Vancouver answers from a Vancouverite

vickie_bernie

Just booked Sheraton Wall Centre for 109$ per night:) USED HOTWIRE HOT RATE. 4* Downtown Vancouver West Area pools,fitness,business centre,hight speed internet, spa and 90% recommended from hotwire customer. We will stay at that hotel 2 nights May 2, 2012 pre cruise ( ALASKA). Can we take sky train from airport to water front station and walk to hotel? Can we walk to Canada Place from our hotel?

thank you

Corey

From the airport take Canada Line, but get off at "Vancouver City Centre" (one station before) rather than Waterfront. On day of cruise, you could walk it, it's about 10-12 blocks, but a taxi will be $10 tops.

http://maps.google.ca/maps?saddr=Sheraton+Vancouver+Wall+Centre+Hotel,+Burrard+Street,+Vancouver,+British+Columbia&daddr=City+Centre+near+Vancouver+City+Ctr+Stn+Northbound,+Vancouver,+British+Columbia&hl=en&ll=49.28312,-123.113737&spn=0.022984,0.038323&sll=49.267244,-123.044987&sspn=0.091964,0.153294&geocode=FfX17wIdtzup-CHBgJYKYPuSMw%3BFWv97wIdDF2p-CmBqqgTf3GGVDF4jIUhqP7mwg&vpsrc=6&gl=ca&mra=ls&t=m&z=15

We are thinking of staying in Vancouver for the weekend after our repo cruise on Millennium and wondered how the sky train is on the weekends for getting around? Wanted to stay out in Richmond near the airport if possible and then either rent a car or take public transit to get around and see some sights.

Skytrain is fast and frequent on the weekends as well; however it's really not much more to stay downtown, as there isn't that much near the airport. In a pinch, if downtown is just a tad too expensive, the 'City Hall' area around Cambie/Broadway is close to downtown, but generally about 10-20$ cheaper, or you could try staying at Metrotown (right on the Skytrain Expo/Millenium line)

At the weekend, everything drops to one zone: just $2.50 for a 90 minute ticket.

Just booked Sheraton Wall Centre for 109$ per night:) USED HOTWIRE HOT RATE. 4* Downtown Vancouver West Area pools,fitness,business centre,hight speed internet, spa and 90% recommended from hotwire customer. We will stay at that hotel 2 nights May 2, 2012 pre cruise ( ALASKA). Can we take sky train from airport to water front station and walk to hotel? Can we walk to Canada Place from our hotel?

thank you

Corey

You got a pretty good rate!

even if you go to hotwire hot rate if u see 4* vancouver downtown and west area : pools,restaurants,business centre,high speed internet, spa and 90% recommened from hotwire customer. thats pretty much is Sheraton wall Centre. (price keep changing from 116,113,108$) our friend just booked with 108$ May2-4 .( booked Nov1 @ 8pm)

Corey

Edited by lurvecruise

Just a note to our locals from your downtown source - the Cascadia Hotel is no more it is reverting back to a Residence Inn by Marriott and will be managed by Silver Birch Hotels and Resorts - currently closed for renos - lobby and front getting a complete make over.

Cheers

Dennis

Just a note to our locals from your downtown source - the Cascadia Hotel is no more it is reverting back to a Residence Inn by Marriott and will be managed by Silver Birch Hotels and Resorts - currently closed for renos - lobby and front getting a complete make over.

Cheers

Dennis

Interesting how that has switched back and forth.

Just by the way, I hit on a great deal on Hot Wire for the Lonsdale Quay Hotel back on 10/24....$88 CDN, taxes and fees all in...$10 extra for parking which really bugs an old North Vancouver kid.

and one more just by the way, I recently saw the Pinnacle at the Pier in North Vancouver referred to as a Marriott property, it does not appear to have any affiliation with Marriott at all.

My husband and I are coming to Vancouver via Amtrak bus from Seattle in May. Is it easy to get from the Amtrak station to downtown? Is it walking distance? We haven't booked a hotel yet but will want to be downtown for sure. Also, is Chinatown within walking

distance to Downtown?

