If You Don't Like Being Violated Don't Book A Cruise To Jamaica

Joedog

Wow! You cant be serious. I dont care how poor or hungry they are or how many drugs are in Montego Bay but to treat another human being like that is disgusting. That pat down wasnt uncomfortable it was humilating and disrespectful and there is absolutely no excuse in the world for it, especially in front of all the other passengers trying to get back on the ship. And this just be wary of where ya go, uhhhhh we were in a public port getting back on the ship not in some back alley. We had to go through this building to get back on the ship. And are they doing this to boys and teenagers? Thats child abuse. Seems to me Jamaica has more problems than poverty and drugs.

Sorry but you seem to be a bit off from what I said. Yes you should care about the drugs - there is a HUGE reason for the pat down..people smuggle drugs it is a BILLION $$$ industry. It is the fault of every person who smuggles them in those places that you should be venting your frustration with - they disrespected the country they were visiting as well as the one they came from. I am sure that if JA had more $$ they could afford drug sniffing dogs but they have to employ people instead. I am sure that some of the people may have been more aggressive than what they should have however..you are in a foreign country subject to their laws and customs dept. Just because you may be an upstanding citizen who is not smuggling drugs does not mean that other people aren't - how are they going to tell?. You don't have to look like your a back alley junky to have drugs. Teenagers are a HUGE drug risk as it is so easy to get drugs in JA. They bring them back onto the boat and then possibly turn around and try and sell them to possibly yours or someone else's children.

My point and I will try and make this more clear. Do not judge an entire island or it's people based on a few unsavory individuals or an unfortunate incident. Blaming the entire island of Jamaica for an over zelous/line crossing customs agent is like blaming Ronald McDonald for a bad cheeseburger...

I've been to Jamaica (all over) lots of times and never been subject to groping, nor seen or heard of anyone. Never seen a film crew there.

Last time I was on the Conquest (Nov 2007) was no exception.

That there was a film crew there tells me something special was going on.

I do know that tons of cocaine are funneled through Jamaica for, guess where, the United States. Perhaps if America wasn't so addicted to drugs, Jamaica would have fewer issues.

In any event, I will continue to visit Jamaica, including MoBay, in the future. No problem, mon.

Oh my God. I have heard it all now. It is "America's" fault the Jamaicans are like they are. Or should that be "rich" American's?

I love to travel the world. I have been places if I had not had peanut butter and ritz crackers I would have starved to death. I am usually up for anything. I have been threatened, I have been bitten by ungodly things, I have eaten things I really don't want to know what it was. I have had frostbite and I have been so hot I couldn't breathe. I basically have no fear. I will have no regrets if I wind up in a hospital bed with tubes in my body.

That being said,

Jamaica is the only place in the whole world I have found I will never visit again. And that includes France, who are the rudest people I have ever encountered, where we were thrown out of a restraunt because we tried to order our drinks before we ordered our meal. They kept saying something about stupid Americans. We just had a good lauh over that one.

And I did not even know about the latest abuse they are giving tourist.

Since I have not been to Jamaica in a long time, I really have no reason to recommend Carnival to stop going there, but to those of you who have been, I think a letter writing campaign is more than due.

I strongly urge any recent visitors to write Carnival reguarding you feelings on Jamaica. Who knows, it may even earn you a 45 day letter for your next cruise.

Attitudes and procedures need to be adjusted there or they will not have to worry about the "rich" Americans any longer.

Wow, I had no idea about the frisking. I've been to Ocho Rios twice....had a great time. It is true...drugs are everywhere but they are also everywhere in the US. Only here it's usually people that don't appear to be poor or poverty stricken are having, selling and doing. *shrug*

My experience in Ocho Rios was positive...the islanders that I spoke with were EXTREMEly nice and even commented about how they liked tourists there. He explained that if it wasn't for tourism, they'd have almost nothing.

Now, there are parts of ALL the islands I've been to, that I wouldn't want to go alone. There are tons of places that seem poverty stricken for sure.

I've never been to MoBay....but if I ever go, I guess I'll be forewarned!

