Vancouver answers from a Vancouverite

vickie_bernie

How do you feel about the Pan Pacific joined to the cruise terminal?

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

The Pan Pacific is so very convenient for anyone cruising from Canada Place, just take the elevator down to the cruise terminal to check in.

The Fairmont Waterfront Hotel is located directly across the street from Canada Place, offers similar views as the Pan Pacific and also has the luggage transfer service to the pier.

Interesting, thanks for the head's up. I'll have to do some checking on this location.

• 4 weeks later...

I just wanted to say Thank You! We recently cruised out of Vancouver and were looking for both a hotel to stay precruise as well as one that we could leave our car at. We chose the Accent Inn in Bunaby and are ever so happy we did! We stayed overnight the day before the cruise, received transportation to and from the port and were able to leave our car parked in their lot all for 173! That was about half the cost of just parking at the pier for the 14 days. The hotel was clean, employees very friendly and the rooms large! The transportation service included was prompt and very nice as well! They came to pick us up right on time, actually early! We disembarked at 9:55am, went through customs and our van was there to pick us up! We were back at the hotel by 10:30 (maybe before) Just wanted to give a big thank you and heads up to anyone looking for a place to stay and park. The Accent Inn more than provided all we wanted. We felt very comfortable parking in their lot and the transportation provided was wonderful as well.

I just wanted to say Thank You! We recently cruised out of Vancouver and were looking for both a hotel to stay precruise as well as one that we could leave our car at. We chose the Accent Inn in Bunaby and are ever so happy we did! We stayed overnight the day before the cruise, received transportation to and from the port and were able to leave our car parked in their lot all for 173! That was about half the cost of just parking at the pier for the 14 days. The hotel was clean, employees very friendly and the rooms large! The transportation service included was prompt and very nice as well! They came to pick us up right on time, actually early! We disembarked at 9:55am, went through customs and our van was there to pick us up! We were back at the hotel by 10:30 (maybe before) Just wanted to give a big thank you and heads up to anyone looking for a place to stay and park. The Accent Inn more than provided all we wanted. We felt very comfortable parking in their lot and the transportation provided was wonderful as well.

Glad it worked out for you and you are happy. I have stayed at some Accent Inn properties, know the family who own them and know them to be excellent operators. Their stay and park package is hard to beat and I never have a problem recommending them. Thanks for the feedback.

Glad it worked out for you and you are happy. I have stayed at some Accent Inn properties, know the family who own them and know them to be excellent operators. Their stay and park package is hard to beat and I never have a problem recommending them. Thanks for the feedback.

You're welcome. I wanted to make sure I came back and let all know what a great experience we had at Accent Inn. You're right, you can't beat the price for the value given. We were going to stay overnight the day prior to our cruise since we wanted to be in Canada in case of a long wait at the border. So basically we saved a lot of money by staying there since no cost for our car to be parked. (as an aside, the drivers were very surprised at our tip given, is this customary? We did tip very well.) Thanks again.

You're welcome. I wanted to make sure I came back and let all know what a great experience we had at Accent Inn. You're right, you can't beat the price for the value given. We were going to stay overnight the day prior to our cruise since we wanted to be in Canada in case of a long wait at the border. So basically we saved a lot of money by staying there since no cost for our car to be parked. (as an aside, the drivers were very surprised at our tip given, is this customary? We did tip very well.) Thanks again.

Yes, tipping is the norm. The value of the ride was likely in the range of about $50 each way so anything greater then $8 would have been very generous.

Yes, tipping is the norm. The value of the ride was likely in the range of about $50 each way so anything greater then $8 would have been very generous.

I felt they helped load the luggage, drove us and helped unload. I think the driver to the port was going to just leave upon getting the luggage out, but when he saw the tip, he picked up some of our baggage and said follow me! Anyway, the tip was the tip that we wanted to give regardless ($20) He did take us right to the luggage handlers at the port. In NYC or other US ports, we get to the area to be dropped off and all kinds of helpers (expecting about $2/bag) are there and you have no choice whether to use them or not. Anyway, this did not happen in Vancouver, I'm happy our driver helped since it was way too much for us to manuver ourselves, plus we had no idea really where to go. After the cruise, our luggage was right there waiting, plus luggage carts! We were so happy to see that. We just followed the signs to where shuttles were parked and our driver back was waiting. It all worked so seamlessly; we were happy and felt those tips were well deserved. Also, with the total cost only 173.00 including both transfers, room and tax, it was a steal we felt! Not to mention parking included!

Edited by sept10dsm

Hi. Going from Hyatt Regency Vancouver to the port..approximate cost for a cab?

Then, getting off a Princess cruise and spending a night at the Ramada Limited Downtown Vancouver 435 w Pender Street. How much should I expect a cab to cost from the port to the hotel.

The next day we are getting on Carnival..would that be the same port?

Thanks so much for all the info you guys have shared.

Doris

A taxi from Canada Place to the Accent Inn should be right around $20 (it's about half the distance as Canada Place-YVR for comparison), so any tip above 4-5$ would have likely been a biggish surprise. the other option is it's about a two block walk to the Boundary bus loop, grab a #9 bus there and connect onto a Skytrain (the original Expo line) which drops you ½ block from Canada Place.

