Explorer - Junior Suite v. Grand Suite

I'm comparing a Junior Suite on the Explorer to a Grand Suite for 2 adults and a two year old. The price difference is $880.

Aside from the space difference (which truth be told, really is not that much), any other reason to spend the extra money? At this point I don't quite see it, but can be convinced.

Thanks.

Well, for $880.00 you will get the use of the concierge lounge--that's really the only difference, besides the added space.

While I'm all for comfort, a 2 year old doesn't take up much room--I would think a JS would be a great room, at a great price!

Well, for $880.00 you will get the use of the concierge lounge--that's really the only difference, besides the added space.

While I'm all for comfort, a 2 year old doesn't take up much room--I would think a JS would be a great room, at a great price!

I'm not even sure you can bring the 2 yr old into the CL. Don't you have a tub in the JS??

I'm comparing a Junior Suite on the Explorer to a Grand Suite for 2 adults and a two year old. The price difference is $880.

Aside from the space difference (which truth be told, really is not that much), any other reason to spend the extra money? At this point I don't quite see it, but can be convinced.

Thanks.

Actually, I think that it's a very large space difference. And a two year old needs room to run around, and leave toys, etc. If it's a 9 day cruise, and the difference to go from JS to GS is $880 total, I think that that's a pretty good buy. Look at the number like this: 9 days x 3 people = 27; 880 ÷ 27 = $32.59 more a day per person.

Sounds better, eh? ;) It's less than a hundred dollars more per day for all of you to get the GS.

And if it's a 12 day cruise, the numbers are even better.

Its been a couple of years since our last trip with RCCL (switched to NCL suites for awhile because of the more reasonable baby pricing). We had an owner's suite on the last RCCL trip, which came with access to the Concierge, but asides from tickets to the Ice Show, I can't remember any "perks."

Are there any that we would be giving up with the Junior Suite, as opposed to the Grand?

Thanks.

Its been a couple of years since our last trip with RCCL (switched to NCL suites for awhile because of the more reasonable baby pricing). We had an owner's suite on the last RCCL trip, which came with access to the Concierge, but asides from tickets to the Ice Show, I can't remember any "perks."

Are there any that we would be giving up with the Junior Suite, as opposed to the Grand?

Thanks.

JS does not get you access to the Concierge Lounge.

The CL has a lovely Continental + breakfast spread in the morning.

The Concierge can assist you with things, like ice show tickets, excursion/spa/Portofino reservations. S/he can probably help with booking a babysitter. S/he can print your boarding passes for you, and in a GS there is a DVD player and the Concierge has DVDs for you to watch.

There is a cocktail "hour" in the CL, roughly 5/5:30 to 8/8:30 each evening, with free open bar and hot and cold hors d'oeuvres.

You can "hang out" in the CL if you want during the day; you get a key card that you swipe for 24/7 access to the room.

We (my sister and I) had a Grand Suite on the Voyager and even though it did hurt our pocketbooks at the time we loved it. It will be hard to be in a Jr. Suite on our cruise next year. The cabin was quit a bit larger than a Jr. Suite, our balcony was twice the size which made it nice for long breakfasts. We had a lounge chair, 3 chairs and 2 tables. There was a double sink in the bathroom along with a tub. We had a large bar (counter top) and more than enough room for our suitcases and all the clothes we brought with us. And they were well hidden out of sight so we were not tripping over them. We had use of the concierge lounge for free drinks and appertizers every night. Our concierge made our reservations for Portofinos and got us our ice skating tickets which we were happy since the line for the ice skating show was out the door and down the hallway. We also had a bottle of wine one night in our cabin, another night we had fruit and cheese waiting for us and another night we had cookies and chocolate covered strawberries. Everynight it was an adventure waiting for us to find something extra in our cabin. I am not sure if the Jr. Suites had them but we also had a French Press coffee pot in our cabin too. If you can afford the extra money to use on your vacation than go for it. I don't think you will regret it.

If you don't mind spending a one-time fee (9.99 or 11.99 ??) you can go to cruisestaterooms dot com and compare acutal photos of the different cabin types on different cruise ships. We used that site to help us make up our minds between the GS and the JS on our last cruise.

I agree! The difference is the size is huge - no pun intended. There was so much space for personal items that we actually had empty cabinets and shelves.

The bedroom area is great when you pull the drapes at night. It is DARK and feels like a separate room.

The CL is great.

I would go for the GS - well worth the money.

Enjoy!

We have stayed in both, the JS is perfect for the 2 of us. We are going on our next cruise with our son and will be a GS. We are diamond members so the CL is not an issue.

JS has a huge walk in closet and a tub in the bathroom. For $880 I would probably go for the GS.

Archived