OK--here's my two cents. Take it for what it's worth.

In Jamaica, you have to play by their rules. Just like anywhere else you go in the world.

Here in the US, that behavior is unacceptable, and I think we can all agree why. There are burdeons of proof we have to cover before a pat down/frisk, or a search of a person can begin. Here, you either have to get consent for a pat down/frisk, or you have to show reasonable suspicion that there is a need to do the pat down/frisk. For a search, which means going into pockets, under layers of clothes, and/or manipulating items-you need probable cause. Now you can develop your PC for a search through your pat down--not a problem.

Here's where the problem is.

During a pat down/frisk, you CAN NOT under any circumstance manipulate items that you may feel. By all means, check every area you can. For guys this is the groin area, and for girls this is the bra area. Most contraband is hid in these areas. With that being said, there are ways to do that without ,making it a completely humiliating process. On females, the back of the hand is used, so as to not igve the impression of "cupping" the area. You can also have the person pull their bra out from the front, and lean forward. For guys, you run the back of your hand up one pant leg, then into the groin area and back down the other side. Then you check the belt line.

IF you feel an item in this area, and based on your training and experience you believe the shape/size/texture is consistent with contraband, then you go into a search. This is usally done in a discreet area away from others. However, they are done along side the road in front of dash cams every day.

That is all part of a normal pat down here in the U.S.

In Jamaica, they have different rules. We are used to ours, and they have their's. We think it is wrong to sell drugs openly on the beach, but they do it down there all day. We think it is wrong to go into a bar and see a 10 yr old drinking a beer, but it happens down there.

What I'm saying is that when you are in their country, you have to do it their way. If these people were acting outside the scope of their job--then something should be done. However, I think you will find that this is normal practice in Jamaica, and it will not change. Jamaica has a lot of great things to offer, but it is also a country where corruption and greed run rampant. Be smart in your travel.

That's my two cents worth. I'll hop off my soapbox now.

Of all the islands I have been to, I thought Jamaica was by far the most beautiful. So green and so hilly. Gorgeous. I enjoyed my time in Jamacia and would go back in a heartbeat. We must have been very strait laced looking, no one approached us to buy drugs.

I'm sorry the OP had such an unenjoyable experience. I hope you can find some humour in the story telling. you know... "My experience in Jamaica was grabbing". Jamaica the island that grabs you and doesn't let go". Jamaica the feeling is intense".

My questions are:

1. Was this area marked in some way with signs saying "if you enter this area you realize you may be filmed, and are giving permission to be filmed."

2. Was there another way you could have gone to avoid the cameras?

3. Did you report this behavior to any official on the ship?

4. Are you going to inform Carnival of the behavior through a letter or email to Carnival Execs.?

This is NOT something I would let go. I would get to the bottom of this no matter how high I had to go. This is BS!

As far as the women are concerned, I am assuming they did not go through the same treatment or you would have mentioned it. But if the men are going through it, that's is bad enough!

I agree, and I actually enjoyed Ocho Rio, If the passengers are required to go through this kind of harrassent just to get back on the ship, then the ship has no business being there. The lines have stopped going to places because they could not make sure the passengers were going to be safe, Well in my opinion, if Jamacia has become such a place that the "authorities" have to become abusive to the male passengers, then the place is no longer safe for passengers to be there. That just assures me that the "authorities" are admitting that Jamica is a drug infested pit, and because of that we have to be abused. What is the difference if a person gets groped on the street, or in the name of "the law". Abused is abused, no matter who the abuser is!

AND thats not even to mention that you were filmed without permission, or signing a release! I wonder now if THAT's in the Carnival contract.

I really hope you take this to hell and back to get something done about this.

Your passenger contract gave permission as you allowed yourself to be filmed for the video diary,thus this permission will carry thru to the port terminal and the islnad as you sometimes see CL protographers on shore trips taking photos's

2.NO, not needed as permission was given,see #1

3.Does not make a difference,the actions are out of CCLs control,this is how they can ignore it,its the islands goverment's doing.

