Could anyone actually dislike cruising?

MISSSNOOPYGIRL

I have a friend that doesn't like to cruise because it takes him away from his job too long. Even though he took his laptop and cellphone with him, that wasn't the same as being there to take care of the little problems that could pop up from day to day. Some people just can't be pleased.

My husband is just like this.. we are going on a cruise in almost 2 weeks.. this will be his first and i'm sure his last. . but hey I have 2 kids I can take and they will absolutely love it so I guess he can stay home while we go and have fun without him.

I've met people who did it once and hated it, cruising that is.:D

I've met others who thought it was ok , just not their idea of a good vacation. I don't get it. Every possible wish is taken care of for 4-8 days, someone else drives, cooks, cleans and entertains me. What else could I ask for?

Frankly I wish more people didn't like it. The ships are too full too often and that drives prices up.

You people who are "on the fence", go do a land vacation! I'm only kidding...

My FIL and SIL hate cruising and absolutely refuse to consider going on another one. My MIL says she didn't hate the cruise she went on but she has no desire to repeat the experience.

There was nothing that happened on their cruise that was bad-they just didn't enjoy the experience (well, except for Jamaica).

I have been on 3 cruises with people that HATED it.

My first cruise was with a friend. The post that commented on the friend who complained from the start to the ending could have been my first cruise. My friend started complaining from the moment we got to the airport to leave till we got home. By the time we landed at home, we were no longer talking to each other. It was with her that I figured out, you don't really know a person until you spend a week with them in a 150 sq ft!

My 2nd cruise was with my mother and a sil. It was the first trip my mother had taken away from my dad. OMG! She started crying as soon as he let us off at the airport. She was this way the old trip. It's amazing how something like that is forgotten over time. :rolleyes: She swore she would never cruise again. This has since changed. As my dad started cruising 3 years ago and they have sailed many many times since.

My 3rd cruise was my mother, grandmother, and myself. This has got to be the biggest mistake of my life!! A mistake I will never make again!! It was awful!! A disaster from the start! Our cabin wouldn't work for us. As it was originally my mother and I. My mother invited my grandmother (who is terrified of water) about 3 weeks before we sailed. We had to change cabins. Lucky for us there was still seats on the flight down and back. My grandmother refused to go out on the balconey and would stand in the room screaming at us for being out on it. She couldn't understand the room attendants at all. She didn't like them messing with her bed. Refused to go to the dining room. The drinks were all salty. Talk about culture shock. She couldn't understand why all these "foreign" people were on the ship. She was miserable and made sure everyone knew it and went out of her way to see that my mother and I were also. If she wasn't enjoying herself then nobody else was going to either!

Back to my mother. Like I said, amazing how you forget something over time. We finally got to do our mother/daughter cruise last week. My 2nd biggest mistake! She was miserable with out my dad. I will never sail with her again, without him!

It makes the trip with my sister sound like a good time. :eek:

I have been on 3 cruises with people that HATED it.

My first cruise was with a friend. The post that commented on the friend who complained from the start to the ending could have been my first cruise. My friend started complaining from the moment we got to the airport to leave till we got home. By the time we landed at home, we were no longer talking to each other. It was with her that I figured out, you don't really know a person until you spend a week with them in a 150 sq ft!

My 2nd cruise was with my mother and a sil. It was the first trip my mother had taken away from my dad. OMG! She started crying as soon as he let us off at the airport. She was this way the old trip. It's amazing how something like that is forgotten over time. :rolleyes: She swore she would never cruise again. This has since changed. As my dad started cruising 3 years ago and they have sailed many many times since.

My 3rd cruise was my mother, grandmother, and myself. This has got to be the biggest mistake of my life!! A mistake I will never make again!! It was awful!! A disaster from the start! Our cabin wouldn't work for us. As it was originally my mother and I. My mother invited my grandmother (who is terrified of water) about 3 weeks before we sailed. We had to change cabins. Lucky for us there was still seats on the flight down and back. My grandmother refused to go out on the balconey and would stand in the room screaming at us for being out on it. She couldn't understand the room attendants at all. She didn't like them messing with her bed. Refused to go to the dining room. The drinks were all salty. Talk about culture shock. She couldn't understand why all these "foreign" people were on the ship. She was miserable and made sure everyone knew it and went out of her way to see that my mother and I were also. If she wasn't enjoying herself then nobody else was going to either!

Back to my mother. Like I said, amazing how you forget something over time. We finally got to do our mother/daughter cruise last week. My 2nd biggest mistake! She was miserable with out my dad. I will never sail with her again, without him!

Sure, there are people that don't like cruising, and there are people that don't like sex... go figure. Both points of view seem insane to me.

As I have said before, I read in a signature, “Cruising is just like sex, if its bad, its your own damn fault.” I could not agree more.

My SIL will fall into this catagory. She in my oppinion has a problem.

She will not leave the house unless she has to and stays in her room 90% of the time Thus my opinion saying she has a problem.

We ended up talking them into going along with all of our family members, They received a huge upgrade from a Inside GA cabin to a Balcony on Verandah deck!:rolleyes: . When it came time for the muster drill she freaked out a little and had to be taken back to the cabin by carnival staff in a wheelchair. Then once she figured out they had room service we did not see her for the next three days. My brother and their girls absolutley loved it, and we are planning a family reunion cruise for 2009 but were already told she will not go. Hopefully my brother and the girls will be allowed..

