Vancouver answers from a Vancouverite

vickie_bernie

Both of these downtown locations appear close to Skytrain and Canada Place.

Final price for 2 nights ends up that Days Inn is a total of $40 more. I think Days Inn is closer to Skytrain and Canada place. Comfort Inn has a continental breakfast and slighlty further from Skytrain and Canada Place.

Not sure if I'm correct on the distances but wonder which is a better place and location to stay for 2 nights pre cruise.

Thanks for any input.

I've been doing quite a bit of research and am close to booking Days Inn on Pender. 3 blocks from Canada line train. It's cheaper than Comfort Inn on my dates and closer to the pier. They offer a free shuttle to Canada Place, but you could easily walk there too. Reviews look good with the worst being said that the rooms are very small and some look out to brick wall. I checked on Yelp and there are plenty of breakfast and dinner options in walking distance.

They offer packages but just up the base price so IMHO don't seem worth it. See http://www.daysinnvancouver.com/downtown-hotel-packages.html for coupon codes. The cruiseship package is the same price as the breakfast package - the shuttle is already free.

I know I could get a higher star by bidding but don't feel comfortable with that. I think Days Inn is the lowest clean place I can get near the Pier.

The only piece of the puzzle I'm missing is I haven't found a CC person who has actually stayed there recently. Anyone?

Edited by jeansaussie1

I will be staying at the Hyatt Regency, using Sky Train to travel from YVR to downtown. There will be 2 of us, each with 1 large and 1 carry on bag. Do you feel it would be an ok walk from the Waterfront Station to the Hyatt or should we transfer to one of the other lines and get off at the Burrard Station, which is right across the street from the Hyatt? I'd prefer to not transfer, but really need a local's point of view.

Personally I'd get off at City Centre station rather than Waterfront - it's closer to the hotel and on the same Skytrain line, just a stop earlier. The walk will also be flatter than walking uphill from Waterfront, especially if you walk along Georgia rather than Dunsmuir (the station is underneath Pacific Centre mall which runs between these two streets).

City Centre Station doesn't show up on Google directions well, because they have the name recorded as Cty Ctr (!?) - but plug that name in and you'll get detailed directions...

I've been doing quite a bit of research and am close to booking Days Inn on Pender. 3 blocks from Canada line train. It's cheaper than Comfort Inn on my dates and closer to the pier. They offer a free shuttle to Canada Place, but you could easily walk there too. Reviews look good with the worst being said that the rooms are very small and some look out to brick wall. I checked on Yelp and there are plenty of breakfast and dinner options in walking distance.

They offer packages but just up the base price so IMHO don't seem worth it. See http://www.daysinnvancouver.com/downtown-hotel-packages.html for coupon codes. The cruiseship package is the same price as the breakfast package - the shuttle is already free.

I know I could get a higher star by bidding but don't feel comfortable with that. I think Days Inn is the lowest clean place I can get near the Pier.

The only piece of the puzzle I'm missing is I haven't found a CC person who has actually stayed there recently. Anyone?

When are you staying in Vancouver? One of us might end up being the first CC'er to post about the Days Inn. I'm there July 19th - 21st.

Thanks everyone for the info. It's really appreciated.

I've never stayed in either, but I think the location of the Days Inn is worth $20 a night more (NB: I assume you do mean the Days Inn Downtown on Pender, not the 'Vancouver Metro' one on Kingsway).

Also, I think you asked previously about arriving late, using Skytrain & on foot, and whether it was safe in downtown to do so? You're far enough away from the pubs & clubs of Granville or Gastown that you should be quite comfortable walking to the Days Inn late at night - and if for whatever reason you aren't comfortable, there should be taxis outside the Skytrain station. Shouldn't be more than $5 to get you the couple of blocks to the hotel.

Yes, it's the Days Inn on Pender. We now get into YVR at 7:30 pm so I don't know how long it will take to get our luggage etc before we take the 25 minute Skytrain trip to downtown. I have no idea how busy YVR will be on a Friday evening with 2 ships leaving the next day - Zuiderdam and Diamond Princess. Anyone have any estimates about what time I'll actually be at my hotel that evening? No matter what, it's going to be a long day. Now if I can just remember to pack less so that I don't have heavy luggage to transport.