4.I too would write a letter explaing what I had to endure as part of a countries attempt attempt to stop the flow of drugs.

Just wait until we call on Cuba,and the search for cigars becomes an issue if not resolved by then.

My questions are:

1. Was this area marked in some way with signs saying "if you enter this area you realize you may be filmed, and are giving permission to be filmed."

2. Was there another way you could have gone to avoid the cameras?

3. Did you report this behavior to any official on the ship?

4. Are you going to inform Carnival of the behavior through a letter or email to Carnival Execs.?

This is NOT something I would let go. I would get to the bottom of this no matter how high I had to go. This is BS!

As far as the women are concerned, I am assuming they did not go through the same treatment or you would have mentioned it. But if the men are going through it, that's is bad enough!

I agree, and I actually enjoyed Ocho Rio, If the passengers are required to go through this kind of harrassent just to get back on the ship, then the ship has no business being there. The lines have stopped going to places because they could not make sure the passengers were going to be safe, Well in my opinion, if Jamacia has become such a place that the "authorities" have to become abusive to the male passengers, then the place is no longer safe for passengers to be there. That just assures me that the "authorities" are admitting that Jamica is a drug infested pit, and because of that we have to be abused. What is the difference if a person gets groped on the street, or in the name of "the law". Abused is abused, no matter who the abuser is!

AND thats not even to mention that you were filmed without permission, or signing a release! I wonder now if THAT's in the Carnival contract.

I really hope you take this to hell and back to get something done about this.

See below, that somewhat sums up my thoughts. Good job Parrothead.

In Jamaica, you have to play by their rules. Just like anywhere else you go in the world.

Here in the US, that behavior is unacceptable, and I think we can all agree why. There are burdeons of proof we have to cover before a pat down/frisk, or a search of a person can begin. Here, you either have to get consent for a pat down/frisk, or you have to show reasonable suspicion that there is a need to do the pat down/frisk. For a search, which means going into pockets, under layers of clothes, and/or manipulating items-you need probable cause. Now you can develop your PC for a search through your pat down--not a problem.

During a pat down/frisk, you CAN NOT under any circumstance manipulate items that you may feel. By all means, check every area you can. For guys this is the groin area, and for girls this is the bra area. Most contraband is hid in these areas. With that being said, there are ways to do that without ,making it a completely humiliating process. On females, the back of the hand is used, so as to not igve the impression of "cupping" the area. You can also have the person pull their bra out from the front, and lean forward. For guys, you run the back of your hand up one pant leg, then into the groin area and back down the other side. Then you check the belt line.

IF you feel an item in this area, and based on your training and experience you believe the shape/size/texture is consistent with contraband, then you go into a search. This is usally done in a discreet area away from others. However, they are done along side the road in front of dash cams every day.

In Jamaica, they have different rules. We are used to ours, and they have their's. We think it is wrong to sell drugs openly on the beach, but they do it down there all day. We think it is wrong to go into a bar and see a 10 yr old drinking a beer, but it happens down there.

What I'm saying is that when you are in their country, you have to do it their way. If these people were acting outside the scope of their job--then something should be done. However, I think you will find that this is normal practice in Jamaica, and it will not change. Jamaica has a lot of great things to offer, but it is also a country where corruption and greed run rampant. Be smart in your travel.

We went to mo-bay once and had a great time. We did not have the problem discussed and am not playing that down. It is not a place I plan to visit again soon. If it happens to be on a trip I take I will be OK with it.

As for the filming and permission. Your not in the USA and are not playing by US rules. I dont know what they are in Jamacia but dare to say they are different than US rules for permissions etc.

Reminder to self..........................When you play away,... You play by THEIR rules!

Their country-----their rules.

You were filmed in what is considered a public place thusly no release required.

As far as the pat down, I have had it done to me in Japan at the airport. It was a complete hands over everywhere by a female security officer wearing white gloves. Everybody was searched prior to boarding the plane. Why? Because modern explosives are not detectable by the current search equipment in place.

