If You Don't Like Being Violated Don't Book A Cruise To Jamaica

Joedog

I was on the conquest 2/10-2/17. In Jamaica the security felt my genitals as well. I felt quite strange, little violated, would have preferred a sign warning the guard would be grabbing my private area or at least be taken to a side room as I was a little embarrassed. My wife saw this occur she was shocked. We are booked on the conquest same time next year, I dont know about getting off the ship. We were swindled all over Jamaica. I now refer to Jamaica as Ganja Island. Drug dealers every where, con artists in all the gift shops, and rude security.

This thread is exactly why I enjoy cc. Information!

We are planning an excursion to Mayfield Falls in MoBay in April. We will go but I will be able to warn the guys in our group about the touchy-feely part!

Reading these threads helps us as tourists on the islands and how to react to different situations. I don't expect Carnival to give me the warnings - because I might not go to the talks or read them!

It's wierd because we really sheltered in our own little country. When we all had to get off the bus in Costa Maya and was searched with mean looking policemen pointing rifles at us - I just remember thinking, I sure love the US!

Sorry but you seem to be a bit off from what I said. Yes you should care about the drugs - there is a HUGE reason for the pat down..people smuggle drugs it is a BILLION $$$ industry. It is the fault of every person who smuggles them in those places that you should be venting your frustration with - they disrespected the country they were visiting as well as the one they came from. I am sure that if JA had more $$ they could afford drug sniffing dogs but they have to employ people instead. I am sure that some of the people may have been more aggressive than what they should have however..you are in a foreign country subject to their laws and customs dept. Just because you may be an upstanding citizen who is not smuggling drugs does not mean that other people aren't - how are they going to tell?. You don't have to look like your a back alley junky to have drugs. Teenagers are a HUGE drug risk as it is so easy to get drugs in JA. They bring them back onto the boat and then possibly turn around and try and sell them to possibly yours or someone else's children.

My point and I will try and make this more clear. Do not judge an entire island or it's people based on a few unsavory individuals or an unfortunate incident. Blaming the entire island of Jamaica for an over zelous/line crossing customs agent is like blaming Ronald McDonald for a bad cheeseburger...

To make my point clear... I am not blaming the entire island. Most people go to Jamacia knowing the situation with the poverty and drugs. My problem is with the abuse the authorites put the passengers through getting back on the ship. People must be on their guard when visiting places other than home (and even there sometimes), but they should not have to expect that the police, so to speak, are going to be the ones groping and harrassing them. If we should have to expect that to happen, then cruiselines should not be going there.

As the OP I would like to say that it was not my intent to bash "Jamaica". Like I said in an earlier post, I had a good time there up until returning to the cruise port. It was my intent though to inform fellow CC'rs as to what is going on there in Montego Bay.

If you feel it is no big deal, fine for you, but if you think it is a little over the line than I think you at least have the right to know that it is happening.

Oh, and after reading the other posts on this thread reporting this happening to others on different cruises I am convinced that Carnival knows it is going on and has taken a blind eye to it.

Funny thing, as another poster mentioned, as I waited in line to exit the terminal all the RCL Voyager passengers were taken out of the "search" line and allowed to exit the terminal without being searched.

Can anyone explain that to me?

If, as someone else posted, the "search" makes us safer, is it only Carnival ships that need to be safer? Or if the "search" is because Jamaica has a drug problem, is it only Carnival passengers that are causing/supporting it?

I suspect that perhaps RCL has told the port authorities to not treat their passengers so shabbily or they will quit stopping there. Just a guess on my part or maybe just wishful thinking but bottom line, RCL passengers were not subjected to the "search".

Do you think maybe it's not the Jamaican's idea.

Maybe Carnival said to the Jamaican Authorities. "If you want our ships to continue to visit this island then make sure none of our passengers get back on board with any drugs".

There is no way anyone should be subjected to a seach as the OP described. It is the authorities doing these searches and the government

needs to stop degrading tourists who have just been to their island,

spending money and helping their economy. We have been to most of

the Caribbean islands and never have been searched in such a manner.

Granted, a lot of the security people are not the friendliest but I have

never seen a "pat down" as described.

As far a blaming the whole island and its population for these incidents,

someone has to take the blame and the government who is allowing or

ordering these searches can stop it. In the meantime let's not allow

this to happen, choose a cruise which doen't go to Jamaica or stay on'

the ship.

Do you think maybe it's not the Jamaican's idea.

Maybe Carnival said to the Jamaican Authorities. "If you want our ships to continue to visit this island then make sure none of our passengers get back on board with any drugs".

