Cirque Masquerade Ball - Tell me I'm wrong!

robsvacation

Ok, I've been considering spending the extra to travel Celebrity with the introduction of the Cirque du Soleil experience. But I've been hearing rumors from aTA friend and online regarding the Masquerade Ball:

$300

I don't know if that's per person or couple, eitherway that's rediculous, perhaps insulting. Now, I'm a HUGE CdS fan (will be seeing Varekai this weekend for the 3rd time, 12th CdS show in 4 years) but for that price 2 could see either Ka or O in Las Vegas or do the Tapas Rouge Experience at a traveling show. I can't see myself paying that much to walk around in a mask and see a contortionist close up, I can't see alot of other people ponying up that kind of cash.

I suppose this price is a rumor right now, has anyone heard anything different? I know the "Bar at the Edge of the Earth" is suppose to be complimentary most other nights.

Ok, THAT I would pay in a heartbeat.

Now I just need to book tickets to see Ka (the show opening at the MGM Grand), Zumanity and the yet unnamed Cirque 2005 traveling show.

Having rushed to see Varekai in Montreal shortly after it opened I know to wait a few monthes after a CdS show opens to give it time to settle. Varekai was much better in Toronto (the 3rd city it played) than Montreal, they re-did the timing of the acts and some of the lighting, really helped the show out.

Ka really interests me for a couple of reasons. One is that dance director is from a really interesting modern dance troupe I saw perform once, 2nd is that I really perfer the Cirque shows with a bit of a narative. The Martial Arts aspect also seems cool, but maybe that's just because I just saw "Hero" at the movies.

Cirque 2005 (I can't believe they are selling tickets before they even name the show) looks interesting if just for the seating chart: this is their first show that is truly "theater in the round" with seats a full 360 degrees around the stage.

Zumanity, well, perhaps I want to see that just for the shock value, and to "complete my collection" (although I still haven't seen Saltimbanco live yet, Europe is a long way to go for a show)

All this and the new Mirage show sometime in 2005, I'm begining to wonder is they aren't watering down the CdS brand just a little bit.

<<O>> is likely the theatrical achievement of our time. I've never seen a production that good, that astounding from moment you enter the theater until the curtain call (stay until the end, DO NOT rush out) The staging is beyond incredible, the sets and scenes melt seamlessly into each other. Everything has been considered; even the drawing of the curtain is breathtaking. Be prepared to frequently question everything you thought to be humanly possible. And make sure to look around the stage frequently, the main act is always accompanied by delicate subplots and mini-stories.

One moment the air is filled with huge scale acrobatics that redefine gravity and human capability, minutes later the simplicity of a single performer playing a tribal instrument in soft gentle lighting, his reflection across a pool of ankle deep water, leaves you only to wonder what free minds are able to produce live images more vivid and intoxicating than the dreams you have at night...

Oh yeah, I liked it! Twice! And if you've never seen Cirque du Soleil before this is them at their best. My only warning: be prepared to have your brain turned inside out.

But that said $130 is ALOT to pay for an hour and half of anything! If that doesn't make you say "Oh" too loudly it's a must see. The theater is huge and I highly recommend seats on the main floor about 1/2 to 3/4 of the way back, any closer and you lose perspective, and from the very back the performance seems too far away.

"O" was terrific. We saw it 1 1/2 years ago and are still talking about it. We recommend it to everyone who goes to Vegas. Those who have been lucky enough to see it more than once say it is best to view it from the floor and the balcony too. We saw it from the balcony [my mother-in-law took 14 of us - I booked the tickets and just didn't have the heart to hit her with the $2,100 price tag]. My sister just saw it from the floor. We all loved it including my super sceptical sister in law. It was our 4th Cirque show and we hope one day to see them all. We look forward to booking our tickets on our Milli next May. We wouldn't think of passing it by.

O was definitely amazing. I really enjoyed the balcony seats, which gave a great view of the everything going on in the pool. Zumanity was also a lot of fun - a lot of familiar Cirque flavor with a twist. I've seen just about all of them and not a single one disappointed.

Rob - Where can you get tix for the 2005 traveling show? I already have tix for Ka in Jan, but hadn't heard about another traveling one.

Mystere is equally wonderful. Have seen it 4 times. I am going to Vegas tomorrow and wish we had bought tickets to "O" but my friend is taking 3 other people at her expense and $600.00 for tickets was more than she could spend. Well maybe the next trip to Vegas we will go.

I guess I'm up to five different Cirque productions at this point (Saltimbanco, Mystere, Quidam, O, and Alegria) as well as a behind-the-scenes tour at the Montreal facility many years ago. The permanent installation shows tend to top those that travel -- but mostly because they can build more elaborate sets and special effects. "O" was the most distinctive of the Cirque shows I've seen and would only be possible in a permanent installation. I was in the balcony for this one, because the show was still pretty new and I only called a few weeks in advance, but the sightlines in the theater are good and I used opera glasses to get close ups of the performers and track the ... uhm ... stagehands.

