Tips for travelling w/ family of 4

LunaSmiles

My family of 4, DH, DD and DS are cruising next month, departing from FLL. We have to stay in a hotel the night before as we are coming from the West coast. I didn't purchase air with the cruise line or a TA, I did everything on my own. We are staying at the Extended Stay on 17th Street. Any tips on what time we should leave the hotel for the ship - I apologize for not using the correct terminology. There are no shuttles. Also, we will each most likely have 2 suitcases, how would we all fit into a cab? Will there be taxi's already at the hotel or will we have to call one? As you can see, we certainly aren't seasoned travellers and I have so many questions because I want this to go smoothly!! Any help/tips would be so appreciated!

You will probably be able to fit into a cab depending on the size of the bags. Have the front desk at your hotel call you a cab. There probably won't be any just waiting around. Tell the front desk you have 8 bags so they make sure you have room. Usually check in is as early as 1:00 - check your documents. We always go as early as we can so that way, we get on the ship, and as we get our bags, we can unpack. Usually we are unpacked and familiar with the ship by the time we leave port. Have a great time!

I usually leave around 12 or so and most of the time the hotel will have a doorman and taxis will be waiting. It is only a ten minute ride and will cost 10 to 15 dollars. You did the right thing in FLL not getting cruise transfers and doing everything on your own. It really is easy. They do have some van type cabs...

Pack swim suits and other items in your carry on bags that you will enjoy using in the time before your baggage finds its way to your room on the ship. Don't forget sandals or whatever shoes your family likes to wear with swim suits.

The ship is a resort for your use even prior to sail away.

Hi Lunasmiles,

I think everything has been covered by all responses. We just did the same with our two sons out of FLL last March and had a great time. Our hotel had a shuttle but we took a cab from the airport to the hotel with no problem. It's a cruise port town so they're waiting for you and have done it before. All you have to do now is have a wonderful cruise!!:D

Barry

I have a similar question. On the way home from our cruise, we will be staying at the Ocean Sky Hotel on Galt Ocean drive. We are a super early flight the next morning on a Sunday. It would be nice to travel together, but if we have to take separate cabs to the airport we will.There are two families (for a total of 8 people).Which mode of transportation do you suggest I take from the hotel? I would like to leave by 4:30 am at the latest to be at the airport for 5:00 am as our international flight is at 7:00 am. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

You should be able to get a van type taxi that would fit all of you. May be a little tight depending on the amount of bags but it's not a long ride to the airport. Try emailing the hotel and see if they have a shuttle bus first and if not ask about having a taxi at your hotel ready for your departure. They should be able to call a cab company and arrange that. Have a great time!

1. Like everyone else said, request a van type cab.

2. be sure that everyone has 1 day worth of clothes in their carry on (including pants for men) sometimes your bags won't come till after dinner.

3. They may let people on board as early as 11:00, even though your cabin won't be ready it's nice to explore the ship and get a feel for where everything is.

4. In addition to the tags they gave you for your luggage I'd also put a big sticker on it (night before cruise) giving your last name, ship name and cruise dates, personally I'd hand the bags over as close to embarkation as possible, don't let a porter take them as soon as you step foot on the dock you don't want your bags taking a different cruise than your family.

5. In FL night before cruise go to a market and buy a few 12 packs of the sodas and waters that your family likes, take along one of those little collapsible trolleys for this, at the dock give the bag handler a few bucks to make sure that these get to your cabin, it'll save you a surprising amount of money (4 soda cards x $6 day that's $24 a day you save. You can always get a free cup of ice for your soda.

6. Have fun!

Archived