Personally I'd get off at City Centre station rather than Waterfront - it's closer to the hotel and on the same Skytrain line, just a stop earlier. The walk will also be flatter than walking uphill from Waterfront, especially if you walk along Georgia rather than Dunsmuir (the station is underneath Pacific Centre mall which runs between these two streets).

City Centre Station doesn't show up on Google directions well, because they have the name recorded as Cty Ctr (!?) - but plug that name in and you'll get detailed directions...

Thank you so much!!

When are you staying in Vancouver? One of us might end up being the first CC'er to post about the Days Inn. I'm there July 19th - 21st.

Thanks everyone for the info. It's really appreciated.

You'll be the first! I'm going 1 night in August. Please let us know how you like it.

I was excited to see Fresh Local Wild food truck featured on Diners Drive-ups and Dives is just a few blocks from hotel.

We're not arriving until 1 pm but if time and weather allow our plan is food truck. Then go a block or two further and pick up shuttle for the suspension bridge. Be back a few hours later and walk through Gastown for dinner. Head out the next morning for a real cup of coffee then go to pier around 11.

I need some advice booking a post cruise hotel for one night mid- summer. I've narrowed my choices down to" Best Western Plus Chateau Granville ; Century Plaza Hotel & Spa. Any opinions on either one of these choices? I'm open for suggestions.

Looking for something in a quiet area, mid price. I've read a lot of posts on the Days Inn on Penderhow does this hotel compare to the other 2?

Thanks in advance for your opinions

So glad I found this thread. So confused on Vancouver. Fla girl here, first time to Alaska and 1st time to Vancouver. Heard so much how beautiful, we are staying one night to experience and see the city. Not sure where to look for a hotel, hear east side is not the place. Not looking to break the bank, was looking at the St. Regis, just trying to get a place closer to Stanley Park and yet still around shopping and late (not so late:cool: anymore dinner). Would love to walk but catching a trolley, hoho, is great too. Any advise on which hotel would be sooo appreciated and if they offer a pick up service from the port, even better. Am I asking too much now? Can do a taxi!:)

I need some advice booking a post cruise hotel for one night mid- summer. I've narrowed my choices down to" Best Western Plus Chateau Granville ; Century Plaza Hotel & Spa. Any opinions on either one of these choices? I'm open for suggestions.

Looking for something in a quiet area, mid price. I've read a lot of posts on the Days Inn on Penderhow does this hotel compare to the other 2?

Thanks in advance for your opinions

If you want quiet, avoid BW Chateau Granville like the proverbial plague. Granville Street is one of Vancouvers designated 'party zones' with more pubs & clubs than you can shake a stick at! Rooms at the back might not pick up too much street noise, but I wouldn't take the chance if another option is on the table.

The Century on Burrard is between a large hospital and a church, opposite is the open plaza behind the Sheraton Wall Centre. Potential noise here would be ambulance sirens - but then anywhere in the downtown core you'll always hear the occasional siren.

Days Inn - it looks like no-one currently reading/posting has actually *stayed* in the Days Inn yet. I'd say it's probably going to be the quietest of these three since it's not on Granville, nor does it have an ambulance bay next door. It's certainly the most convenient for getting to Canada Place, and also good for walking down into Gastown or Chinatown.

So glad I found this thread. So confused on Vancouver. Fla girl here, first time to Alaska and 1st time to Vancouver. Heard so much how beautiful, we are staying one night to experience and see the city. Not sure where to look for a hotel, hear east side is not the place. Not looking to break the bank, was looking at the St. Regis, just trying to get a place closer to Stanley Park and yet still around shopping and late (not so late:cool: anymore dinner). Would love to walk but catching a trolley, hoho, is great too. Any advise on which hotel would be sooo appreciated and if they offer a pick up service from the port, even better. Am I asking too much now? Can do a taxi!:)

Sounds like Blue Horizon or the Listel might fit your description - they're both on Robson, our main 'shopping street' and closer to the park than most mid-range downtown hotels. The Empire has had a few reviews since their reno - it's closer to the park, with a revolving restaurant if that's something that would interest you.

But personally I'd ask myself "What will I spend most of my time doing?" and then pick a hotel most convenient for that - our downtown is very compact and walkable, has ample transit, and a choice of HOHO buses that stop at or near most all of the hotels, so regardless of where you stay you can get to the park, shops, restaurants without much difficulty.