If you can stomach the $150 price tag, then go, go, go.

Cirque 2005, the as yet un-named new traveling show, opens next spring in Montreal followed by a stop in Quebec City. These two cities are always the first two stops for for the Cirque traveling shows. Tickets are on sale already at www.cirquedusoleil.com. I think you need to sign up for the "cirque club" (their online newletter) to access the ticket sales area: I believe they're still pre-selling tickets just to members right now (it's free to join). Coolest thing: The Grand Chapiteau will be true "theater in the round" this time, with seats a full 360 degrees around the stage.

Both Dralion and Varekai had Toronto as their 3rd tour stop, I actually recommend waiting to see it there. I saw Varekai in its first month in Montreal and later in Toronto. The show was much better in Toronto, the order of the acts had changed, the performers seemed more settled in their roles, everything flowed better.

Also in the spring, the Montreal Circus School puts on a production by it's graduates, if you time it right you may be able to see both. A third option is Cirque Eloize, another troupe out of Quebec that does a traveling show to regular theaters.

Now we are definiteely going to have to see O!

Called teh box office,and all that is available for our dates are "limited view" seats. Does anyone know what this means? Alternatively,we will have our hotel concierge for same-day cancellations.

If I remember correctly I was told limited view seats are either partially behind something that at certain angles your sightline to the entire stage is blocked......whew!

Have a cute Cirque story......DW and I were in Denver for a long week end several years ago, took the train from the S.F. Bay Area. We were walking around the city and saw a big "circus tent" in the background of the train station so decided to walk over there. When we got near the station there was a sign reading something like Cirque Du Soliel tickets NOT sold here and it gave directions to the box offices around the corner. We walked over, got there about 20 minutes before a show was too begin, asked some people what the deal was as we had never heard of this and decided to get tickets althought we thought they were really pretty expensive. We got seats about 12 rows back, center stage and I am pretty sure that was the first live performance of anything I have ever seen where I did not look at my watch ONCE during the show. So now we are 7 shows later and looking forward to what they have to offer when we sail to Hawaii, sure we will go the bucks, why not?

I'm a member of the Cirque Club, which is how I found out about Ka and got preview tix before they sell to the general public (I also found out these shows are usually during a time when they're still tweaking the performances). I probably didn't get a notification about the new traveling show because it hasn't gotten near my location yet (San Francisco). I'm looking forward to it though - thanks for the heads-up!

Just back from seeing Varekai in DC this afternoon. Show is still excellent, one of the better traveling shows. Lots of new cast from when I saw this show in Montreal and Toronto (and on the DVD) and it's one act shorter than the previous version, a couple of acts removed and only one added back in. Could have just been the perforance I saw, a know they add and replace acts as needed.

Anyways, hopefully CdS can breath some freshness into the ship's disco (don't these always feel more like a bad wedding than a club?) I can see how a few performers could liven the place up. Too bad CdS didn't take over the main shows, it would be a complete week of heaven for me then and I'd book Celebrity in a heartbeat!

• 2 months later...

I have never been to any CdS shows when I was in Las Vegas before, as I am not into circus thing and my impression has been that their shows are mostly just that with a theme. After having heard so much raving about CdS' shows (and comments on KA outdoing O) and excitement of them being on Celebrity, I decided to go to KA at MGM Grand over my weekend visit in Las Vegas. Well, I like the music and especially the set. But other than that, it is just another circus show to me. I think one major reason for me is that I've had watched too much martial art, Peking Opera (fighting scenes), and rythmic gymnastic before. These must be something unique for this show and I believe it appeals to many. I don't really enjoy the costumes (for human characters) very much, knowing what they are trying to combine from. Still a good show, just not for me. And after hearing the disappoinment of the first Ball on ship, I am going to save myself $30 (after spending $150 for KA) for my upcoming trip on Connie.

Keep in mind,folks, that the Cirque "experience" on Celebrity is not a show. Right now it's a theme bar (no charge) and a Masquerade Ball ($30 pp) that needs work to make it worthwhile. Last week was disappointing, but I'm optimistic it will improve. It's still going to appeal more to those of us who are already Cirque fans.

Sheila

Keep in mind,folks, that the Cirque "experience" on Celebrity is not a show. Right now it's a theme bar (no charge) and a Masquerade Ball ($30 pp) that needs work to make it worthwhile. Last week was disappointing, but I'm optimistic it will improve. It's still going to appeal more to those of us who are already Cirque fans.

Sheila

I think it's going to have to go alot further than to appeal to Cirque fans. What about the passengers complaining about the loss of the forward lounge?? What about the passengers who are not familiar with Cirque and have no interest? What about the passengers who have seen the Cirque show and don't feel it's worth the money spent to see the show on Celebrity because it's not what they were expecting???

Archived