Taking the solo plunge!

marcmarc2

Hi all! Well, after more than a year of lurking in this area and considering my next cruise, I'm finally taking the solo plunge next January! I can't believe it'll be five years from my last cruise. And since I'm a balcony snob, I even splurged to get my favorite extended balcony.

My ability to cruise has always been far greater than my ability to find a traveling companion. I divorced two years ago, and even though my ex enjoyed the experience, he really didn't get into cruising. He prefered sitting on the beach or sun deck all day. I combust in the sun.

So, about a year ago, when I first seriously considered cruising again, I thought back to all those times where he was at the pool or the cabin, and I was at the dance classes, Cruise Critic parties, horseracing and trivia, that not only was I at ease socializing by myself, but I actually became a social butterfly where many fellow CCers knew my name. And I always get along well with the crew. I came to the conclusion that a travel partner might only slow me down. That epiphany, along with reading all the solo experiences here, has given me a great deal of confidence. I'm a poor diver, but I'm gonna do a great big cannonball into the solo pool. Thanks so much!

Another welcome to world of solo cruising:)

I am going again in 3 weeks:D and cannot wait. Sailing for

my 50th birthday for 10 nights.

What better way to celebrate!:D ...there is no other way;)

I see you are going to Constellation. I sailed her in Dec 2004

and had a wonderful time!

Enjoy your cruise:)

Congrats!

I'm going on my first solo in 6 days and have another scheduled in 7 weeks. I have found that I just love cruising and I am a widow so solo is the way to go for me.

Have a great time!

Winnie

pa: I wonder how CC would take to having a Sticky for solo cruisers to meet up before their cruise.... just like a Roll Call but for Solo's and not to find roomates.

Just a thought

Another welcome to world of solo cruising:)

I am going again in 3 weeks:D and cannot wait. Sailing for

my 50th birthday for 10 nights.

What better way to celebrate!:D ...there is no other way;)

I see you are going to Constellation. I sailed her in Dec 2004

and had a wonderful time!

Enjoy your cruise:)

Hi Lois, I am back in FL again for 2 months but this starts my 3rd week of it. Have great Birthday cruise!! I enjoyed my Century cruise and had a good time and it was so nice to have good food every night in the dinning room again. My big TA cruise is coming up fast and I can't wait. I bought a new DSLR with my tax refund for the cruise. In Oct I think I am going on the Mariner again. I got my sister and her friend set up and after looking that is a good week for me to cruise as well with the only issue being the dreaded single supp but I think I am just going to do it. Hope things are good on the other side of FL.

Hi Winnie,:) not a bad idea but in reality that is what Roll Calls

are for;)

Yes........You're right! But that is

AFTER a cruise is booked.

I'd personally like to find a site to find fellow travelers who would like to share a cabin as the single supplement is brutal.. I've heard horror stories about roomates but If there were a place to chat beforehand so you could get an "idea" about people to share a cabin with it may just be beneficial for us 3+ million solo cruisers.

Yes........You're right! But that is

AFTER a cruise is booked.

I'd personally like to find a site to find fellow travelers who would like to share a cabin as the single supplement is brutal.. I've heard horror stories about roomates but If there were a place to chat beforehand so you could get an "idea" about people to share a cabin with it may just be beneficial for us 3+ million solo cruisers.

Ohh...ok I misunderstood.

Not something I would participate in but now I get it;)

At almost 50 years of age I have been living on my own for almost

1/2 that amount of time. My space is very important to me...

My own cabin is a top priority:). I know the single supplement

is high but it is worth every penney to me.

in what is being proposed, but I wouldn't be interested either. Actually, it sounds like Lois and I are living parallel lives. I'm turning 50 this year and I've lived by myself since after college. I don't have to share space at home so I can't imagine wanting to do so on my vacation.

Why not try to find potential cabin-mates on Craig's list - or some similar website? It would be a lot more work than the cruise critic board, but I think CC just really doesn't want to get involved in matching up roomies.

Ohh...ok I misunderstood.

Not something I would participate in but now I get it;)

At almost 50 years of age I have been living on my own for almost

1/2 that amount of time. My space is very important to me...

My own cabin is a top priority:). I know the single supplement

is high but it is worth every penney to me.

The first time I ever took a cruise on my own I watched as two people who had not know each other previously coped with their sharing experience. One became quite ill and the other had to care for her. I swore then that I would never have a cabinmate unless it was a very good friend I would be willing to care for if something happened. I do think also that being on my own I become much more outgoing and probably meet more people than if I had a "partner".

Please note Host Andy's Sticky thread above titled Reminder : Asking For Roomates Is Against Community Guidelines.

Per the Guidelines we all agreed to follow with our free membership:

Other Cruise & Travel Sites

Cruise Critic reserves the right to approve or deny links which lead directly to or link to cruise-related material or message boards that is not located within Cruise Critic. This does not mean all links will be removed, but rather that they will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.

Miscellaneous

Bascially, an ad is an ad. So, please no posting of "looking for roommate" type posts, tour shares (except in ROLL CALL threads), giveaways, ebay links, etc. etc.

Name or site of any travel agent/agency or other cruise-related site or message board is not allowed.

The share requests can be made on the Roll Call thread for your cruise. You are targeting the specific group of people who would be most inclined to share since they are already sailing with you.

Also, the following information is posted on Cruise Critic in many places:

Questions, comments & concerns regarding the management of our message boards should be directed to: community@cruisecritic.com. Posts regarding these issues will be removed.

If anyone has any questions, comments or concerns about the Cruise Critic policy or site feedback, please feel free to send an e-mail to management. As stated in the Contact Us instructions, please remember to include your user name and e-mail of record with Cruise Critic. All e-mails are answered in the order received. With 329,565 members as I type this reply and e-mails being received 24/7, please be patient for your reply.

Kat 110105_emYA42_prv.gif

I am taking the solo plunge as well!!! I have spent a good deal of time reading this thread and had NO idea that so many people cruised on their own. I am so looking forward to this!!! My husband and son will be on a fishing trip with my BIL and nephews, so this is MY spring break. I have a couple of good books to read and am ready to relax.

Archived