Maybe, but wouldnt they do a better job of searching the women then? My wife, nor my daughter, nor their beach bags were searched at all.

Interesting thought though.

As the OP I would like to say that it was not my intent to bash "Jamaica". Like I said in an earlier post, I had a good time there up until returning to the cruise port. It was my intent though to inform fellow CC'rs as to what is going on there in Montego Bay.

If you feel it is no big deal, fine for you, but if you think it is a little over the line than I think you at least have the right to know that it is happening.

Oh, and after reading the other posts on this thread reporting this happening to others on different cruises I am convinced that Carnival knows it is going on and has taken a blind eye to it.

Funny thing, as another poster mentioned, as I waited in line to exit the terminal all the RCL Voyager passengers were taken out of the "search" line and allowed to exit the terminal without being searched.

Can anyone explain that to me?

If, as someone else posted, the "search" makes us safer, is it only Carnival ships that need to be safer? Or if the "search" is because Jamaica has a drug problem, is it only Carnival passengers that are causing/supporting it?

I suspect that perhaps RCL has told the port authorities to not treat their passengers so shabbily or they will quit stopping there. Just a guess on my part or maybe just wishful thinking but bottom line, RCL passengers were not subjected to the "search".

All:

I was on Voyager from February 3-10, and can offer some insight to this question. What you didn't see was that the RCCL passengers (myself included) were taken to busses which dove us to the RCCL terminal. Once we arrived at RCCL's terminal, all were segregated by gender and the gentlemen (at least some, including people in my group) were patted down in the same manner.

So I would contend that both of your assertions are incorrect.

• Carnival passengers aren't targeted for additional screening (as far as I could tell).
  • RCCL hasn't taken initiatives to limit the searches accomplished by local officials. (Or those initiatives have been unsuccessful)

Now to weigh in on the nature of my search. After stepping through the metal detector, and while my bags were still running through the scanners, I was asked politely to raise both arms and stand with my feet apart. As I was wearing cargo shorts, they patted the pockets and ran the hand up to the crotch. They also patted briefly in the areas covered by my T-shirt. I personally experienced no squeezing, fondling, groping, or other inappropriate touching. Was the search more thorough than that experienced at a US airport? Yes. Was the search invasive? Not in my opinion.

Hope my comments can serve to enlighten those in this discussion, and answer the questions about the seeming disparity between RCCL and Carnival.

I guess in my opinion it boils down to this. If you like being groped,and if you like your female friend being groped, then go to Jamacia. They will gladly take care of your needs.

If you don't like it, don't go there or stay on the ship. (that's where I will be!)

I think some people here have the mentality that since it didn't happen to me, it didn't happen. Or it's ok. But I think their attitude will change when it does happen to them.

Thanks to the OP for the heads up on the situation. I think cruiselines shouldn't go to the places the passengers are going to be mistreated by the authorities. But if they are going to go, they should at least warn the passengers of the prodedure they will have to indure getting back on the ship.

3) If Jamaica wants to do something about their drug problem why do they not go after the dozens of people that offered to sell me marijuana through the course of my day there? You cant walk 5 feet in town without someone offering you drugs.

We were told by the local police in Ocho Rios that they do not bust the locals for selling drugs because they don't have room for them in their local jails and they are too poor to pay any fines. So what would be the point?

LHP hit the nail on the head below.

My opinion is that the "frisking" has less to do with "protecting everyone else from drugs" and more to do with really trying to catch offenders for the bail money and legal fees. I can assure you that Jamaica could care less if every American in the US was hooked on drugs. They just want to benefit financially from catching someone on their "turf".

We were told by the local police in Ocho Rios that they do not bust the locals for selling drugs because they don't have room for them in their local jails and they are too poor to pay any fines. So what would be the point?

LHP hit the nail on the head below.

Bullseye K

Carnival should have given us some kind of warning. There was definitely "groping" going on down there leaving MObay. I was so shocked and I'm sure it showed by my facial expressions (maybe even an uncontrollable verbal response, also). Maybe they should have another line afterwards like the Six Flags coasters where you can buy pictures of your experience! But seriously, if they are that hellbent about finding drugs, why were the women basically ignored?

What happened to the OP is disgusting. I don't see how they have the right to even touch people anywhere on their bodies, much less their private areas. And all because they're worried about someone smuggling a little weed. The U.S. had been subjected to horrific terrorist attacks and yet we don't pat people down at airports and cruise terminals. Sounds like an abuse of authority and they're doing it just because they can. Definitely sounds like a place to avoid.

I have to agree with LHP. They could care less about the drugs they just want the money.

