All things OASIS OF THE SEAS (formerly was: All Things Genesis)

mrcruzer

I know the press release states that bookings will open up late Summer. I am still thinking they will open in June. Fingers crossed anyway. It just makes more sense if the sailings are to begin the Fall of 2009 I would think bookings will be at least 16 months ahead of time. When they opened bookings for the Freedom wasn't it in Feb. or March? Then the Inaugural was in June.

That is correct Jan..bookings for Freedom inaugural opened up on Feb 28, 2005 for sailing on June 4, 2006

Pretty exciting info re Genesis :)

June 18th is the next press conference so maybe that is when we will find out what the date for crown and anchor members to book will be.

You got to be kidding me!!!! Im leaving for 2 months starting like June 10!!!! BTW: Where are you getting your info?

You got to be kidding me!!!! Im leaving for 2 months starting like June 10!!!! BTW: Where are you getting your info?

That info is posted on the Cruise Critic article. We decided tonight that we will be standing by to book the first cruise. After seeing the photos it made me want to be on it.

This is from the end of the Cruise Critic article:

"Another "big reveal" is already planned for June 18; pretty much everything else Royal Caribbean has up its sleeve will be announced then as booking is expected to open late summer. Stay tuned to Cruise Critic, as always, for the latest." http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=2514

This is from the end of the Cruise Critic article:

"Another "big reveal" is already planned for June 18; pretty much everything else Royal Caribbean has up its sleeve will be announced then as booking is expected to open late summer. Stay tuned to Cruise Critic, as always, for the latest." http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=2514

Thanks i read that article when i tcan out around 5:30 but i must have missed that part!

Mixed emotions here.............

The "innovations" are very interesting; however, from my perspective I like to take a leasurely stroll along the Promenade in a climate controlled environment at any time. Seems like it will be hot, humid and sticky, particularly during the day. RCI states it will be open to the elements with drainage etc. So it sounds like there won't be anything like a rolling roof. I'm just not sure about this approach. :-(

Anyone else have an opinion on the subject? Convince me please!!!

DrB

[subliminal message:=] 'INNOVATION of the SEAS"....'INNOVATION of the SEAS"..say it with me now.."INNOVATION of the SEAS"

I think you are right ;) INNOVATION OF THE SEAS and I like that name, you win again:D

Carol:)

OK So let's recap what came out of today's annoucement.

Central Park is confirmed, well we knew that from the pictures coming from Finland, but the new renderings are very interesting. I think it looks great but I am not going to be booking one of the balcony cabins that overlooks the interior of the ship. If I wanted to sit on my balcony and look and the building across the street and look down on grass and trees I would stay in Miami. I am one of those silly people that goes on a cruise to be on a SHIP! See the ocean, feel the waves etc. Call me crazy!

Central Park will be home to several restaurants including Chops Grill, Portifino, Vintages Wine Bar, The Central Park Cafe, and a bar called the Rising Tide, which looks to be some sort of elevated bar.

The rest of the renderings showed gardens and some of the shops in the Central Park. Including an art gallery and a photography studio.

To me the most impressive part was in the rendering of where the aft? part of Central Park meets what I am thinking is the aft? Centrum, that is very impressive. The rendering I am reffering to is the one called "Rising Tide Glass House" That is amazing and helps scale the ship.

What we didn't see is anything else. There appears to be a bridge spaning Central Park, which means I am guessing the pools will remain on the top deck. I am very curious to see how the pool deck looks, since they have to think that a very high percentage of the 5000 passengers are going to want to be up on deck overlooking the ocean, all at the same time. I know the ship is huge but I am thinking they must have something in the works to allow that many people on the upper decks with the middle of the deck open to below. Well see.

Now if they will just give it a half way decent name!!!!!!!

I agree with you on the balcony and looking at the ocean. If I want Central Park I will book a vacation in New York. The balconys looked really small also. the ship looks like it will be gorgeous but im thinking of embarkment, getting off in the ports, tenders, long lines on the ship and disembarkment. :eek: I will see all the reviews when she starts sailing and decide.