We arrive on Rhapsody of Seas May 11 and have two days in Vancouver before cruising again on Celebrity Century. Is a 2 day pass on the hop on, hop off bus the best way to get around. Thinking of doing the carriage ride in Stanley Park, is it worth it? We are staying at Sunset Inn on Burnaby Street, will there be easy acess to transport when we disembark?

My husband and I are coming to Vancouver via Amtrak bus from Seattle in May. Is it easy to get from the Amtrak station to downtown? Is it walking distance? We haven't booked a hotel yet but will want to be downtown for sure. Also, is Chinatown within walking

distance to Downtown?

The easiest way to get from Pacific Central Station (where Amtrak come in) is by cab...$10/$12 will get you to almost any hotel in the downtown area....it is to far to walk with luggage. You can also cross Main Street from PCS and catch SkyTrain to downtown which may or may not put you close to your hotel...cost $2.50 pp (CDN only). Yes you can walk from downtown to Chinatown but it will have you walking thru a rather seedy area...you are better to take SkyTrain to Stadium Station and walk the few blocks or take a cab which again will cost you $10/$12 each way.

We arrive on Rhapsody of Seas May 11 and have two days in Vancouver before cruising again on Celebrity Century. Is a 2 day pass on the hop on, hop off bus the best way to get around. Thinking of doing the carriage ride in Stanley Park, is it worth it? We are staying at Sunset Inn on Burnaby Street, will there be easy acess to transport when we disembark?

IMO a HOHO is the very best way to see the sights of Vancouver and am rather partial to the Vancouver Trolley as their narration is live. With the HOHO and its stops in Stanley Park the horse drawn carriage is likely overkill unless you want the experience of it.

distance to Downtown?

Right out front of the Amtrak station is a Skytrain station, which will take you right downtown. You could walk too, but might be a bit of a headache with luggage and depending on where your staying.

Yes, Chinatown is also within walking distance of most of dt, again depends on where you staying.

IMO a HOHO is the very best way to see the sights of Vancouver and am rather partial to the Vancouver Trolley as their narration is live. With the HOHO and its stops in Stanley Park the horse drawn carriage is likely overkill unless you want the experience of it.

We are going to have one day post cruise to see Vancouver, wish it could be more. We will be there mid-May after the Sapphire Princess repo Coastal Cruise. I found a tour with West Coast Sightseeing that visits Granville Island, Stanley Park, Gastown and Capilano Suspension Bridge, among other sights for $95. Others in our CC Roll Call are planning on doing the HOHO. My question: It looks as if I could see everything I want to see except the Capilano Suspension bridge on the HOHO. Is the bridge worth the extra $$$ spent?

We are going to have one day post cruise to see Vancouver, wish it could be more. We will be there mid-May after the Sapphire Princess repo Coastal Cruise. I found a tour with West Coast Sightseeing that visits Granville Island, Stanley Park, Gastown and Capilano Suspension Bridge, among other sights for $95. Others in our CC Roll Call are planning on doing the HOHO. My question: It looks as if I could see everything I want to see except the Capilano Suspension bridge on the HOHO. Is the bridge worth the extra $$$ spent?

That is a difficult question as the suspension bridge is an attraction on its own. However, the HOHOs do fill the day and I am sure that you will have seen a lot of Vancouver at the end of the day. You could save the bridge and the Grouse Mountain Skyride for your next trip to Vancouver.

That is a difficult question as the suspension bridge is an attraction on its own. However, the HOHOs do fill the day and I am sure that you will have seen a lot of Vancouver at the end of the day. You could save the bridge and the Grouse Mountain Skyride for your next trip to Vancouver.

Thank you for your response. I just checked out the HOHO bus on Trip Advisor and I now have a new concern. I read many reviews stating that on a busy day the bus is often full at major attractions, such as Granville Island. You often wait 30 - 40 minutes for a bus, and when it arrives people have been reported to having wait another 30 minutes if it is full. We will be there on a Saturday and it could be a busy cruise day to top it off. With only one precious day to see as much as possible I am right now inclined to stick with Plan A and go with the West Coast Sightseeing Tour. I am not sure when, or if we will be able to make it back to Vancouver as our bucket list is long and vacation time short.

