Balcony or not to Balcony that is the ?

BobandBrenda

Hello we are thinking of crusin on the Rapsody of the Seas to Alaska.

We are going back and forth about getting a balcony. Last cruise in Europe that was cold we never went out on the balcony. Too cold! But I'm unsure if we will want to see Alaska from our balcony or just go to areas on the ship.

If we go to areas on the ship will it be too crowded?

Help those who have cruise on the ROS before.

Thanks

Brenda and Bob

Peoria, AZ

Frankly - I would choose a different ship and then decide on the cabin. In my opinion, Rhapsody of the Seas has the most mediocre itinerary of any ship that sails to Alaska. Is Seattle a priority or RCI? If leaving from Seattle is important - there are better options. If cruising on RCI is important - then Serenade out of Vancouver has a better itinerary.

We had an obstructed oceanview cabin in Alaska last summer on the Coral Princess, and I'll be in an inside cabin this summer on HAL Veendam - both northbound cruises out of Vancouver. A balcony is not important to me, but lots of people wouldn't consider cruising to Alaska without one.

Now I happen to be one that likes the balcony. There has been many times that while sitting on the couch I would look out and watch the scenery go by. I do spend a lot of time on the decks but my DH and i thoroughly enjoy that time in our cabin having a drink, coffee, etc. I am now at a point of my life where on all of our cruises we have a balcony. Now also after doing excursions, having lunch we go back to the cabin and enjoy the scenery on in the port area. Ketchikan, and Juneau are particularly good for that.

Marilyn

I agree with Nancy about finding a different itinerary.

As far as the balcony question goes, you'll get lots of different thoughts. IMO, if you normally sail with a balcony, you'll want one for Alaska. If it's ordinarily not a big deal, then I wouldn't worry about it. To me, it's not a make-or-break, and I'd rather save the $ for excursions.

We had a balcony and loved it especially when we were approaching College Fjords. It was unbelievable the harbor seals were floating on the chunks of ice and in the distance you could here the ice cracking. Everyone was running to the upper decks to view the glacier and we were on the balcony. It was one of the highlights of our cruise.

08/20/08 - Alaska Carnival Spirit

10/2006 - New England/Canada

08/2005 - Alaska Carnival Spirit

My choice was Rhapsody for two reasons, it leaves from Seattle and I don't fly, so we will be doing a road trip from Wyoming which will be fun too, also there have been so many good reviews from people in Texas about this ship. But we are going for the ship, not the ports. This is our first cruise and just want to enjoy the the ship it's self. As far as the balcony goes, a friend of my went to Alaska 2 years ago and she was just amazed at what she could see from her balcony vs up on deck. So it depends on what you want out of your vacation. I would vote for the balcony not matter where you left from or what ship you were on:)

But we are going for the ship, not the ports.

This is our first cruise and just want to enjoy the the ship it's self.

It's your vacation, so you have to do what works for you, but IMO, prioritizing an 11-year old ship over Alaskan ports seems like you are missing out on a lot.

As far as the balcony goes, a friend of my went to Alaska 2 years ago and she was just amazed at what she could see from her balcony vs up on deck.

I'm not sure I understand. Are you saying that your friend thinks you can see more from a balcony that the deck? IME it's the opposite. Balconies are nice, but you don't get the side to side view offered by certain places on open decks.

My choice was Rhapsody for two reasons, it leaves from Seattle and I don't fly, so we will be doing a road trip from Wyoming which will be fun too, also there have been so many good reviews from people in Texas about this ship. But we are going for the ship, not the ports. This is our first cruise and just want to enjoy the the ship it's self. As far as the balcony goes, a friend of my went to Alaska 2 years ago and she was just amazed at what she could see from her balcony vs up on deck. So it depends on what you want out of your vacation. I would vote for the balcony not matter where you left from or what ship you were on:)

Yes, we are all different. Although I would not go on a ship if it had a lot of negative reviews, my priority was ports and seeing Alaska. I read alot on this board and decided what were the things I wanted to see most in Alaska. Then I read about the different cruiselines and picked an itinerary that would take me to the ports I wanted, for the longest time. This is my first cruise, and possibly the only one. It is likely my only trip to Alaska. I want to see Alaska. If it were about the ship, I would probably be going someplace cheaper like the caribbean.

I have been on Splendour of the Seas (sister to Rhapsody) and on Jewel of the Seas (sister to Serenade). Both are very pretty ships, but the Radiance-class ships win hands-down. Since you're picking a cruise for the ship - I would drive to Seattle and then take Amtrak to Vancouver to sail on Serenade.

I wanted to add that when Rhapsody cruises out of TEXAS - it's a Caribbean cruise, not an Alaskan one with a not-so-great itinerary!

Hi:

Ok - here goes another opinion. I love the Radiance Class Ships too! The Radiance from Seward Alaska was great last year and I am really excited to go on the Serenade this year for 13 nights to Alaska leaving from Vancouver. I have also left from Seattle to Alaska before on NCL Sun - it was our first time to Alaska but I would never chose that one again!

