Vancouver answers from a Vancouverite

vickie_bernie

Putterdude,

Thanks for the info. DH and I have a very light weight windbreaker that we pack. I remember the Sutton Place had an umbrella in the room for use last year. We will now pack a long sleeve shirt to wear early morning or late evening. I have to try and be very selective of what we take with the cost of bringing luggage. Last year we had to shift items among the suitcases because we were over the 50 lb limit leaving Honolulu. We would have had a $75 surcharge. I was going to wear 2 layers if need be going home. I loved when you could take 2 suitcases on board for free. We are flying Air Canada from NJ and Continental coming home. AC allows one checked bag and one take on. Wish Continental did the same.

Thanks for answering all my questions these last few months.

Mary

The news in the paper today is that AC is going to charge $25 for first checked bag now. Just in case they try to charge you, have your original receipt showing it wasn't in effect when you booked

. We once won a fight with United on an AC code share by having our original paperwork in addition to our boarding passes.

Viv

Packing for a cruise leaving out of VC next Friday. We are staying 2 days pre-cruise. What are your average temps during day and evening. Trying to figure if we need to pack any long sleeve casual shirts/blouses. We are cruising to Hawaii and trying to not over pack but think it may be a little cool early AM and late PM. Living in NW New Jersey, we are a good 10-15 degree's cooler than southern NJ. We have great sleeping temps but not quite swimming weather any longer.

Our weather forecast for the next two weeks is the best of the summer. Not a cloud in the sky. Does that mean it won't rain? Probably not!

http://www.theweathernetwork.com/weather/CABC0308

Viv

Other than our annual fall fair called the PNE which will run from Aug 18 to Sept 3, 2012 next year I don`t know of any major events happening - the PNE does draw some tourists and bands etc but doesn`t have a great impact on hotels etc

http://www.pne.ca

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dennis

Other than our annual fall fair called the PNE which will run from Aug 18 to Sept 3, 2012 next year I don`t know of any major events happening - the PNE does draw some tourists and bands etc but doesn`t have a great impact on hotels etc

www.pne.ca

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dennis

it does help!! thank you so much

Is there anything major happening around the middle to last of August 2012?

We are planning a cruise from Vancouver next August and was just checking for unusually big crowds,etc.

thank you in advance

Middle to late you should be fine.

Early august there's an international fireworks contest plus a [massive] pride parade.

Also worth checking for big conventions: http://www.vancouverconventioncentre.com/events/?

Thank you for taking time to post your pix of the Grouse Grind. It is on our 'to-do' list when we arrive in a week or so. Any other suggestions for active people who love to exercise??

Thx, KB

Do what the locals do: Walk, jog, bike or rollerblade around the Stanley Park seawall.

Edited by ell52

Rent a bike or walk the Stanley Park Seawall - False Creek Seawall from downtown around the Creek into Science World and the Olympic Village - then along until you come to Granville Island and either the bridge or aqua ferry back downtown.

Current long range forecasts have the weather staying dry well into next week although it should cool down a few degrees by the weekend - it is close to 80 here right now which is near record warmth for September and likely to get even warmer the next couple of days.

Others will likely be along with there list

Cheers

Dennis

Depended where you were, I was out playing golf and didn't feel a thing nor did DW sitting here at home in Sechelt. I asked them at the bank in downtown Sechelt...very slight. Our son was working on a BC Ferry and didn't feel anything his DW working in Comox on Vancouver Island felt it just slightly. Our son and DIL who work in highrises in downtown Vancouver felt it a lot more. I am not aware of any reports of serious damage.

Anybody feel the quake today? Hope all is well.. :confused:

http://www.breakingnews.com/topic/vancouver-island-earthquake?q=vancouver-island-earthquake

My parents, who live in Victoria felt nothing. In fact it was my phone call to them to make sure they were okay, that altered them to the fact there was an earthquake.

I felt nothing at Howe & Burrard, but others closer to English Bay felt it.

Hi there from a sunny pre-Autumn Ontario. We will be in Vancouver next Autumn [yes, I know, thinking way to far ahead right now], but I was wondering what hotels are close enough to the Cruise ship port area that provide quick and easy access either by taxi or walking, and, are reasonably priced [in the $150 per night range]

Im not familar with Vancouver though my wife lived right at the northern tip of the island for years.

Cheers

Pete

The entire downtown hotel core is very compact - a little over a square mile in total - suggest you start looking at either priceline or hotwire - taxi fare to the port would be around $10 - $15 - some like the Best Western Downtown will shuttle you to the port and i believe that the Hampton does as well.

Some of the other locals will be along shortly to offer some more suggestions but this will at least get you started.

Cheers

Dennis

Hi there from a sunny pre-Autumn Ontario. We will be in Vancouver next Autumn [yes, I know, thinking way to far ahead right now], but I was wondering what hotels are close enough to the Cruise ship port area that provide quick and easy access either by taxi or walking, and, are reasonably priced [in the $150 per night range]

Im not familar with Vancouver though my wife lived right at the northern tip of the island for years.

Cheers

Pete

You will be hard pressed to get a hotel in the downtown area close to Canada Place for $150 unless you watch on Hotwire or bid on Priceline.com. On Priceline if you go on their bidding screen, choose Vancouver-Downtown, click on 3*+ and start you bidding at about $90 you should end up with a good room in a great hotel for about $135 to $150. However I wouldn't start the bidding until about March of next year.