Port pickups are offered by a few (very few!) hotels, because frankly they add no value - a cab from *anywhere* downtown to the port won't run much more than $10 even in rushhour traffic, and if there's a 'free' shuttle you have to go at the times they offer rather than whenever you want. But maybe you're traveling as a big group who would need three cabs or something... The Hampton Inn gets generally quite positive reviews, does offer a shuttle, and includes breakfast, internet etc.

Not sure it's an extra time vs extra money argument. Not only is taking the bus and walking on the ferry cheaper, it's faster too. I'll take that challenge pretty much any weekday, especially during the summer where it's not unusual to have a 1-2 sailing wait for cars.

If you intend to spend time in Victoria, why not fly there to start with. Most of the time a flight to YYJ/Victoria isn't much more than a flight to YVR/Vancouver.

For public transportation [downtown] Victoria to [downtown] Vancouver; your choices are the PCL Bus (which doesn't always go all the way downtown), or taking the city bus on each end (bus+skytrain on the Vancouver side), which will get you to a couple of blocks from Canada Place.

Let me know if you need the details, but to put it in perspective, it's under $10 ea way if you do it by bus (+ferry of $15), vs $37 for the coach, or $50 ea way to take a car on the BC Ferry.

Thanks martincath & scottbee for the info! We've decided to take the public transit base on your recommendations.

Flying straight to YYJ is definitely a good idea...now I regret for booking my flight tix tix from YYZ to YVR too early:(

Work has been quite busy lately, I'm sure will do more research on Vancouver / Victoria later, maybe I'll post on this thread again to seek more more advice;)

Thanks fellow Canucks!

Btw, it's freezing here in TO (-28), please tell Mr. Warm we miss him a lot:o

Edited by dorakk

Thanks for the heads up on the Chateau Granville. I will definitely cross that one off my list. Still looking at the Century Plaza as a possibility. Price is right for a one night stay. I'm also looking at the Empire Landmark as per a previous poster. It's tough when you don't know the city and you need to stay in budget!

Thanks for the heads up on the Chateau Granville. I will definitely cross that one off my list. Still looking at the Century Plaza as a possibility. Price is right for a one night stay. I'm also looking at the Empire Landmark as per a previous poster. It's tough when you don't know the city and you need to stay in budget!

Clean, quiet, budget accommodation downtown Vancouver in cruise season - are you mad!?!? Just kidding;)

Actually there is a hotel I can personally recommend, the YWCA hotel - we stayed here for a week on our first visit to Vancouver before we moved here. Proceeds go to support the YWCA; there are full-sized shared kitchens so you can make your meals if you want to really minimize costs; and they do have 'normal' en suite hotel rooms as well as ones with shared bathrooms.

And if you don't mind not knowing exactly which hotel you're staying in, you can always try Priceline/Hotwire deals.

You'll be the first! I'm going 1 night in August. Please let us know how you like it.

I was excited to see Fresh Local Wild food truck featured on Diners Drive-ups and Dives is just a few blocks from hotel.

We're not arriving until 1 pm but if time and weather allow our plan is food truck. Then go a block or two further and pick up shuttle for the suspension bridge. Be back a few hours later and walk through Gastown for dinner. Head out the next morning for a real cup of coffee then go to pier around 11.

Change of plans (pretty common for me) I won't be staying at Days Inn (unless I can beat my newest price) - I remembered a work discount travel site and so now I've rebooked with Comfort Inn. It ended up saving $83 total from the Days Inn price so I figured I should go ahead and take it. Time will tell if I did the right thing or not. I hope someone will eventually be able to post about their stay at Days Inn.

As far as seeing Vancouver, we get in Friday evening and plan on doing the Hop On Hop Off trolley all day on Saturday but would love to find that food truck too. Right now, if you buy your HOHO ticket on line the second day is free. So, maybe we'll do that just in case we don't get enough seen the first day. Part of that tour includes going to Granville Island and we want to spend some time at the Public Market there. I don't know if that means we should do do the main Vancouver tour on Saturday and then go over to Public Market on Sunday before we board or not. If anyone with experience with HOHO wants to give their thoughts about time needed for all that, I'd really appreciate it.

If you're looking for good coffee before you board. Cafe Artigiano (Howe & Hastings) two blocks from the cruise terminal would be the place to go.

