Grand Turk? What to do?

emilymad

I am sailing on the Caribbean Princess on one of the 4 night sailings. What is the best thing to do in this port? Any recommended excursions? I checked out the Grand Turk board but I didn't find too much information. Thanks! :)

We did the Iguana bus. The air conditioning was a great relief during our hot weather visit. The bus tour offered 4 stops: 1) at the cruise port, 2) near a bar, 3) near Her Majesty's prison, and 4) at the lighthouse park. An arm band served as the ticket, and it was a hop-on/hop-off deal. It was a good way to get an overview of the area.

While we were at the lighthouse park, we saw some people boarded their rented motorized scooters. DH and I were discussing the challenge of remembering to drive on the "WRONG" side of the road (no disrespect intended to all the other cultures represented here who drive on the left).

Forgot to mention... Don't plan to shop! The immediate port area is a bit limited, and we didn't see anything else. The lighthouse park and the prison had gift shops.

DH and I 'wandered' toward the waterfront from the prison... just to look around. We were asked if we needed help and encouraged to head back to the bus route, so apparently not many people do that. Along the waterfront street near the prison, there were several vendors of t-shirts and artwork.

We have been there twice on the Crown and we just relaxed on the beach and the pool at Margarittaville. I am wondering if there is a place to rent bikes on Grand Turk. Has anyone ever done this?

I went to a very clean beach right off of the pier. I gave a guy $5 for a beach chair and had a very relaxing day. I also walked around Margaritaville (very nice pool area).

I tried to walk off to get a tour for around the island but there wasn't enough people....

We did dune buggies first trip there and it was great.. IMHO right up there with America's Cup.. What a way to see the island AND have sooo much fun at the same time. The views are gorgeous.... going back there on Crown next Feb. and just might do it again. Margaritaville was "just" open when we were there in '06 and port area so anxios to see how it's changed.

One of our CC members (seaisme) on our Zuiderdam sailing had day reservations at a bed and breakfast type inn. I know it included lunch. I'll see if I can dig up some info from our roll call on it.

Digging Done... Grand Turk Inn.

Here is her comment upon our return...

Bob...Grand Turk was WONDERFUL! it was the Caribbean 50 years ago. So if you are looking for "party time"...go no further than the port area. But if you want a great relaxing day, go to the Grand Turk Inn. Sandy and Katrina made us so welcome. Had a wonderful lunch on a "to-die-for" breezeway...club sandwiches (yum, yum), potato salad, and a coleslaw that I begged for the recipe! Plus a wonderful appetizer tray and drinks. Then we went across the street and had a (small ) private beach all to ourselves. We were able to drift on floats supplied by the Inn...and Sandy came over with more bottled water for us and to just check to see if everything was OK. They have an outside shower so we were able to shower and change before walking around town. Understand that "town" is about two small blocks...so it may take all of 15 minutes to see everything.

All I can say about Grand Turk Inn is that you couldn't find a better way to spend a quiet day on Grand Turk. if that's what you enjoy...then contact Sandy. She and Katrina will make you feel like family. And tell them Cass and Steve said "hello".

I agree with the pp about the Grand Turk Inn. We spent the day there in November and had a great time! The two sisters who run the place are wonderful. They gave us beach gear (floats, etc.) and we used their beach all day (no one else was there). The lunch they prepared was great. I definitely recommend checking it out. Their website is http://grandturkinn.com/ and you can get information and/or make reservations by using the contact button on the website. Here is the info. they sent me when inquiring:

For US$40 per person we offer the following - access to the living room of a suite to leave your belongings while at the beach or to sit and relax. Outdoor rinse-off shower and separate toilet facilities.

There is a small white sand beach across the street from the Inn. We provide beach mats, floats, snorkel gear and fins.

Lunch is served in our shady Breezeway area - eg: club sandwiches, cole slaw, potato salad, dessert pie, bottled water and sodas. You are welcome to bring beer or wine.

We are about 2 1/2 miles from the cruise port ($5 per person taxi fare) and are located "downtown" - easy walking distance to historical buildings etc.

We also off a relaxed, friendly atmosphere - my sister and I own the Inn and personally serve our guests.

Archived