Dave

My DH and I went to OR Jamaica last year and had no problems with getting through security. Their were 2 couples that were busted for trying to bring drugs on the ship though. I have been to a few foreign ports and never was patted down worse that what I had to go through at the airport. My DH went through the metal detector just fine than I went through. The machine didn't go off but I was told to stand in the security gate next to the detector. A few minutes later a female security personel came over and asked the guy what was going on. He said to her that I needed to be searched because I was wearing a sweater. The lady seemed a bit puzzeled by his request and then walked over to me. She said to stand with feet apart and arms out and away from my sides. She ran her hands down my arms, down the length of my body and waist. She got to my hips and and wanted to know what that bump was. I told her it was my hip bone. She asked that I lift my sweater so that she could see and she felt all around my hips and said "wow, you have bony hips" and sent me on my way. That was the first time I was ever searched for wearing a sweater. This took place in January leaving from Buffalo, so of course I would be wearing a sweater.

I agree completely with what you have said here! My suggestion is for everyone that has experienced this is to write a letter to Carnival Guest Relations explaining this situation. People keep in mind what we Americans view as a sexual in our country is far from it in other countries. Where Carnival is wrong here is that they need to make every passenger aware that this might/probably happen if they choose to leave the ship. Now if enough passengers stay on board they will take notice. To say that people are being molested is way over the top. People doing their job DO NOT GET THEIR JOLLIES OFF by performing routine drug checks. I've read complaints on this board where people have returned from a stop in Jamaica and complain that their fellow passengers are smoking weed in their cabins/balconies etc. We simply can't have it both ways people! Again I think the issue belongs with Carnival and their needing to warn people perhaps add it to the capers for that day that body searches are being done etc but beyond that let's not get rediculous in turning this into something sexual.

She got to my hips and and wanted to know what that bump was. I told her it was my hip bone. She asked that I lift my sweater so that she could see and she felt all around my hips and said "wow, you have bony hips"

To which you should have replied,

"wow, you have cold hands!"

Thought I would add my story to this thread.

My husband and I took a cruise (my first) in 2006 that included Ocho Rios on Carnival Imagination. We went on a Carnival Excursion to climb Dunn's Fall. After getting back we came back to the dock to get back on the ship and there was two large tents set up with Jamaican customs agents. They weren't even looking at the men, just waving them all by. But they were frisking EVERY woman that came back. And not a gentle pat down by no means....

This was my first time out of the country, and I was so scared that I didn't care what they did just as long as they let me back on the ship. I did not worry about being patted down, because I knew I had nothing illegal on me, but still the whole process was pretty bad. The two women in front of me were both stopped for drugs. Marijuana and Cocaine...needless to say, they didn't make it back on the ship and the Captain was out there telling them...Sorry...

So my point is, it's not just the men that they check...

Just be prepared...

We were just in Ocho Rios earlier this month and I have posted a couple of times about how surprised I was at how much better that port is now.

I have decided NEVER AGAIN!!

We have been to Jamaica many times and almost did not get off the ship.

(but I needed a new magnet for the fridge) We decided to make a mad dash to the nearest souvenir shop and than make a mad dash back to the ship.

This turned out to be completely different than I expected.

Yes we were asked if we wanted a taxi by several different taxi drivers...but it was done politely. Yes we were asked about hair braiding a couple of times, but it was done politely.

We ended up walking on the sidewalk all the way to Island Village without incident and back to the ship. It was a wonderful afternoon.

Now we did not go past Island Village, so I can't speak to any other area of Jamaica...but the Ocho Rios port has their act together.

The manager of a store where I was trying on a Breitling watch told me that the cruise lines had threatened to pull out and Ocho cracked down.

It is working.

Sorry to hear that MoBay has not learned that lesson.

I agree that poverty is not an excuse. We have traveled to plenty of poverty areas around the world and not experienced this kind of mistreatment. My opinion is that the "frisking" has less to do with "protecting everyone else from drugs" and more to do with really trying to catch offenders for the bail money and legal fees. I can assure you that Jamaica could care less if every American in the US was hooked on drugs. They just want to benefit financially from catching someone on their "turf".