As the OP was enjoying a "stay, park & cruise" package at the Accent Inn that included transportation to an from Canada Place, I am not certain why walking, transferring and schlepping their luggage on public transportation would be an option.

Then, getting off a Princess cruise and spending a night at the Ramada Limited Downtown Vancouver 435 w Pender Street. How much should I expect a cab to cost from the port to the hotel.

Doris

Hi Doris. I stumbled upon your post as I too am looking for transportation and lodging for a night in Vancouver. It is a small world when you're cruisin'. We're boarding the NCL Jewel on 9/21 for a nice trip down the coast ending in Los Angeles. We've had to put our cruising on hold for awhile due to our daughter's wedding last year and my knee replacement last year. It's nice to see a familiar "face".

Hi Cindy. We have our hotels..just looking for cab fare now to make sure we have ab udea if the price. I called the hotels direct just now and they both say $10 - 20 each way.

We got our hotels through Hotwire.

Doris

Hi Doris. I stumbled upon your post as I too am looking for transportation and lodging for a night in Vancouver. It is a small world when you're cruisin'. We're boarding the NCL Jewel on 9/21 for a nice trip down the coast ending in Los Angeles. We've had to put our cruising on hold for awhile due to our daughter's wedding last year and my knee replacement last year. It's nice to see a familiar "face".

Doris

Cab from Hyatt to port and port to Ramada Downtown both should be around $10 or less. They are very close to Canada Place.

You might consider walking if you're able -- many people do. The walk from Hyatt is downhill and to Ramada is mostly level, then very slightly uphill.

According to Port Metro Vancouver schedule, Carnival Miracle shows as docking at Canada Place on Sep 17.

Edited by ell52

The hotels both mentioned walking, but because we are doing two cruises, in two different types of weather, we will have too much luggage, I think.

Thanks.

Doris

Cab from Hyatt to port and port to Ramada Downtown both should be around $10 or less. They are very close to Canada Place.

You might consider walking if you're able -- many people do. The walk from Hyatt is downhill and to Ramada is mostly level, then very slightly uphill.

According to Port Metro Vancouver schedule, Carnival Miracle shows as docking at Canada Place on Sep 17.

As the OP was enjoying a "stay, park & cruise" package at the Accent Inn that included transportation to an from Canada Place, I am not certain why walking, transferring and schlepping their luggage on public transportation would be an option.

That's correct. We were very happy with what we did and had lots of luggage. We thought we had a bargain for the ease of parking where we spent the night. The reason I even started asking here for suggestions on a park/stay/transportation option was due to the extreme cost of parking at the port for 14 days. The 'free' parking was the best option of the deal plus we were very pleased with the service provided by the shuttle service and to us 2 twenty dollar tips was well deserved. We were in a different country and totally unfamiliar with the area. We were going to stay in Canada the night prior to the cruise so this package was a win win. We received everything we wanted for about half of the total just for parking! Never mind paying for a hotel room.

A taxi from Canada Place to the Accent Inn should be right around $20 (it's about half the distance as Canada Place-YVR for comparison), so any tip above 4-5$ would have likely been a biggish surprise. the other option is it's about a two block walk to the Boundary bus loop, grab a #9 bus there and connect onto a Skytrain (the original Expo line) which drops you ½ block from Canada Place.

This made no sense to me since we pd. 173 for the hotel, transportation to the port and return and were allowed to park our car for free 14 days in a safe lot! We had lot of luggage and the shuttle service provided by Accent Inn was wonderful, thus the tipping.

Hi All, DH and I will be visiting Vancouver for the first time before our Pacific Coastal Cruise next month. We´ll be getting in YVR at 1:30 PM, and with customs, getting to our hotel and settle in I think we would be ready to explore at around 4 pm.

We are only staying for two nights (so actually 1 day and a half of sightseeing) and would like to see Stanley Park, Granville Market, Grouse Mountain and explore Downtown/Gastown.

My plans are Stanley Park the afternoon of our arrival day, next morning Grouse Mountain and Granville Market (lunch there) and Downtown/Gastown in the afternoon/evening. Is this possible?

Is it easy to get to Grouse and then to Granville (taxi, public transportation) and then back to downtown?

We are staying at the Georgia Hotel (Rosewood), any info will be appreciated.

Hello All,

When I was researching a precruise stay no one on CC had seemed to have stayed at Days Inn 921 West Pender Downtown Vancouver. I just filled out my review at the hotel site and wanted to post here as well.