I am NOT talking from experience but from what I was told if you are caught with or purchasing illegal drugs in Montego Bay then your bail will be set at whatever your have in your pocket and if you don't have cash on you then whatever you can get off your credit/debit card will be your bail.

I am not a fan of Jamacia and the last 2 times I was there only got off the ship to purchase coffee right there at the pier. We went there on our honeymoon almost 14 yrs ago and it was even scary back then and we only left the resort with a tour. It seems it has only gotten worse since then.

All:I was on Voyager from February 3-10, and can offer some insight to this question. What you didn't see was that the RCCL passengers (myself included) were taken to busses which drove us to the RCCL terminal. Once we arrived at RCCL's terminal, all were segregated by gender and the gentlemen (at least some, including people in my group) were patted down in the same manner.

Thanks for posting. I've been wondering about what happened to the RCCL pax since that day. Seem's like you got the same treatment, just in another terminal. I never realized that RCCL had their own terminal over there. Makes sense. The building we were in was pretty crowded already.

---Bruce

I am in shock. We are booked on Conquest for May 18th and my husband is in a wheelchair. Lord knows what they would do to him. I think we may just stay on the ship and celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary without having to be manhandled by Jamaican security. Thanks for posting this for us.

All:

I was on Voyager from February 3-10, and can offer some insight to this question. What you didn't see was that the RCCL passengers (myself included) were taken to busses which dove us to the RCCL terminal. Once we arrived at RCCL's terminal, all were segregated by gender and the gentlemen (at least some, including people in my group) were patted down in the same manner.

• Carnival passengers aren't targeted for additional screening (as far as I could tell).
  • RCCL hasn't taken initiatives to limit the searches accomplished by local officials. (Or those initiatives have been unsuccessful)

Now to weigh in on the nature of my search. After stepping through the metal detector, and while my bags were still running through the scanners, I was asked politely to raise both arms and stand with my feet apart. As I was wearing cargo shorts, they patted the pockets and ran the hand up to the crotch. They also patted briefly in the areas covered by my T-shirt. I personally experienced no squeezing, fondling, groping, or other inappropriate touching. Was the search more thorough than that experienced at a US airport? Yes. Was the search invasive? Not in my opinion.

Hope my comments can serve to enlighten those in this discussion, and answer the questions about the seeming disparity between RCCL and Carnival.

Well, if it's any consolation the searches include Princess cruises too- at Ocho Rios I was walking back to Caribbean Princess with my two grandsons, they were aged 18 and 13 at the time- they asked only the 18yr old to step aside and subjected him to a patdown search. My other GS and I were just waved through .

While onboard the ship my older GS was told by a crew member that it's well known to them that some of the people offering you drugs in Ocho Rios are undercover cops- once you try to buy you are arrested and of course they will bail you out...at a cost. Makes a nice income for the local judicial system.

We have been all over the Caribbean and I am sure there are drugs available if you're looking, in any of the ports- but Jamaica is the only place where we have been 'screened' by the local police before boarding the ship.

We won't be going back.

All:

Thanks for the information. I am sorry my assumptions were wrong. I had hoped that at least one cruise line had "stepped up". I guess Carnival is not alone in it's turning a blind eye to the ill treatment of it's passengers by the Montego Bay authorities.

You said that you dont feel your search was invasive. Do you think it was warranted? Were you engaged in some sort of activity that you feel justified your being searched? Just curious.

I have read very few good thing about Jamaica. Has anyone considered getting a petition together to see if Carnival would consider changing the ports? I don't know that it would work, but with enough signatures, they would probably consider something. I guess, now that I have typed it, it seems a little extreme. But it is something to consider.;)

Here is a thought. If nobody bought the cruise for that port, Carnival would cancel the trip. If people keep buying the product they are selling, they will continue to sell it and profit from it. I think this is totally unacceptable. True you are not in the US with US rights but does that mean that if I go to a foreign country and they want to rape me, I should let it happen cuz I have no rights. NO WAY JOSE! The OP was violated and some people may feel it is not sexual since the perpetrator didn't get their jollies off. How do they know they don't enjoy their job. Why are the women searching the men? Not right. I for one will never visit Jamaica. Thanks to the OP for enlightening me.

I was also on the Feb10-17 cruise and was shocked by the pat down. I wasn't grab, thank goodness, and did not hear about it on ship. If this is the way Jamaica wishes to repect visitors, then I will not be getting off in Jamaica if that is one of the port of calls. I had a good time at Sunset Beach but not good enough to be humiliated and patted down like a common thief. If the police know the drug dealers, why not pick them up. Instead, they arrest the tourist then charge them thousands of dollars to get out of jail. This is not right and the cruise lines should take this stop off the itenerary until the practice stops. Tourism is a major business in these countries and their economy would falter after a few months without any tourist dollars.