It seems like RCCL has enough ports lined up to go Genesis size that they can do alternating 7 night schedules. I wouldn't mind them going for a 10-14 night schedule that includes all the ports instead. It seems like most people here are in agreement that 7 nights is not long enough for this ship. The only thing I can see stopping them is that the Fort Lauderdale contract stipulates how many people move through the port per year which weekly passenger swaps help boost. I know they stipulate that the ship must spend it's first year there but I'm not sure if it also requires it to do 7 night cruises or not. Even if they just did one 14 night inaugural cruise for C&A only I think it would be nice. I know that allot of people here like to do B2B but my problem is that my favorite part of the cruise is going to the shows at night and having everything repeat takes that away for the second week. RCCL does read here so maybe if we say 14 nights enough they will go for it!

How are all these people saying they're on the Genesis first sailing? I thought it was darn near impossible to get on a first sailing, and since booking doesn't open until late summer - how can one claim they're going on it?

I'd love to go on it, but seeing as we'd need a room for 5, have no idea where it's sailing from or to, and no idea of the pricing, or if I'd even get a slot - how would one plan to be on this sailing?

Surely I'm missing something here... I'm so lost. :)

About all we know so far,is that the ship will be home ported in Port Everglades Fl.(Ft Lauderdale.) We are an official CC member cruise,and our group leaders are working with a groupTA. As soon as bookings open we will be booking our cruise. We have a group cruise board and would love for you to come check it out. You will find answers to most of your questions there. You can also get to know the group and if interested, put your name on the list of folks planning on going. By doing so, doesn't mean you are commiting to the cruise, just allowing our group leaders to keep track of how many and cabin preference for the TA. So please, come check us out:D Hope to see you there!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=519

From Seatrader:

"Genesis as a whole will have a richer mix of cabins; it’s designed so that only 20% of the 2,700 staterooms are insides, compared to about 40% on a traditional cruise ship, Fain noted. A June 18 event will reveal more about the accommodations in advance of sales opening in August."

I was hoping to book by June,but it looks like the first dates to book will be August according to Seatrader......

Big Al

The slow release of information about Genesis is actually making me feel tense (or maybe frustrated is a better choice of words). RCCL seems to be "teasing" us to build excitement but I do not respond well to teasing! I want to know all about it NOW and this slow release of info makes me crazed! I want to see pictures of the pools, all the neighborhoods, etc., etc. I hate waiting! Now it appears we have to wait until mid-June for more information? AARRGGHH!!!:mad:

RCL thinks that by doing this we will get excited and be one of the first to book. But, I am like you. I do not like surprises. RCL has have to have rendering drawings from the builders so put those out for us to see. That way we can see we watch it being build from the drawings all the way to the finishing touches.

Maybe some of the slow release of info is not just to build excitement but to prevent killing expectations. I would imagine there are a few ideas that will have to be modified as they build since no matter how much engineering and planning you put into something there are always some details that require a change along the way. Imagine if they said exactly what the ship was to be like and then due to unforseen issues a companent had to be changed. Most likely people would be more upset then if they had never known it was an option.

While some may not like the process of providing information about their new ship on a piecemeal basis, RCI clearly feels that the buzz that is created by gradually releasing this information is far greater and will last far longer than if they were to release everything at once. It has worked quite well for them in the past, so don't expect them to change their methods at this point. Releasing the information a bit at a time also allows everyone to focus on each individual new feature rather than have some features lost in the midst of all of the other features that would be revealed. Patience is said to be a virtue and if so, I guess, like it or not, we need to accept the way that they have decided to do things.:D

RCL thinks that by doing this we will get excited and be one of the first to book..

I think they know they have people like us, and would rather make a huge suprise to the non-cruising public with they did with the Today show and Freedom back in 06. If they leak too much out know it might not be as huge a media spectacle that I am sure they want to make the unveiling.

Archived