The West Coast Sightseeing people are known to be very good operators and I am sure that you will be happy if that is your choice.

As for the HOHOs, no question waits can happen, however they do have what they call "floater" buses that pick up passenger that may be left behind in heavy traffic areas. The problem has also been reduced recently by Vancouver Trolley with the introduction of two loops.

The West Coast Sightseeing people are known to be very good operators and I am sure that you will be happy if that is your choice.

As for the HOHOs, no question waits can happen, however they do have what they call "floater" buses that pick up passenger that may be left behind in heavy traffic areas. The problem has also been reduced recently by Vancouver Trolley with the introduction of two loops.

I just saw a Vancouver City Tour by West Coast Sightseeing that is only 4 hours long, does not go to the Suspension Bridge, but picks you up at the ship (with your luggage) and deposits you at your hotel later. The Suspension Bridge Tour picks you up at the hotel at 12:30, so you have to get yourself and luggage there by yourself. The City Tour sounds a bit more convenient. More $$$ than the HOHO, but when you have limited time like us waiting for the next bus could be very frustrating and definitely could cut into what you are able to experience of the city.

I just saw a Vancouver City Tour by West Coast Sightseeing that is only 4 hours long, does not go to the Suspension Bridge, but picks you up at the ship (with your luggage) and deposits you at your hotel later. The Suspension Bridge Tour picks you up at the hotel at 12:30, so you have to get yourself and luggage there by yourself. The City Tour sounds a bit more convenient. More $$$ than the HOHO, but when you have limited time like us waiting for the next bus could be very frustrating and definitely could cut into what you are able to experience of the city.

In the end the decision is yours but the HOHO's, there are 3 of them, do provide an excellent service to thousands of visitors each year and the number of complaints that are registered are few and far between...we have to remember we all want instant gratification. I know that if it were me and the suspension bridge was not in the mix, I would take one of the HOHO's.

If you really wanted to do the Suspension Bridge they do have a free shuttle that takes you thru the Stanley Park causeway, over the Lions Gate bridge and up to the bridge. It is also quite accessible via public transit. Just a couple of thoughts.:)

In the end the decision is yours but the HOHO's, there are 3 of them, do provide an excellent service to thousands of visitors each year and the number of complaints that are registered are few and far between...we have to remember we all want instant gratification. I know that if it were me and the suspension bridge was not in the mix, I would take one of the HOHO's.

If you really wanted to do the Suspension Bridge they do have a free shuttle that takes you thru the Stanley Park causeway, over the Lions Gate bridge and up to the bridge. It is also quite accessible via public transit. Just a couple of thoughts.:)

Thank you. There is a lot to think about. It's a good thing I don't have to book quite yet!

Excepting the entrance to the Capilano Suspension bridge ($30), you could do everything you mentioned on a $9 local transit day-pass. If you want to do something similar to Capilano, but free, there's also Lynn Canyon Park.

Planning my own cruise (I am an avid deal hunter) and came upon a Vancouver bus tour on sale 1/2 price on a site similar to Groupon. Not sure if I can post the web address - the site is dealicious.ca Search under Vancouver. I will post this over in the Port of Calls as well.

******Disclaimer - Please read the terms and conditions carefully to be sure this deal is for you.

I have never taken this tour.

I am not affiliated with this company.

I do not think this is a HOHO.

Do your research before buying - I dont think you can get a refund.

I am only sharing this deal as I think someone may have use for it. Use at your own risk!

Happy sailing.

If it is the company that i think it is - a fun bus ho ho type of operation they are bankrupt - skipped town - hid the buses out in a garage in the suburbs and are now somewhere in Eastern Canada and being sought by the authorities - i happened to have a chance conversation the other day over coffee at Denny`s with someone who works in the industry and we got to talking about bus companies in general and when I mentioned this particular firm that is when to told me of this outfit.

He also confirmed that West Coast sightseeing have the Gray Line franchise for the entire province so that is good news - that Vancouver trolley lost money this year but Big Bus made a little.

Cheers

Dennis