Dave

What happened to the OP is disgusting. I don't see how they have the right to even touch people anywhere on their bodies, much less their private areas. And all because they're worried about someone smuggling a little weed. The U.S. had been subjected to horrific terrorist attacks and yet we don't pat people down at airports and cruise terminals. Sounds like an abuse of authority and they're doing it just because they can. Definitely sounds like a place to avoid.

OK--I have to point out that your entire post is flawed and should be summarily dismissed.

They DO have the right to touch you. They do have the right to pat you down. You are in THEIR country. You have to play by their rules. If it means that less drugs get back on the boat, then pat EVERYONE down. I have no problem with that. I have nothing to hide, so go right ahead. It is no more fun for them than it is for you. Trust me, I know.

Also, you said that we don't pat people down at airports and cruise terminals. Have you flown in the past 7 years?

I just did a month ago, and got the full pat down, a bomb swab and my shoes checked. It happens. it is accepted. You waive the right to a pat down by going through security. You can choose not to have it done, but by doing so, you will not be allowed through the security checkpoint.

Your post says that it's all because they're worried about someone smuggling a little weed? So I assume you think it is OK to do that? You don't seem overly concerned. It is ILLEGAL! There is no minimum acceptable amount of drugs. If it is illegal, then all acceptable measures shall be taken to find it.

Back off my soapbox

I know the feeling!! On our December cruise we had a large female guard of all things and she grabbed right onto it. I thought maybe I was in the wrong line and was suppose to cough. She did the same to everyone in our group.

I don't know about all the female passenger's in the other line but my wife has a large chest. When she was frisked the officer pushed on the side of her breasts then in the middle to make sure she did not have anything illegal. At least it was a female who did this to her I don't think I would of appreciated a male doing this.

The same thing happened to my DH, but my DD's and myself were not touched. My DH said the lady that frisked him got up "close and personal."

After reading this thread, I'm so glad we're going to the Eastern Caribbean for our cruise in November! But I was just thinking as I read this...what if someone on the island actually tried to PLANT drugs on you just so they could bust you on your way back onto the ship? I know it sounds farfetched, but who knows? Makes me think that it might be a good idea to look through your bags BEFORE you get into any "patdown" line. :( Just a thought....

Here is a thought. If nobody bought the cruise for that port, Carnival would cancel the trip. If people keep buying the product they are selling, they will continue to sell it and profit from it. I think this is totally unacceptable. True you are not in the US with US rights but does that mean that if I go to a foreign country and they want to rape me, I should let it happen cuz I have no rights. NO WAY JOSE! The OP was violated and some people may feel it is not sexual since the perpetrator didn't get their jollies off. How do they know they don't enjoy their job. Why are the women searching the men? Not right. I for one will never visit Jamaica. Thanks to the OP for enlightening me.

The reason I mentioned a petition is because there are many of us who enjoy the Western cruises, but there are few that do not include Jamaica. In refusing to book trips to Jamaica, it would also hurt the other ports that do not cause these problems. We were in Cozumel in October and were treated with nothing but respect. So why punish the people there for Jamaica's...issues?

OK--I have to point out that your entire post is flawed and should be summarily dismissed.

They DO have the right to touch you. They do have the right to pat you down. You are in THEIR country. You have to play by their rules. If it means that less drugs get back on the boat, then pat EVERYONE down. I have no problem with that. I have nothing to hide, so go right ahead. It is no more fun for them than it is for you. Trust me, I know.

Also, you said that we don't pat people down at airports and cruise terminals. Have you flown in the past 7 years?

I just did a month ago, and got the full pat down, a bomb swab and my shoes checked. It happens. it is accepted. You waive the right to a pat down by going through security. You can choose not to have it done, but by doing so, you will not be allowed through the security checkpoint.

Your post says that it's all because they're worried about someone smuggling a little weed? So I assume you think it is OK to do that? You don't seem overly concerned. It is ILLEGAL! There is no minimum acceptable amount of drugs. If it is illegal, then all acceptable measures shall be taken to find it.

Back off my soapbox

No, I don't do drugs nor do I advocate it. People are not "routinely" patted down at airports. I've always had to take my shoes off and I got the wand once. My husband's brief case is usually always wiped. I still think it's disgusting that they're allowed to grope men's genitals in the attempt to prevent drug smuggling. Good grief, these people are boarding a cruise ship, not being processed into San Quentin. BTW, quit making assumptions about people. You don't know me.

Archived