Your passenger contract gave permission as you allowed yourself to be filmed for the video diary,thus this permission will carry thru to the port terminal and the islnad as you sometimes see CL protographers on shore trips taking photos's

2.NO, not needed as permission was given,see #1

3.Does not make a difference,the actions are out of CCLs control,this is how they can ignore it,its the islands goverment's doing.

4.I too would write a letter explaing what I had to endure as part of a countries attempt attempt to stop the flow of drugs.

Just wait until we call on Cuba,and the search for cigars becomes an issue if not resolved by then.

The camera crew as stated was from Britain and in no way does the permission granted through Carnival extend to another film company.

I am usually just a lurker and very infrequently will I post but I am very compelled with this one.

In 2006, we decided to try a RCCL Cruise on MOS. Which stopped in Ochos Rios... we will never go back and its not soley about the fact that my husband was groped it was the fact that they separated us and took him to a room with an ununiformed officer (where in my opinion could have planted drugs on him in an attempt to get money out of us). This happened to male and female passengers and the line at the pursers desk when we got back on the boat was so long which we waited in like everyone else to fill the complaint form out. The pursers desk basically said there was nothing they could do about it. The kicker was my bag could have been packed with drugs and no one would have been the wiser because I was never checked nor were my bags.

While on the island we were asked numerous times to by drugs and a simple no wasnt working they would walk and pester. I had one guy keep asking me for a cigerette I finally gave him the one I was smoking and he left me alone. We rented a car and drove to dunes falls and when we went to park the security officer basically told us if we didn't tip him to watch the car it wouldn't be there when we get back. Which we did tip him.

While I agree with the mentality that you play by there rules while on there island. Someone tell me what the rules are before I go. If someone anyone would have told us hey when you are getting back on the boat they do a very umm indepth search and be prepared that you will be taken into a separate room and oh its usually by someone not in a uniform MAYBE we would have been okay with it.... NOT.

Am I wrong in seeing this as an additional revenue source for Jamaica?

Seriously, the passengers are returning to the ship. At that point, what difference does it make to the government of Jamaica if they are carrying any drugs?

The passengers have already spent as much money as they are going to. But, if you can throw a few in to the Jamaican judicial system it's more income for them.

Here's what the State Department has on their webiste.

Persons violating Jamaica’s laws, even unknowingly, may be expelled, arrested or imprisoned. Penalties for possession, use, or trafficking in illegal drugs in Jamaica are severe, and convicted offenders can expect long jail sentences and heavy fines. Airport searches are thorough and people attempting to smuggle narcotics are often apprehended.

Prison conditions in Jamaica differ greatly from prison conditions in the United States. Prisoners are provided only the most basic meals and must rely upon family and friends to supplement their diets, provide clothing, and supply personal care items such as toothpaste and shampoo. Packages shipped from the United States to prisoners are subject to Jamaican import taxes and are undeliverable when the recipient lacks the funds to pay the duties.

After spending the day spending money in this port I (and almost every other male passenger returning to the ship) were separated from the women passengers and forced to go through a "pat down" search by the local authorities where the "frisker" actually grabbed our penises and testicles through our clothes and squeezed them.

I should mention that all I (we) were doing was returning to the ship. We had not done anything "wrong". We were not drunk/stoned or even loud.

The more I think about this the more flabbergasted I become and the madder I get at Carnival for taking me to a port where I was treated so shabbily. For the life of me I do not understand why Carnival allowed us to be treated that way without some protest on their part but they did not even have anyone present in the terminal to oversee their passengers being fondled.

Oh, I should also mention, to add insult to injury, the "searches" were filmed by some British television crew doing a documentary on how Jamaica treats tourists.

Can someone tell me why Carnival is still sailing to this port and/or why anyone would book a cruise that includes Jamaica as a port call if the local authorities treat cruise ship passengers like this?

