Some naive questions from a young first-timer! (Caribbean cruise in Nov)

itf

I'm considering booking my first cruise tomorrow - I'm 27 and my fiancee is 26, so I guess we're quite young for it?! It's certainly not that usual here int he UK for younger people to go, I don't think. My father used to go a lot when he was younger and talked about it a lot when he was alive so I've always wanted to give it a go.

The cruise we've found is in the Caribbean on the Emerald Princess in November. We'd be sailing from Ft Lauderdale.

We've got a comparatively limited budget, and we've been offered a cabin on the Emerald Deck with an Outside view (I don't know the terminology!) - we know it's not likely to be the best but it's within our reach financially. I understand it's a nice ship, so I guess that wouldn't matter too much? The cabin is mid-ship, I'm told - is that better?

I understand it's quite a big ship - would that be a bad thing for a first time cruise?

So, here's a few questions before I try and get work to give me the time off!

Are there usually many younger people on cruises?

Is there much to do on the days at sea - I think we'd have two consecutive days?

It seems food is included but not drinks - is that just alcoholic drinks, or soft drinks? Do drinks tend to be expensive on board?

Are excursions generally more expensive when booked on board then when booked locally - and do excursions fill up quicky - we're very keen to do diving, snorkelling etc... and don't want to miss out!

The night before is in Miami - is it easy to get to Ft Lauderdale via taxi?

Hi Itf,

Welcome to Cruise Critic and to planning your first every voyage.

You're never to young to cruise. I went on my first when I around six and have adored cruise travel ever since.

The Emerald Princess is a very large ship, with an average of 3,117 or so passengers on an average cruise. The larger ships are exciting to travel on. Some might feel daunted by trying to negotiate a large vessel, but, it's a great adventure with so much more to discover.

I took my girlfriend aboard the Queen Mary 2 for her first ever cruise and she was hooked on cruising within the first three hours.

Cabin

An outside view cabin would give you a window only. The next cabin level up would give you the option for a balcony. Balconies are wonderful to escape to and enjoy as you cross the ocean, perhaps you can consider booking one for your next cruise.

Cabin Location

Mid-ship is the best spot to book a cabin, this is the most stable portion of the vessel during rough seas.

Passengers

You will meet people of all ages on your cruise. If you are traveling during the holidays then you will encounter lots of people your age. The great thing about cruising is you meet a wide variety of people young and old, there is a great camaraderie amongst the passengers so don't be put off if you don't imediately encounter others in your age range.

Sea Days

The general sentiment amongst veteran cruisers is that sea days are the best days. There is a wealth of activities to keep you busy aboard from organized sports games, bingo, ping pong tournaments, trivia (our favorite) movies, cooking classes and on and on.

When you are at sea you experience a marvelous contentment, the cruise groove, there is no stress to run around and do everything, you do whatever it is that appeals to you.

On Board Beverages

Soda and alcoholic drinks are not included. Many of the lines have drink cards that can be purchased and enable you to get 30 sodas for $20. In general cocktails are not too expensive between $3 & $5. It varies from line to line but, this is my experience on Cunard and Holland America Line. Usually lemonade, hot chocolate, coffee and tea are complimentary. There will be an extra charge for specialty drinks like cappucino and espresso.

Excursions

The excursions booked through the ship will be a bit more expensive, but, you are paying the extra for the reliability of the vendor. Also, on most circumstances if a ship booked excursion returns to port late, the ship will wait for you, if you book independently your on your own.

You should take a peak at the Princess Forums at Cruise Critic you will get a lot of useful information on your ship.

Best of luck and have a wonderful cruise.

Jonathan

Thanks for the quick and helpful reply. :) The more we read about it the better it all sounds. I'm looking for a holiday where I *CAN'T* do any work even if I want to... the 'cruise groove' you describe sounds perfect. Here's another silly question - are there locker rooms by the pools? Are the pools often too full on ships?

Although you must pay for sodas and alcohol, coffee, tea and juice are available all day without charge in the buffet area. Ice cream is included in the dining room and at certain times of the day in the buffet area. There is also a separate ice cream shop that charges.

Don't forget that you must tip $10. per day per person in your stateroom.

This covers tips for your dining room waiter and busboy and your cabin steward.:D I believe they have also added a fuel charge per person per day...$5. I think.

We've not traveled on Princess so I'm not sure as to whether they have lockers. You needn't worry about have anything stolen by the pool. If you have certain valuables like a wallet, jewelry or watch you can easily store them in the safe in your cabin.

The ship's pools definitely get busy, but, you'll discover the peak times while your aboard. The pools tend to be particularly quiet when the ship is in port. We often enjoy touring around for an hour or two and then return to the pool for a relaxing afternoon.

Jonathan

Thanks for the quick and helpful reply. :) The more we read about it the better it all sounds. I'm looking for a holiday where I *CAN'T* do any work even if I want to... the 'cruise groove' you describe sounds perfect. Here's another silly question - are there locker rooms by the pools? Are the pools often too full on ships?

When you are on the ship all you need to carry with you is a little plastic card which is the key to your cabin, as well as the card you will use to buy things on the ship. It will be linked to a credit card which you will furnish when you sign in to get on the ship. You will also need this card and a photo ID when you leave the ship in port.

The night before is in Miami - is it easy to get to Ft Lauderdale via taxi?

Its about $70 via taxi or limo, maybe as much as $85 to go from Miami to Ft Lauderdale. The Ft. Lauderdale airport is right next to the port, but the Miami airport is about 35 miles away or so.

There is also a share a ride, which runs $18 per person plus tip.

Its about $70 via taxi or limo, maybe as much as $85 to go from Miami to Ft Lauderdale. The Ft. Lauderdale airport is right next to the port, but the Miami airport is about 35 miles away or so.

There is also a share a ride, which runs $18 per person plus tip.

Is that something you book beforehand or via the hotel? I think we need to go from South Beach up to Ft Lauderdale.

I think you'll find plenty of people your age. If your budget is an issue, then switch to an inside cabin. You'll save a lot of money, and you won't be spending much time in the cabin anyway.

Is there a fee for room cleaning. A friends said they were on board and they were charged a room cleaning fee. Just wondering.

No extra charge other than the tip that is added to your account each day for the cabin steward (cleaner), waiter and bus boy.

Mid ship is better, ocean view is wonderful but balcony is better, Princess is a fine line, there will be people of all ages, there is plenty to do on sea days, I promise, if you choose traditional seating you will be seated with people of your own age group, food is free you pay for drinks but not until you settle your account -- you just sign for them during the cruise, some of the excursions do fill up, and some are expensive, the ships ones are vetted and you can be assured they are top quality as opposed to going out on your own. You might be better off to fly into Ft. Lauderdale. I'm not sure what cab fare is from Miami.

Bottom line: You're gonna love it!!! :D :D

Bon Voyage!

Archived