Anyway about the balcony. I never cruise with a balcony but HAVE every time I have went or will go to ALASKA. I think it is so worth it. I dont do the expensive excursions - I just do little one's and explore the cities mostly by myself. I love sitting on the balcony, having wine or hot chocolate or whatever. It is so fun to bundle up and just sit there. Both times (June and AUgust) it wasn't that cold where I was freezing. One time I did put gloves on when I was on deck the glacier viewing day. This year I am getting an AFT Balcony which I have heard blocks the wind.

Anyway I would never go to Alaska and not get a balcony. What have you decided? THere is nothing as beautiful as Alaska - I am hooked. Have fun whatever you decide :)

Michelle

The Rhapsody is a great ship. I sailed its first season in Alaska about 1996/7?? When it was the biggest ship there. :) I also sailed it 11-07, 14 days New Zealand. So- it's not the ship I am talking about. BUT the itinerary is one of the worse for Alaska and there are plenty of other round trip Seattle ships to choose from. It doesn't sound like it matters to you -the itinerary, but for general information, anyone going to Alaska for Alaska, this is an overall poor choice.

I recently found out that friends of mine went on their first cruise last summer - on Vision of the Seas to Alaska (same itinerary as Rhapsody in 2008). They loved the cruise and Alaska. It just goes to show that people can have a great time in Alaska on a ship with a crappy itinerary - especially when they don't know any better!

Hi Brenda & Bob!!

We're your neighbors! We live in Glendale right at 51st Ave north of Beardsley.

I like to add my two cents here. I'm usually in agreement that ANY cruise to Alaska is a great cruise but I have to agree with some of the others here.

This itinerary doesn't sound too exciting. Sailing out of Seattle you can pick up a 7 day trip that includes at least one more port such as Ketchikan or Sitka. These are such great places to visit & I think you'd be missing out if you weren't stopping in as many cities/towns as possible.

As for the balcony, we'll be in our 1st in September. For us it's a splurge but on our sailing the difference wasn't that bad between inside or balcony. I guess that was part of the deciding factor for us to get one. I hear from everyone that we'll be "hooked" now & won't go back to inside cabins. We'll see.

Check out some other options. No matter what you choose you will have a great time!

Barbara

I cannot change the route. My husband is very ill and his grandfather was a goldminer and he is tracing some of his events. We have a book that was written about his grandfather. Its in great detail of what he went through. My husband wants to do this before he gets worse.

I think we get a balcony just incase he gets tired, but he my husband so far does not want one.

Brenda and Bob

Peoria, AZ

I cannot change the route. My husband is very ill and his grandfather was a goldminer and he is tracing some of his events. We have a book that was written about his grandfather. Its in great detail of what he went through. My husband wants to do this before he gets worse.

I think we get a balcony just incase he gets tired, but he my husband so far does not want one.

Brenda and Bob

Peoria, AZ

What is it about the route that Rhapsody travels that other ships from Seattle don't take? Other ships visit MORE Alaskan ports - although most go to Victoria rather than Prince Rupert for their "foreign" port. Is that a crucial port?

We need Seattle, Juneau, and Skagway. Theres no way to get to Dawson via cruiseship.Anyway these are the ones I can remember.

Brenda and Bob

Peoria, AZ

Oh yes Hi my Glendale neighbor!

Take a look at the NCL Pearl. It visits Seattle, Juneau, and Skagway plus goes to Glacier Bay.

Hi Bob and Brenda

Sounds like you might have it covered pretty well, particularly since it is the prospecting history of your husband’s grandfather that becomes the theme of your voyage.

We cruise quite a bit but never had a balcony until lately. Now my wife wants nothing but. Must admit too, I like it a lot better than I thought I would. Many nights I fell asleep on the deck enjoying the ocean breeze and the stars. Even when it got relatively cool out, I still liked it. There may be times when you are on the wrong side of the ship when something exciting is happening on the other, but you can always do the deck thing then. When it is chilly out, slipping back into the cabin to warm up a tad is a real advantage. In your situation, I certainly would opt for the cabin with the veranda.

Now, I can’t really say I have cruised Alaska, since we have lived here all our lives but I have been on plenty of poor man cruises here (The State Ferry System). But, the reason I stuck my nose in here and posted was to ask if the grandfather did the Klondike? Do you mind sharing which areas of the country he might have worked or mined in? :)

Ken

I am sure that there are many places that you can cruise to in this world where a balcony is not needed. However in the main people go to Alaska to see the scenery and in my opinion you will miss a lot of scenery not having a balcony.

We have cruised many times to different locations (including Alaska), with and without a balcony. Our preference on an AK cruise will always include a balcony. We just look at the extra cost as another great excursion.

Obviously others have different priorities and therefore different viewpoints, but for us, nothing compares to ordering morning room service of salmon, croissant, fruit, steaming coffee and then enjoying it all on the balcony while viewing glaciers (in our warm and cozy PJ's if the mood warrants)! :)

Archived