told us when to get up (except one day to catch plane out of Barrow). Stayed mostly in B&Bs and bought stuff at stores for picnic lunches.

My avatar pic on my posts was taken on deck of the Talkeetna Lodge where we had a great lunch on 2nd to last day and it was 80 degrees out.

I, too, equate cruise with tropical, but .. after doing the Eastern, Southern, Western Caribbean . .. then Europe .. it is time for a change...

My DH and I are booked on the May 3 2008 repositioning 14 day Ultimate Alaska cruise. We totally expect it to be "chilly" and maybe drizzly . .. but with the proper layering of cloths . . gortex on top . .. i think we will be fine.

I have heard that early May is when we will see more grizzly bears . . and Eagles. .. We'll see.

There are still a few rooms left on the sailing ... but just a few. Come on .... join us! Our Roll call has about 90 people already signed up!!!!

Okay...stop...you are making miss my "adopted" state. We lived in Alaska for six years...it is incredible. I have only taken "cruises" on the Alaskan State Ferry system...not quite the same as a "real cruise".

Go, don't worry about the possible cold or rain...enjoy Alaska, it is an American jewel and everyone should see it sometime in their life. I also think everyone should travel the Al-Can once in their life as well. But, that is another story...

I, too, equate cruise with tropical, but .. after doing the Eastern, Southern, Western Caribbean . .. then Europe .. it is time for a change...

My DH and I are booked on the May 3 2008 repositioning 14 day Ultimate Alaska cruise. We totally expect it to be "chilly" and maybe drizzly . .. but with the proper layering of cloths . . gortex on top . .. i think we will be fine.

I have heard that early May is when we will see more grizzly bears . . and Eagles. .. We'll see.

There are still a few rooms left on the sailing ... but just a few. Come on .... join us! Our Roll call has about 90 people already signed up!!!!

That will be a great cruise. I'm not sure about the bears though. Depends on where you are looking, but generally salmon = bears, and they are not running in May.

Rather than edit last post....

We went in June at solstice time and there were no bugs on the cruise. A few near Denali but not bad at all.

For the cost of a cruise tour we rented a car in Seward (and exchanged for week rental in Anchorage next day) and drove to Valdez, Fairbanks, took overnight flight to Barrow, spent a day at Denali and then back to Anchorage. We stopped when we wanted. Took spur of moment side trips, ate what & where we wanted and nobody told us when to get up (except one day to catch plane out of Barrow). Stayed mostly in B&Bs and bought stuff at stores for picnic lunches.

My avatar pic on my posts was taken on deck of the Talkeetna Lodge where we had a great lunch on 2nd to last day and it was 80 degrees out.

Now, here's someone that saw Alaska (although a relatively small part of it ;) ). I bet you had a great drive from Seward to Anchorage with all the scenic turnabouts along the way. Did you happen to catch sight of any of the Dawl sheep on the cliffs?

How did you get to Denali? Generally to get to drive into the park, you have to apply for a permit and they only give out a limited number each year as part of a lottery system. Otherwise, you could take the Alaska Railroad, which is what I did one year. Didn't spend nearly enough time there and want to go back.

How did you like the town of Fairbanks? It's nothing like what you remember in the winter. Last week, it was -50 degrees! :eek: The hot water springs is likely the best draw to that town.

So you actually made it to Barrow, huh? I must say, you guys did some serious traveling in such a small amount of time. Glad to hear you had fun. Would you please tell people that we don't always have snow, are below freezing and drive dog mushing teams? I'd appreciate it. :p

I asked the same questions as you did a year ago! I have to admit, last year's summer in Vancouver was a wash-out, and I wasn't happy to be leaving a warmer place to go to a colder one! Sailaway day was cool, grey, and drizzly, too, which also didn't improve our mood.

HOWEVER, we ended up having a spectacular time, and I will definitely head up there again (you can't beat not having to fly to go). I did lounge on deck once (funnily enough, it was glacier day), but there are no pool games and stuff like that. The solarium is nice, too.

Hi Sue!:p

That will be a great cruise. I'm not sure about the bears though. Depends on where you are looking, but generally salmon = bears, and they are not running in May.

We were in Alaska a couple of years ago mid May, and between my son and me, we saw 30 bears. We sometimes took different excursions. :D

Now, here's someone that saw Alaska (although a relatively small part of it ;) ). I bet you had a great drive from Seward to Anchorage with all the scenic turnabouts along the way. Did you happen to catch sight of any of the Dawl sheep on the cliffs?

How did you get to Denali? Generally to get to drive into the park, you have to apply for a permit and they only give out a limited number each year as part of a lottery system. Otherwise, you could take the Alaska Railroad, which is what I did one year. Didn't spend nearly enough time there and want to go back.

How did you like the town of Fairbanks? It's nothing like what you remember in the winter. Last week, it was -50 degrees! :eek: The hot water springs is likely the best draw to that town.

So you actually made it to Barrow, huh? I must say, you guys did some serious traveling in such a small amount of time. Glad to hear you had fun. Would you please tell people that we don't always have snow, are below freezing and drive dog mushing teams? I'd appreciate it.

BBDA...

It was an outstanding trip for our 25th anniversary that we planned in as great a detail as a moon shot by NASA. Everything went like clockwork...except two weather related items...heli-tour to glacier in Juneau (low ceilings) and fog delayed flight to Barrow.

No sheep along Turnagain Arm but I had seen them there on previous business trips to Anchorage when I drove down to Alyeska for diner at 7-Glaciers. We did not go into the park at Denali but we did have spectacular weather and a nice view from a B&B near Healy as we soaked in their hot tub.

I liked Fairbanks a lot but we were only there one night. One very bright night on 25th of June. So had to come back to MN and wait for January to see some cold. We have actually considered a winter northern lights trip to Chena Hot Springs someday. It's going to be -15 here tomorrow so what's a few less degrees when its that cold? After Fairbanks we stopped in Nenana and bought ice-out tickets...needless to say we didn't win.

Barrow was amazing. If I ever wrote a story about a colony on Mars it would be based on Barrow. The people were wonderful but the landscape was stark. It was snowing when we arrived on June 26. But then around 1am the sun came out shining on the Arctic Ocean and it was spectacular. I just had to take a picture of the sun straight in the north...you can't do that very many places! Food prices were odd....meat was cheaper than fresh vegies..but Pepe's North of the Border mexican place was interesting for lunch and we got to meet Fran the owner.

Aside from in the mountains or far north Alaska was GREEN and lush. In summer anyway. I've been to Anchorage in December and it is very much like Minnesota in December...except a little more wet snow.

Really...Alaska is a not to be missed experience. The scenery, the people and the wildlife are unlike anywhere else.

I prefer the Alaska cruises---they are an assault on the sences---scenery passing by almost constantly--and 16 hours of daylite to see it---the constant surprise of a whale sighting from the ship --or a bear on the shore

your having breakfast and look out and there's a pod of whales---you are almost scared to sleep for fear of missing something---I can't understand how they manage to sell one bingo card on these cruises --at least while there is lite--lol

jmho

PAul

Thanks for all your replies. We have been to Hawaii three times, and in Mexico and the Caribbean I don't know how many times beside the cruises we have taken. We will probably plan a cruise for "09. Thanks again for all your advice.

Archived