This would be a great question to ask Carnival. And,I certainly would write them.I agree ,Carnival should drop Jamaica. Maybe when the new terminal construction is complete in Roatan ,Carnival will replace Jamaica on ALL their ships itenerarys. I had already decided I will not return there.

We just got back today from our Conquest cruise and wanted to vent/inform a little bit about something that is happening at the cruise terminal in Montego Bay, namely groping of the male passengers by the local port authorities.

I have been on many cruises (both Navy & cruiseline) and have had port calls to more than 40 countries and I have never been treated more disgustingly in a port than this last cruise when we stopped in Montego Bay, Jamaica.

After spending the day spending money in this port I (and almost every other male passenger returning to the ship) were separated from the women passengers and forced to go through a "pat down" search by the local authorities where the "frisker" actually grabbed our penises and testicles through our clothes and squeezed them.

I should mention that all I (we) were doing was returning to the ship. We had not done anything "wrong". We were not drunk/stoned or even loud.

The more I think about this the more flabbergasted I become and the madder I get at Carnival for taking me to a port where I was treated so shabbily. For the life of me I do not understand why Carnival allowed us to be treated that way without some protest on their part but they did not even have anyone present in the terminal to oversee their passengers being fondled.

Oh, I should also mention, to add insult to injury, the "searches" were filmed by some British television crew doing a documentary on how Jamaica treats tourists.

Can someone tell me why Carnival is still sailing to this port and/or why anyone would book a cruise that includes Jamaica as a port call if the local authorities treat cruise ship passengers like this?

Wow, we were on this same cruise (got off of the Conquest yesterday)and nothing like what you have described happened to the two men that were in our group. I didn't see the television crew you mention though either. Perhaps you were treated extra thoroughly for their benefit while they were filming? We got back to the ship around 3pm.

(Putting on my flame resistant clothing)

Happy travels to you all and I hope some may give JA another chance!

I wonder how, even after your post I'd want to go to Jamaica?? :confused:

If the people get ntothing from the tourism, and are absolutely rude or God forbid hostile to the tourists, why the hell should I cruise/vacation there??

When i cruised to Montego bay on 9/16/07 i didn't have a problem.It's sad but it happens everywhere. You'll hear complaints by americans at american airports, cruise terminals, etc. Probably because the TV crew was there there was a problem and the jamaicans took it further than they should've. I bet if you travel to Columbia, you'll get worse treatment by columbia authorities at the airport. It's sad but it's because of idiots(americans and non-americans) who go into jamaica and try to bring back drugs that this occurs.

The drug problem in Montego Bay is worse than Ochos Rios. For every 5 people this extensive search occurs 10 will not get searched.

I have read through this thread and have some comments:

1) I was not traumatized by the search, I was flabbergasted by it.

2) How does my being searched in the terminal returning to a cruise ship have any effect on the Jamaican drug problem? If the problem is drugs in Jamaica shouldnt they be searching me as I LEAVE the ship?

3) If Jamaica wants to do something about their drug problem why do they not go after the dozens of people that offered to sell me marijuana through the course of my day there? You cant walk 5 feet in town without someone offering you drugs.

4) Up to the time I returned to the cruise terminal (aside from all the people trying to sell me drugs) I had a good time in Montego Bay.

5) I have been around the world to many many different countries and know all about "local customs" and the treatment that I and others received at the cruise terminal was just plain wrong and if Carnival knew it was going to happen and didnt tell us ahead of time they are just as wrong as far as I am concerned.

After reading all these posts I still don't see a problem with going to MO. I have been offered drusg in St. Thomas at coki beach. I've had street people follow me around outside my office building here in So. Cal. until I gave them a cigarette so that they would go away.

As far as the pat down searches I could care less. If that is thier policy than that is what it is. If drugs are a billion dollar a year industry then someone is obviously taking the drugs out of the country. And wether the customs agents are doing it to stop the drug flow or to increase revenue so what. It is their country.

I have not been yet but my sister has and she had a great time. Someitmes when I read posts like these I can help but wonder if some cruisers expect the countries to be like little americas. I think for a lot of posters it is cultural shock. And that makes them feel unsafe.

Archived