missing ports

Jacky4

I just got off my cruise Feb 21. This is my 4th cruise and twice we have missed ports because we had to turn around due to passenger illness. I understand passenger safety comes first and don't hold the passanger or cruise line at fault but I cruise for shore excursions. The rest of my family loves both shore excursions and sea days. I was so disappointed that we missed one of ports that I am considering not cruising anymore. I feel basically I have a 50% chance of not getting the vacation I am expecting. Does anyone else feel this way? Do ships turn around often or have I just had bad luck?

The reality of cruising is that it isn't transportation but a destination unto itself. While this time of year missed ports are unusual as opposed to hurricane season, some ports like Grand Cayman are prone to being skipped due to the condition of the seas. If going to a particular place is what you want it is best to plan a land vacation and simply go there.

We have only missed 1 port in all of the cruises that we have taken. This past November the captain said that due to the weather, tenders would not be able to navigate safely. We skipped that port (Cayman Is.) and arrived at our next port earlier. Hang in there. I'm sure your luck will change.

I've never missed the Caymans, but I've heard it happens. Just been lucky, I guess.

On Glory last Sept., the itinerary changed due to Dean. But I knew about before we cruised....thanks CruiseCritic members!!!

In the cruise contract, it states something to the effect that ports are not guaranteed.

With so many people onboard, things can happen. Since it's happened to you twice, maybe it won't happen again.

My advice is to keep trying!!!

I think it must be bad luck! This upcoming cruise is #27 or 28 I have lost track, but I have never had to turn around. I have missed a port a few times, but that is part of cruising, take it in stride !! A hundred years from now no one will know the differance!

In all of our cruises we been lucky not to miss or late to a port. We have had extended stays due to drunk PAX not getting on the ship ontime.

But I know there is a risk of missing a port due to weather etc.

But I can agree with you that if a pax is ill, get them off the ship at the next

port and get them back to US or to an hospital.

Back in 1991 we were cruising from Long Beach to Mexico. We had to turn around to get back to US waters on the 2nd day. This would allow the US

Coast guard to pickup, via helicoptera lady was 'having' a heart attack.

But on talent night she gets on stage to tell us she flew to the next port and

get back on the ship. As she just had heart burn!

try and bbok cruises during so called "better weather" times of year...

If the ports matter a great deal, booking during Caribbean hurricane season would be a bad idea....great advice.

also stay away from tender ports and you can ensure that the odds are more in your favor that you wont miss a port.....

This isn't good advice. Consider Belize City and its neighbor to the north Costa Maya. (which should be open again late this year) Costa Maya has a dock which is exposed to the Caribbean and is missed as frequently as Grand Cayman. Belize City has no dock but the anchorage is well protected by reefs; weather rarely interrupts the tenders.

I just got off my cruise Feb 21. This is my 4th cruise and twice we have missed ports because we had to turn around due to passenger illness. I understand passenger safety comes first and don't hold the passanger or cruise line at fault but I cruise for shore excursions. The rest of my family loves both shore excursions and sea days. I was so disappointed that we missed one of ports that I am considering not cruising anymore. I feel basically I have a 50% chance of not getting the vacation I am expecting. Does anyone else feel this way? Do ships turn around often or have I just had bad luck?

Maybe cruising isnt for you, try a land vacation and see if you like that better to evaluate things more evenly.

I personally dont go for the ports, but I do try to see new ports if possible, if not then good too, we just like to get away and the eating and the shows especially. I think some ports are missing more often than others. The private island for RCL is missed quite often because the tender cant get in if its at all windy.

If the ports are that important, even if the cruiseline gives you a whopping $25 you are still going to be unhappy and who wants to cruise unhappy? Maybe cruising isnt for everyone. I have a friend I cant sell on cruising, no matter what I say.

If the ports matter a great deal, booking during Caribbean hurricane season would be a bad idea....great advice.

This isn't good advice. Consider Belize City and its neighbor to the north Costa Maya. (which should be open again late this year) Costa Maya has a dock which is exposed to the Caribbean and is missed as frequently as Grand Cayman. Belize City has no dock but the anchorage is well protected by reefs; weather rarely interrupts the tenders.

true, but then again there is no way to insure that you will never miss a port, but i think if you have a tender port, the odds are better that they will have a problem befor a docked port.. thats the gist of what I meant

also weather does play a mojor role in tender ports regardless of being exposed or not...its the waves that the weather creates that cause havoc with tendering....

What I left out that I should have said, was expect the worst... you will then never be let down

the other poster made a great point about cruising being more about the travel than the destinations

i think if you have a tender port, the odds are better that they will have a problem befor a docked port.. thats the gist of what I meant

I don't think your tender vs dock rule holds true, that was my point. Puerto Limon in Costa Rica is another port with a dock frequently skipped due to wind and sea. You need to be familiar with each port. Tender vs dock is just not a reliable rule of thumb.:)

I don't think your tender vs dock rule holds true, that was my point. Puerto Limon in Costa Rica is another port with a dock frequently skipped due to wind and sea. You need to be familiar with each port. Tender vs dock is just not a reliable rule of thumb.:)

but neither is not cruising anymore , just to avoid missing a port (as the OP said he might consider);)

We have missed ports or had a last minute itinerary change on 5 of our cruises, so 50% of the time. I guess since it happened on our very first cruise, on subsequent cruises, we always knew a last minute change was possible. I'm not saying it wasn't disappointing at times :( What we enjoy most about cruising is the ship so the itinerary is always secondary to us. Everyone's safety is always first priority so yes, you have to be prepared for disappointments, just go on and make the best of things. Cruising isn't for everyone.

When its happened to me, I spend about ten minutes really disappointed, then I get over it.

We've missed Cancun and Grand Cayman due to the inability to tender in, and had to return to Port Canaveral for a medical emergency. Happens. Sucks, but what can you do?

Does Carnival refund you any shore excursion you had at a missed port ? I would be DEVASTATED if I miss St. Thomas on my cruise. It is the shore excursion I am SO looking forward to !

If a port is skipped, the cruise line refunds excursions booked through them. If you book your own excursions you must negotiate a refund directly with the vendor.

I also cruise for the ports, not the ship.

Our RCI Empress cruise was supposed to go to Ocho Rios (and Dunn's River Falls was the main reason I booked that itinerary), and we ended up in MoBay instead. It is very disappointing when you miss the particular port that caused you to book that cruise! :(

It's difficult to plan around the weather, the OP stated this was because of a medical issue. You certainly can't plan for those.

Our Elation cruise returned to port in Canaveral shortly after we sailed due to a medical emergency, but the next day was a sea day and they made up the time.

In December, apparently Miracle turned around and went back to San Juan and I never even realized it! That's one thing about sailing in the winter; it was dark early and we were in having dinner. And she can definitely make up the time. Spirit-class are fast ships.

I wouldn't give up on cruising. There are so many other good things they have to offer.

I didn't realize Grand Cayman was so prone to being missed....That was the main port I wanted to visit on my next cruise....How often would people say that port is skipped? I'm guessing Februaury will be a "calmer" time of year and increase my chances of hitting the port?

On my very first cruise in we missed all our ports because the ship broke down and we had to go back to Miami two days early. We made the best of it and Carnival was great making it up to us. We got full refund and 50% off our next cruise. I have been on 6 cruises since and have never missed a port. I love cruisin!!:)

Archived