Ok, hard for me to ask this question, honest answer please

Liesje

I have been trying to lose some weight for some time now, have been doing good lately, but I'm still not ready for swimsuit season. I'm boarding the Norwegian Sun this saturday and I would hate to pass up the oppurtinity to swim in that beautiful caribbean water just because I don't feel comfortable in my bathing suit.

The problem though is that my bathing suit is a bikini from 4 years ago that fit my much better before I put on the extra pounds (haven't been to a beach for that long a period of time, swore I would never swim in Dutch waters).

I think I still look decent in it (have always had big boobs) but I'm afraid that I won't be comfortable wearing it in public :o

I have been looking at new bathing suits but I just don't want to spend all that money on something I will (hopefully) never wear again.

Is there anyone in this situation and any advice you can give me?

Thanks in advance

Is there a specific area of your body you are concerned about? If it's your bum, you might look for board shorts that have more coverage than the typical bikini bottom. Or maybe find a less expensive new suit that you're more comfortable in. I know you don't want to buy one just for this trip, but if it makes you more comfortable about being in swimwear and enjoy the cruise and water more, then it would probably be worth it, wouldn't it?

But I gotta tell you, you will see people much larger than you in swimsuits having a wonderful time. It's a vacation, so go and have a good time regardless.

I have been trying to lose some weight for some time now, have been doing good lately, but I'm still not ready for swimsuit season. I'm boarding the Norwegian Sun this saturday and I would hate to pass up the oppurtinity to swim in that beautiful caribbean water just because I don't feel comfortable in my bathing suit.

The problem though is that my bathing suit is a bikini from 4 years ago that fit my much better before I put on the extra pounds (haven't been to a beach for that long a period of time, swore I would never swim in Dutch waters).

I think I still look decent in it (have always had big boobs) but I'm afraid that I won't be comfortable wearing it in public :o

I have been looking at new bathing suits but I just don't want to spend all that money on something I will (hopefully) never wear again.

Is there anyone in this situation and any advice you can give me?

Thanks in advance

You are on vacation! Buy a new suit.....it is never good to feel uncomfortable. Target, Old Navy, etc......all have inexpensive options for tops/bottoms/tankinis/one piece, etc.....even Costco had a few one piece suits last time I was in(limited selection).

Get a flattering suit and you will feel much better......put the bikini away until the next cruise.......that's my advice.

Have a nice trip.:)

Liesje,

As Gordonchick asked, where is the area of concern? I also had the same problem after going through breast Cancer treatment & put on a few pounds. I just found a cheap tank top to wear over it that matched, to cover tummy area. Also found a cheap pareo to tie around waist to give upper thigh coverage.I also didn't want to have to buy a whole new suit. Jax:)

You are on vacation! Buy a new suit.....it is never good to feel uncomfortable. Target, Old Navy, etc......all have inexpensive options for tops/bottoms/tankinis/one piece, etc.....even Costco had a few one piece suits last time I was in(limited selection).

Get a flattering suit and you will feel much better......put the bikini away until the next cruise.......that's my advice.

Have a nice trip.:)

If they have Target, Old Navy or Costco in Holland ;)

To the OP, what will you have as a memory? The joy of swimming in the beautiful Caribbean waters, or the regret that you could not go in for lack of a bathing suit?

Find an inexpensive suit to purchase. If you cannot decide before going, you may be able to purchase one at your departure port city (if you arrive a day or so in advance :) ), on one of the islands or even onboard the ship.

Even K-mart has really cheap suits, but I don't know about this time of year. Land's End and LL Bean have swim suits on sale from last year's styles, but you'll never be able to get one in time. maybe you could if you pay overnight shipping, but then the suit will be no bargain.

If you haven't been swimming in a long, long time, my biggest concern about a bikini would be sunburn. Can you wear that bikini with some kind of cover up or T-shirt that you can wear into the water?

Lastly--please don't be self-conscious no matter what you decide to wear. You ought to see the size and shape of some of the people in swim suits--men and women both. They are completely at ease with themselves. Enjoy your cruise and have a ball swimming.

Thanks everyone for the honest responses. I'm flying to Miami on thursday and am going shopping friday. I'll try to find something that I like.