The thing I couldn't write on the other site was when I booked in February (6 months precruise) the rate was 122. Out of curiousity I checked a few months later and it was up to 174. Then 1 month precruise it was sold out. I was extremely happy with the low rate I paid for such a great location. See my review below:

This is the ideal pre-cruise hotel for those that can carry their own luggage. We took the Canada Line Train from Vancouver airport. We exited at Waterfront Station on West Pender Street It was an easy 2 block walk to Days Inn. Our room was ready when we arrived at 1pm. We dropped our bags off and walked through Gastown and Chinatown. The next morning we headed off in the other direction and walked through the financial district to have breakfast at a cafe. We went back to hotel, picked up our bags and walked about 3 blocks to the pier. This is a great location to see Vancouver without having to rely on a taxi or bus. Regarding the room - We had 614 with a queen bed, large flat screen TV and air conditioner. The room is about the size of a cruise ship cabin. Because it's in the city the view from most windows is facing the alley. We were there to sleep so size and view didn't affect us. The walls were a pleasant color and there was crown molding around ceiling. Bathroom was white and clean with tub and hairdryer. Mini fridge has pitcher for free filtered water dispenser in laundry room. This was a very easy place to stay pre-cruise because of how close it is to train and pier.

Hi All, DH and I will be visiting Vancouver for the first time before our Pacific Coastal Cruise next month. We´ll be getting in YVR at 1:30 PM, and with customs, getting to our hotel and settle in I think we would be ready to explore at around 4 pm.

We are only staying for two nights (so actually 1 day and a half of sightseeing) and would like to see Stanley Park, Granville Market, Grouse Mountain and explore Downtown/Gastown.

My plans are Stanley Park the afternoon of our arrival day, next morning Grouse Mountain and Granville Market (lunch there) and Downtown/Gastown in the afternoon/evening. Is this possible?

Is it easy to get to Grouse and then to Granville (taxi, public transportation) and then back to downtown?

We are staying at the Georgia Hotel (Rosewood), any info will be appreciated.

Grouse to Granville is going to be very tight unless you like a late lunch - by the time you get done at Grouse you could be already into the afternoon as there are quite a few things to see. Transit is pretty efficient for Grouse, but you'll probably find it even easier to use their free shuttle (walking from the Georgia to Canada Place is simply four blocks straight down Howe Street).

Translink to Granville Island is a little annoying - the #50 bus gets close, but you still need to walk a quarter mile. If you're set on doing lunch on Granville, I'd grab a cab as soon as you get dropped back at Canada Place by the Grouse shuttle - should be under 15 mins. On your way back, try taking one of the little ferries across False Creek.

Personally I'd eat in Edible Canada for lunch on GI - and have at least one of your dinners in Hawksworth inside your hotel.

If you literally just walk around on Granville Island you can be done in an hour plus lunch - but if you pop into the shops, browse the public market, watch a busker etc. you could find it's five pm and you haven't even started back over to downtown yet... Remember you have the morning of your cruise though - you can drop your bags then go for a wander into Gastown very conveniently, the 'big hits' of the Steam Clock and Gassy Jack statue are both along Water Street which is also where most of the renovation has been done, so it's the most picturesque 'old building' street too.

Exactly what to prioritise depends on you - outdoorsy, historic, arty? And if the weather is bad, you probably won't enjoy Grouse much so have a backup to spend the morning at, preferably indoors...

We'll be at the Ramada Limited at 435 west pender, ..did you happen to notice if it is closer or farther from the dock than your hotel? Glad to hear it's a nice area, and I hope our hotel is close enough to yours to have the same experience.

Hello All,

When I was researching a precruise stay no one on CC had seemed to have stayed at Days Inn 921 West Pender Downtown Vancouver. I just filled out my review at the hotel site and wanted to post here as well.

The thing I couldn't write on the other site was when I booked in February (6 months precruise) the rate was 122. Out of curiousity I checked a few months later and it was up to 174. Then 1 month precruise it was sold out. I was extremely happy with the low rate I paid for such a great location. See my review below:

This is the ideal pre-cruise hotel for those that can carry their own luggage. We took the Canada Line Train from Vancouver airport. We exited at Waterfront Station on West Pender Street It was an easy 2 block walk to Days Inn. Our room was ready when we arrived at 1pm. We dropped our bags off and walked through Gastown and Chinatown. The next morning we headed off in the other direction and walked through the financial district to have breakfast at a cafe. We went back to hotel, picked up our bags and walked about 3 blocks to the pier. This is a great location to see Vancouver without having to rely on a taxi or bus. Regarding the room - We had 614 with a queen bed, large flat screen TV and air conditioner. The room is about the size of a cruise ship cabin. Because it's in the city the view from most windows is facing the alley. We were there to sleep so size and view didn't affect us. The walls were a pleasant color and there was crown molding around ceiling. Bathroom was white and clean with tub and hairdryer. Mini fridge has pitcher for free filtered water dispenser in laundry room. This was a very easy place to stay pre-cruise because of how close it is to train and pier.

We'll be at the Ramada Limited at 435 west pender, ..did you happen to notice if it is closer or farther from the dock than your hotel? Glad to hear it's a nice area, and I hope our hotel is close enough to yours to have the same experience.

Online maps are your friend for this kind of question - you're about three blocks further away from the pier than the Days Inn. While the street does get a little scruffier down by the Ramada, Pender is usually fine - but if you plan to walk into Gastown, I suggest walking along Richards to Water Street. Hastings gets very sketchy around Pigeon Park.