Jeans for shore excursions

fun2travel

Definately acceptable. Myself, I don't like jeans for Alaska, I do spend all my time outdoors, even on the ship and they tend to get and stay damp, are bulky and take forever to dry. I only take lined wind pants and leggins.

Definately acceptable. Myself, I don't like jeans for Alaska, I do spend all my time outdoors, even on the ship and they tend to get and stay damp, are bulky and take forever to dry. I only take lined wind pants and leggins.

I have been looking for sometime now for lined windpants. The ones I have found have thin mesh linings or nylon linings or a combo of both. Are there some available with a heavier lining? If so, could you suggest where they might be found? Also do you get waterproof ones or just regular?

I have been looking for sometime now for lined windpants. The ones I have found have thin mesh linings or nylon linings or a combo of both. Are there some available with a heavier lining? If so, could you suggest where they might be found? Also do you get waterproof ones or just regular?

Have you considered silk thermal undies instead of heavier pants. That would give you the choice of warmer or cooler pants depending on the weather. Unless you are going very early in the season, you might have days in the 70's or even the 80's. Also, the ship will be warm.

Jeans are the official uniform of Alaska.

Sorry, but Carharts are the official uniform, worn with Xtratuffs in the south and bunny boots (in winter) in the north. Jeans come in a very distant second, but can be worn in formal situations if your Carharts are too grungy.

I will be going to Alaska for my 5th and 6th times(B2B) and I live in my jeans. Trust me a whole lot of people wear them while on board during the day.

Marilyn

I will be going to Alaska for my 5th and 6th times(B2B) and I live in my jeans. Trust me a whole lot of people wear them while on board during the day.

Marilyn

Like BQ, I am not really a jean person. I find them confining on trips. I have been looking for wind pants for months. So far I never came across any with a heavier lining like a flannel. Perhaps they aren't made that way? Everything I have found has nylon or mesh linings. I just don't want to spend too much more time looking for something if it doesn't exist.

Everything I have found has nylon or mesh linings. I just don't want to spend too much more time looking for something if it doesn't exist.

I bought some for our upcoming trip from Academy Sports. They are a Nike brand and I believe they are lined with a cotton knit, almost like a T-shirt knit. I've worn windbreaker pants through my younger days, playing sports etc and I've never seen them lined with a "heavy" fabric. Where are you looking? Try Athletic type stores, maybe even a large department store. While these aren't lined with heavy fabric, I plan to wear them over my long underwear. I'll take jeans too - but sometimes I find the elastic waist and looser fit comfortable.

I sprayed Scotch-guard on my jeans, and had no problems with them absorbing the rain except at the hem. I'm not a fan of thermal undies, even the silks, so I wore microfiber tights instead. And at $4-5 a pair, it's a great bargain. DH even wore a pair of them and like 'em!

Can we plan to wear jeans during the day on the ship most of the time?

I think since it sounds like it will be cooler, that jeans sound like a good thing to wear.

Yep, we did. I think I took 2-3 pairs!

Archived