I went with 2 of my best friends (2 women) one fun loving low maintenance sweetheart, and one high maintenance diva. Well the Diva announced after the muster that she would never cruise again. Throughout the whole cruise we had to do what she wanted to take the edge off her complaining, so the cruise consisted of us spending every evening in the same bar drinking and not much else, she wouldn't even consider a show. I ended up spending so much time entertaining the diva, that my best friend had a miserable time and felt left out, this is a mistake that I will never repeat.

MAC

It makes the trip with my sister sound like a good time. :eek:

Oh you don't know half of it! I gave a very brief overview as to the cruise with my grandmother.

The highlights include:

the very loud ripping burp during the repeat cruiser party. Talk about making a room come to a stand still!

the very loud question on the sidewalk in downtown St. Thomas as to how did all the *insert the N word* get here?

Last, but not least and my favorite of them all. Was the very public and loud opinion of her distaste of my eating habits and my weight. Telling me at each meal how I should be watching what I ate, that I should be eating this or that.

All of this happened by day 3 of our 7 night cruise. If I could have found a flight under 1K in St. Thomas to fly home. I would have done so! After I told my mother to keep her mother the hell away from me, it was better. Stayed hidden the rest of the cruise only returning back to the room after I knew she was in bed.

Oh you don't know half of it! I gave a very brief overview as to the cruise with my grandmother.

The highlights include:

the very loud ripping burp during the repeat cruiser party. Talk about making a room come to a stand still!

the very loud question on the sidewalk in downtown St. Thomas as to how did all the *insert the N word* get here?

Last, but not least and my favorite of them all. Was the very public and loud opinion of her distaste of my eating habits and my weight. Telling me at each meal how I should be watching what I ate, that I should be eating this or that.

All of this happened by day 3 of our 7 night cruise. If I could have found a flight under 1K in St. Thomas to fly home. I would have done so! After I told my mother to keep her mother the hell away from me, it was better. Stayed hidden the rest of the cruise only returning back to the room after I knew she was in bed.

I think now we know why some people go missing on a cruise!

You poor thing, and this is your GM!.. mine was not much better i completely understand

I like a woman that knows what she likes.. err, loves......... Life is too short to settle for less. << This man always loves to hear that a woman loves his Avatar.

I am working on a CC Group cruise in Jan 10, 2009, on the Elation, San Diego, Cabo, Ensenada... Warm and Sunny, A bit different then Chicago in January.... and you can even bring your Husband or Boyfriend along....

WOW Good thing you had an 'explanation' of your avatar! I thought it was something completely different................:eek:

I don't think my step daughter and her husband are crazy about cruising. We've done two family cruises with them and they did one alone, but they always seem to want the cruise to be over and get home. It's a mystery to me. :confused:

I've met a few people who didn't like cruising just wasn't their thing. Others can take it or leave it. My DH doesn't understand it at all. I do. Just doesn't fit their personality. Some folks LOVE camping, my DH hates it. Everyone should find the vacation that floats their boat (no pun intended) and make memories to get them through the tough times.

I've been on one cruise and although I really enjoyed it and had a nice time, I've decided I don't really think I like cruising.

There were no negatives really, except that I found sea days to be very boring- and yes, i got out and went to the activities- I didn't just sit in my room waiting to be entertained.

I also didn't like that you couldn't tell you were on a ship. There was only one day where you could feel the waves- I like to know I'm on the water!

So if I do another cruise I think it will be a small ship expedition cruise, not a "fun ship". The "manufactored fun" just isn't my thing.

The ship was beautiful, the rooms nice, the food great, 2 out of 3 ports were great, the shows were lovely, but the days- boring.

I've been on one cruise and although I really enjoyed it and had a nice time, I've decided I don't really think I like cruising.

There were no negatives really, except that I found sea days to be very boring- and yes, i got out and went to the activities- I didn't just sit in my room waiting to be entertained.

I also didn't like that you couldn't tell you were on a ship. There was only one day where you could feel the waves- I like to know I'm on the water!

So if I do another cruise I think it will be a small ship expedition cruise, not a "fun ship". The "manufactored fun" just isn't my thing.

The ship was beautiful, the rooms nice, the food great, 2 out of 3 ports were great, the shows were lovely, but the days- boring.

You might like the Windjammer Barefoot cruises. Small ships, they can go to really cool places that the large cruise ships cannot go to, adventure type of cruises, etc.

http://www.windjammer.com/index.html

My Dad has been on two cruises & didn't like them. There's not enough to do onboard ship for him. He's not a bingo kinda guy or any of the games. Definitely not a hang by the pool for an entire day kinda guy. He likes to explore & be kept busy, just not a cruise kind of guy. He loved the food & the ports, but hated the days at sea. So yeah, there are certainly folks who are not cut out for cruising.

I somehow get the feeling that your idea of camping is ruffing it in a Motel 6... :D

Would you believe that's the quote I use when asked if I go camping?

I actually did spend one night sleeping on the ground in a tent with three other people. Although I'm sure the purists would scoff at my version of it and say I didn't really experience the "real" thing. But the imitation was enough for me :)

Archived