Getting email on the ship

traciemarie

I'm taking my first cruise in two weeks (Westerdam, Oct 7th) and was wondering if people can send me email while I am on board. I know when my BF went on a Princess cruise, I could send him notes by emailing a princess email address with his name and state room in the subject line. Then Princess would print it and deliver it to his room. Does HAL offer this type of free service?

If you have your own e-mail set up at home, which I am assuming you do, you can access your e-mail account from the ship internet cafe. If not, then you can set up an account when you sign in on the internet, BUT it costs each time you use it, forgot how much. Use your own e-mail account, then it costs nothing each time you send an e-mail, just pay for the minutes.

I'm taking my first cruise in two weeks (Westerdam, Oct 7th) and was wondering if people can send me email while I am on board. I know when my BF went on a Princess cruise, I could send him notes by emailing a princess email address with his name and state room in the subject line. Then Princess would print it and deliver it to his room. Does HAL offer this type of free service?

Here is the info from HAL's website regarding email aboard the ship:

E-Mail and Internet

E-Mail and Internet: Guests can send and receive electronic mail in real-time, via a high speed satellite link 24 hours a day, satellite conditions permitting. You will be able to access a broad range of communication applications (e.g., Video Mail, CruisE-mail, Microsoft® Office and games just to name a few). You can surf the Internet, play games, check your stocks, read your E-mail, send a Video Mail to your loved ones back home and much, much more! Holland America has even set up your very own CruisE-mail address for you to use. We also have an Internet Manager on board to assist you. There is a charge for these services.

Your CruisE-mail address: Your first initial + last name + your four (4) digit cabin number (with no spaces in between) + @"shipname".cruisemail.net. For ships without a 4-digit stateroom number, add an extra zero before your stateroom number (i.e. stateroom 038 would be 0038).

Example: John Smith, in Cabin 0038 on the ms Rotterdam, - His CruisE-mail address will be: jsmith0038@rotterdam.cruisemail.net

Wireless and/or dial-up Internet access facilities are now being added to the fleet. If you wish to bring your laptop computer and use it on board, please contact Ship Services in advance to verify Internet accessibility for your specific ship and sailing.

Or.....set up a hotmail or yahoo account before you go. Have your friends/family use that addy and you can check it from internet cafes.

If you happen to have AOL (and some other ISP's), you can access your regular e-mail on the ship. I have AOL and can check my mail easily.

Thanks everyone for your quick reply. I do have personal accounts I will be checking at port (and maybe on the ship), but that wasn't exactly what I was asking....

The service on Princess would print emails sent to the shipname@princess.com address, and deliver them to the cruiser's state room, almost like getting snail- mail on board. This wasn't an advertised service, but something we picked up on these messageboards. Doesn't sound like anyone knows if HAL does this...I just thought it would be fun to get printed updates from home. :p

This is a neat thing that Princess does ! My daughter sent me an email everyday and it was delived to my cabin free ! I understand that Cunard also does this. Interesting that HAL does not.

It was great for me on the Grand as I did not have to waste time and money to see if she had written to me.

Archived