what we did on Barbados

Qino2

Just came back and this board was really helpful in planning my day so I'm gonna pay it forward with my advice. It was windy that day and blowing from the east, so I guessed the west coast beaches would be rough. We took a cab to Accra beach on the south coast and the water was beautiful and calm. Cost was $30 round trip for the 4 of us. It was $5 a chair, and the price is in Barbados dollars, which is about $2.50US. So $5US for 2 chairs is what you should pay. I saw several unknowing people pay twice the price. The port was crazy that day with 6 ships docked. DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT, stand in the line for taxi’s that is right when you exit the terminal. The line is long and they will try to fill up vans going to the same beaches, or to the caves, or wherever. These guys are sharks and will tell you Blue Monkey beach is the best, and it is definitely not. They get kickbacks from certain beaches and will try to take you to extremely crowded, expensive places. Keep walking outside the gate, and there you will find reasonably priced regular cabs, no lines, and they will take you wherever you want to go. Found out later the west coast beaches were very rough, some so much so that they were closed, leaving the open ones very crowded. A lady on the cruise with us got knocked down in the waves at Blue Monkey and tore a bunch of ligaments in her knee, poor thing. Accra beach was lovely, calm, and uncrowded. Highly recommended.

It was windy that day and blowing from the east, so I guessed the west coast beaches would be rough. ===> No,not becoz of the wind, but becoz of a North swell rolling down!

We took a cab to Accra beach on the south coast and the water was beautiful and calm.

Cost was $30 round trip for the 4 of us.

It was $5 a chair .. the price is in Barbados dollars, which is $2.50US. ===> Precisely!

So $5US for 2 chairs is what you should pay. ===> Yes.

I saw several unknowing people pay twice the price. ===> Always specify what currency we're talkin,here!

The port was crazy that day with 6 ships docked. ===> Yikes!!

DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT, stand in the line for taxi’s that is right when you exit the terminal.

The line is long and they will try to fill up vans going to the same beaches, or to the caves, or wherever.

These guys are sharks and will tell you Blue Monkey beach is the best,

and it is definitely not.

They get kickbacks from certain beaches and will try to take you to extremely crowded, expensive places.

Keep walking outside the gate, and there you will find reasonably priced regular cabs, no lines, and they will take you wherever you want to go. ===> That's million-dollar advice,right there!

Found out later the west coast beaches were very rough, some so much so that they were closed, leaving the open ones very crowded. ===> Had to be a North swell running,that day.

They come up suddenly and ain't a thing anyone can do about it!

A lady on the cruise with us got knocked down in the waves at Blue Monkey and tore a bunch of ligaments in her knee, poor thing. ===> Yup. North swell!

Accra beach was lovely, calm, and uncrowded.

Highly recommended. ===> You've been enlightened.;)

Listen up, people.

This(above!) is excellent on-the-ground advice

from someone who's bin there done that.

Maybe even bought the T-shirt, too... :)

http://www.angelfire.com/wizard2/cncisland/bigships/Accra.html

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Qino2,

Great report...much apreciated. A couple questions:

• I see that you mentioned chairs...can umbrellas be rented as well?
  • Are there any beach bars...just a beachfront place to grab some beers and possibly some grub.
  • Did you notice if the water was even calmer towards the east (if facing the water to your left)?

Thanks,

Chris

Thanks for your review. Since the caves will be closed the day we will be ther (that sucks!), we are just looking to take a cab to the beach.

I, also would like to know if there were chairs to rent and somewhere close to eat.

Glad you had a great time!

Archived