<snip>

As far as seeing Vancouver, we get in Friday evening and plan on doing the Hop On Hop Off trolley all day on Saturday but would love to find that food truck too. Right now, if you buy your HOHO ticket on line the second day is free. So, maybe we'll do that just in case we don't get enough seen the first day. Part of that tour includes going to Granville Island and we want to spend some time at the Public Market there. I don't know if that means we should do do the main Vancouver tour on Saturday and then go over to Public Market on Sunday before we board or not. If anyone with experience with HOHO wants to give their thoughts about time needed for all that, I'd really appreciate it.

How long the HOHO takes isn't really a factor in whether you can see what you want to - if you jump on and sit there for a whole circuit (well, technically two circuits if you're on the Trolley since they split the trip into two overlapping loops in high season) without getting off you'd be done in well under three hours, even allowing for traffic and waiting a few minutes while transferring between the two loops. If you check their detailed brochure now it's the Winter version, one big loop, that takes 2hrs 10mins - when split I *think* the time per loop is about 1hr 15mins each (anyone have a copy of last years summer schedule saved?). The other HOHO companies should be very similar in length.

'Some time' in Granville Island public market is as subjective as it gets - if you just want to see it, you can walk round the inside in ten minutes. If you're actually browsing the stalls, you can easily find a couple of hours has disappeared. Factor in watching some of the many buskers who perform, grabbing a meal, and it's quite possible to spend half a day or even longer on the island without getting bored - all day if you take in a show at the theatre, maybe do a guided walk, shop some of the many, many other stores outside the public market itself.

If it's your first trip here, you need to prioritise which sights are crucial *for you* to see - look for BCHappygals extensive list as a great starting point for 'big hit' popular tourist spots.

Change of plans (pretty common for me) I won't be staying at Days Inn (unless I can beat my newest price) - I remembered a work discount travel site and so now I've rebooked with Comfort Inn. It ended up saving $83 total from the Days Inn price so I figured I should go ahead and take it. Time will tell if I did the right thing or not. I hope someone will eventually be able to post about their stay at Days Inn.

I have been away for several weeks so am a bit late into this. However some thoughts would be to make a refundable reservation at the Comfort Inn and then watch Hotwire and do some bidding on Priceline as you may well end up with a better hotel at better rate. In incidentally, I was once very involved in the re-make of that hotel and frankly it would be very low on my "stay list"

The Vancouver Trolley is a great way to see a lot of Vancouver in a short period of time. What we tend to do with HOHOs is do the full loop(s) then go back and visit what we really want to see. As for Granville Island, there is much to the Island then just the market and if you want to take it all in then I would be inclined to budget about 3 hrs....with maybe about 30 mins or so for the Public Market, as you are not likely going to be purchasing much there.

We will be in Vancouver on May 15 tru 17th, Cruise leaves on the 17th, Hoping to see some of Stanley Park on the morning of the 17th, Looking at the trolley service, I see that does not start till June. Is there any other way to see Stanley Park?

We will be in Vancouver on May 15 tru 17th, Cruise leaves on the 17th, Hoping to see some of Stanley Park on the morning of the 17th, Looking at the trolley service, I see that does not start till June. Is there any other way to see Stanley Park?

You have a couple of options:

We rented bikes and had a great time seeing Stanley Park.that suggestion was given to us by all the helpful regulars on this board.:D

We rented bikes and had a great time seeing Stanley Park.that suggestion was given to us by all the helpful regulars on this board.:D

That is a great idea and there are a number of bike rental shops near the entrance to Stanley Park, on Georgia, Denman and Alberni Sts.

http://www.yelp.ca/search?find_desc=Bike+Rentals+Stanley+Park&find_loc=Vancouver%2C+BC

Do you recall if there are places to lock up the bikes when you make stops to eat or go into the aquarium? Do the bike rental stores provide locks?

Every bike rental provides locks and helmets (the latter are required in Vancouver and the former just sensible), and you should find yourself constantly falling over bike racks anywhere around downtown or the various buildings in the park.

Further to Sanjim's note, the regular HoHo Trolley does make several stops inside the park all year round - it's just the Park Shuttle that only runs in high season. If you were already considering a HoHo tour during your stay it's a quite feasible way to experience the highlights of the park (but terrible value if the park is the only part of the tour you want to do of course! Assuming a HoHo does work for you though, the regular trolley stops will probably be enough especially for just one morning - Totem Poles, Rose Garden and Prospect Point are all worth getting off to take photos and wait for the next trolley, so that's an hour gone already even if you don't get off at the Aquarium, Tea House or Fish House stops.