I need a bathing suit with good chest support, I'm afraid that cheap just may not be an option in my case. It took me a long time to find a bathing suit that was fitting to my needs (this was several years ago and that was on a vacation in Curacao)

The area I'm most worried about is my tummy, don't know how much a one piece bathing suit wil help there :confused:

I will bring the bikini just in case I don't find anything and wear a nice cover up. I know someone mentioned Old navy and Target. Anywhere else I could find a nice bathing suit??

Thanks y'all

Wait until you see who is wearing what! You won't feel at all out of place! And to be honest, few will be looking at you! It's the truth--folks just don't pay any attention to others! (I guess everyone is worried about themselves and how they look!)

If it fits and you like it--wear it! You won't know any of these other people, anyway.

Go ahead and be proud of what you've got--after all, its the only body you have! Love it!

I will bring the bikini just in case I don't find anything and wear a nice cover up. I know someone mentioned Old navy and Target. Anywhere else I could find a nice bathing suit??

Thanks y'all

Try Bealls. They are all over Florida and a wonderful place to shop! Great bargains!

Another vote for Bealls. Winners also has a huge selection of suits for all body types.

Last resort; nice tee shirt in similar colour.

Enjoy your cruise!

Kathy:)

Another vote for Bealls:D..."The FLORIDA STORE"

Also, Kohls has a great selection and they are all over

Florida too:)

I know Bealls is in Miami and I am almost positive Kohl's is

down there as well!

Thanks everyone for the honest responses. I'm flying to Miami on thursday and am going shopping friday. I'll try to find something that I like.

I need a bathing suit with good chest support, I'm afraid that cheap just may not be an option in my case. It took me a long time to find a bathing suit that was fitting to my needs (this was several years ago and that was on a vacation in Curacao)

The area I'm most worried about is my tummy, don't know how much a one piece bathing suit wil help there :confused:

Thanks y'all

I, too am big chested but I like to wear two pieces because I like to tan. I buy my suits on blueskyswimwear.com I really like the tube tops because they cover really well but are great for tanning. Then the bottoms that are the "V" shaped bottoms you might feel a little more comfortable in because they sit a little higher on the waist and hold in that "muffin top" type of thing and the back is pretty good coverage. Plus that "V" shape is flattering for the tummy area. Hope that helps!

If you don't feel totally comfortable in your old suit, I would just buy a new one - they have them cheap at Wal-Mart and K-Mart. Or you could just wear your old suit because who really cares? It's not like you're going to see any of those people again, right? :)

If you go to one of the big malls in Miami you should be able to find many options (Macy's, Dillard's, JC Penney's, Bloomingdales, plus boutique stores). You'll find Target and Bealls in strip malls. Bealls has a pretty good selection. I looked at Kohl's last week and wasn't overly inspired. All of the department stores have their swimwear in stock now in Florida. Sorry that so many posters have referred you to websites when you clearly don't have time to have something shipped to Amsterdam!

If you don't find something you love, then maybe pick up a pareo or other type of coverup. I find I am most self-conscious when walking around the pool, but am okay when sitting in a chair. So the coverup comes off when I'm sitting down!

Honestly, as long as the bathing suit covers up the important parts then try not to worry too much. There are virtually all shapes and sizes beside the pool. Most of us wish we were slimmer/taller/bustier/curvier/had flatter abs, but that doesn't stop us from sitting by the pool, or on the beach, or hitting that warm Caribbean water!

Have a wonderful time!

JMHO..

Most of us are harder on ourselves than others would ever be. If the suit you have fits wear it. Don't stress. I have seen all kinds of bodies, large to small to in shape and out of shape. It's a big deal to us but most people struggle with the same issues so most people aren't going to be judgemental. If you're worried about your tummy maybe wear a tank shirt over the bathing suit top.

Maybe the ship will have something or maybe a small boutique on one of your stops will have some suits. Most important thing is to have fun and don't worry be happy. :)

You could always change cruises and stand next to me!;)

I have had 4 babies and my belly isn't so perfect but I'll be the one in a different bikini each day! I bought 5, if I can even maybe wear a bikini I am so going to do it after the BBW I saw in a thong :eek: while she flirted with my hubby in Cuba last year! :D

Archived