Why do people book only one half of a connecting stateroom set?

The one time we have had a connecting room was when we had an OV guarantee and that was the room we were assigned. It did turn out to be noisy. The folks next to us fought and argued continuously and we seemed to be able to hear every word. (It was in a language we don't understand, however, so I don't know what their issues were.)

So to the poster who is annoyed by those who book connecting rooms without necessity, there may not be any sinister or selfish or thoughtless motive. It might just be that they were assigned to that room. I certainly wouldn't choose one voluntarily again.

I wonder if 10 years ago before brochures, on line booking and cruise critic.......if anyone cared or even considered if they were booking connecting staterooms?:rolleyes:

What makes you think there were no cruise brochures 10 years ago? We booked our first cruise in 1995. Our travel agent gave us a beautiful 4-color book with all the ships in the line and detailed deck plans for every ship. We very carefully booked our cabin avoiding a connecting cabin.

We always avoid connecting cabins unless family or friends are in the connecting cabin. We took a guarantee once on the Summit and were given a connecting cabin. The people next door smoked heavily plus we could hear everything (and I don't exaggerate when I say everything) going on next door.

We've never even booked a guarantee cabin again for fear of getting put in a connecting cabin with strangers next door.

For our cruise in Oct I booked a connecting room as we had friends joining us, then they bail. Now I am concerned, that I would be splitting a family and told my TA I would move to another room, but by then none available. After rechecking our rooms, I saw they in fact were not connecting so we were ok. I would have been willing to switch with a couple next to us, if say we were between them and their parents, once boarded.

It is interesting to me that I just noticed this thread because we booked our next cruise while onboard. Our only request was that we be in close proximity to our son's cabin which is a PR while ours is a balcony. I only noticed this morning that ours is an adjoining cabin. I did make sure that we were not assigned a handicap accessible cabin ( due to discussion on another thread on cc) and the LA said he couldn't book one of those anyway. So.. I hope our "neighbors" are quiet. I would be willing to change to another cabin but I'm not sure it would be worth the hassle. Has anyone ever been moved from a specific cabin that they booked without being consulted?:confused:

We're in a suite on deck 10 and our neices are in the closest D1 - the only choice was a connecting room -- not to ours, though. (We tried to get connecting rooms, but couldn't.) I would much rather that our neices NOT have a connecting room to someone else just in case there is noise I'd rather they didn't hear.

I imagine room assignments are like a huge moving puzzle and there is only so much RC can hold back without affecting sales. I do think they should show more inventory when you are trying to book online. We felt a lot of information was lost when we were on the PHONE with the agent. If all the room options were online I think we would've done a much better job of picking rooms for ourselves, plus we wouldn't have played the 100 Questions game with the phone agent. (Is there one down the hall? Is it connecting? How far apart are those rooms? etc.)

Miami when I am ready to book I will way ahead of time have my # 1 room selection, along with a # 2 selection, as a backup incase my 1st choice is gone, then meet with my TA who goes on the phone immediately with the Cruise lines and checks my room selection while I am there. I know immediately what room we will be in, or what is availabe near by.

Archived