If you're currently on a ship due in to Fla. please tell us what's going on out there

Hi folks. I've had an email from Host Caroline, who is currently on the Mariner. The captain's noon report from the Bridge on Sept. 24 was they are "tentatively" setting arrival at Port Canaveral for sometime Monday morning.

She also said the hurricane may be close enough that they will not be able to dock early but they are hoping that conditions settle down enough to enter the port on Monday -- the Captain is not sure about that but Host Caroline says they definitely are NOT coming in Sunday or early Monday.

They are somewhere on the north side of Cuba and the weather is expected to be good the next two days. They have very windy conditions now, but the captain expects swells to be reduced later today.

I know someone from Explorer also has posted already.

Please keep us up to date on what's happening aboard the ships!

Hi Mir! Ohhhh! Deja Vu! Sounds just like my cruise last month on Navigator during Frances. Not only did we troll the coast of Cuba for 2 days, but we did donuts south of Haiti for a day too. Host Caroline says she loves sea days, lets see what she says when she gets home! :D

thanks miriam! all my hound friends are on that cruise and it's great to hear they're ok. as for the monday arrival...maybe not. jeanne is now a cat2 and they are saying she may become a cat3 or 4 and since landfall is expected to be right around the port, they might detour them. i know that the port was heavily damaged during frances and she was a weaker storm.

we're all battened down here in palm beach and all we can do is wait for now.

sending a shout out to my hounds in the pound!!!! be safe puppies!!!!

Hi Miriam, Llindac is on a family cruise on the Enchantment due back in FLL on Monday so we are watching closely. She is our hurricane chaser but she has never come anywhere near this close to getting extra sea days. Since all the parents and in-laws are with them might not be quite as much fun all on their own.

Hi - We are currently on the Navigator and we are located in the Florida Straits waiting for the Miami Port to reopen. Expected to arrive sometime on Monday Morning. Captain Sullivan is doing a great job of keeping us in Cell Phone range and they have set up a telephone bank in the conference with 10 open lines for people without cells or without access to the concierge to call their families and airlines. The crew is doing their best to go about business as usual but the feel on the ship is fairly tense...lots of worrying about what is happening back home going on. Otherwise it is a beautiful day where we are.

Based on the news here in Miami, the exacution order will be lifted early on Sunday. I am wondering why NOS can't get back on Sunday afternoon as the original plan suggested. Could RCCL still change this one more time?

Any news on modified itinerary for the short cruise? If you are in 1694, keep our cabin warm. : )

RRKKY -

Capt Sullivan advised the decision of bringing the ships back on Monday morning are made on conference calls with Miami headquarters and based on the Port of Miami re-opening. We were originally advised late on Sunday and it changed to Monday morning. No further updates to advise...just hanging around waiting. Very breezy outside...Seas are choppy, but fortunately this ship is so big you can barely feel any movement. Not in 1694 but the ship is apparantly full so I know your cabin is warm for you. We are presently warming 1308!

Take care -

Hi folks! I've heard from Host Caroline again from the Mariner. She said they spent today at Labadee. The Captain is still saying that he plans to come into Port Canaveral Monday... that the storm is moving faster than they thought yesterday and that he plans to be off PC Monday a.m. with hopes that the Coast Guard will clear the ship to enter if winds are below 30 knots.

At this point, pax are getting 10 mins free phone and internet.

She says she will send me an update with the noon tomorrow report. Oh, and the weather here gorgeous. The Mariner is now off the coast of Haiti.

Hi all --

My wfe and 5-month old son are supposed to be taking our first cruise on the Majesty of the Seas leaving Monday, Sep. 27, along with a dozen of my wife's extended family, including parents, aunts, uncles, and grandma (she's turning 80 and this is the celebration).

With all of these other ships having their arrivals pushed back from Sunday to Monday, is it likely that there will be a big jam-up at the Port of Miami?

Also -- anybody know about the situation at the airport? We're in California, scheduled to fly out of SFO on the tomorrow night (Sunday), and then take the red-eye from Las Vegas to Miami, scheduled arrival at 6:30am.

Prior to Jeanne, we figured that 5 1/2 hours would be enough time to make it to the Port for a 12noon boarding, but I'm imagining that there will be some delays now. :-}

Any advice? Also, we've got Berkely's LesureCare protection -- any idea on how good they are at helping in situations of delays and such?

Thanks a lot!

--Darryl

....becalmed as it were off the northern coast of Haiti while the ship's staff tends to a medical emergency necessitating the transport of a patient, medical staff in two "shifts" to Cap Haitien.. we were supposed to leave by 6:00 (already 2 hours late) and we are still here.. I guess the good news is that we will reach Hurr. Jeanne later rather than sooner, the bad news that even in ideal conditions we would be late to Port Canaveral.

To those of you sailing next week, I hope you have a chance to sail with this great captain.. he is keeping us abreast of all the situations and I will update you here or thru Host Miriam so that you can plan for your cruise next week...

and if anyone gets back to cocoa beach.. can you go by the Rad and check on a burgundy Altima in the parking lot???:mad: :mad:

later guys

Hi all,

As of last evening (it's 6am now) we were near Cuba and approx 200 miles from the hurricane. We've been told that we'll be back at Miami come Monday morning along with eight other ships...that should be fun!

Seas have pitched and rolled a bit more, but just a bit more. Obviously missed our Nassau port of call but no biggie.Extra sea days suit me fine

Watching CNN in the room and cannot believe the devastation in Haiti. Was going down to Midnight Buffet with friend the other night and realizing how close we actually were to Haiti...well, the juxtaposition of our oppulent food offerings and people scrambling for basic food and water....made me feel horrible.

Best wishes to all on land who are dealing with another hurricane. Stay safe.

Kathy (aka CaribKat57)

We are now off the northern coast of Cuba, it's gorgeous, lots of small ships. They are still telling us that we are going to Port Canaveral tomorrow.. He said Disney and Glory are going to alternate ports after the ships that normally go there will have priority.

He said that of course they cannot go into PC until the Coast Guard surveys the channel for depth and channel markers and to det. that there is no damage to port structures etc. He is planning a conference call later this afternoon with headquarters in Miami and may have a further announcement then. There is also the consideration that the ship cannot go into the Port if winds are 30 knots or so etc. as you all probably remember from Frances! He did mention the possibility that we could have to wait till Tuesday but is still optimisically telling us that it will be Canaveral tomorrow :confused: Bottom Line: they don't have a clue yet because conditions at the Port are such that no one can begin to assess damage etc. in area.

NOW THE "UNOFFICIAL": a friend we are traveling with is from Melbourne /Cocoa Beach area and cruises often on RCI and knows the officers here onboard.. They are telling him that a decision has been made NOT to go into any port other than Port Canaveral i.e. that passengers who were scheduled to board ship today (26th) are so far scattered due to airline schedules (Orlando doesn't open till tomorrow), etc. that it would be a logistical nightmare to get in touch with air/sea, independent air and driving passengers to tell them that the port has changed and get buses etc. And there are so many ships "backed up" at Miami and Port Everglades that we would be way way down the "line" so to speak to get in to dock! As of right now no one can even get across causeways to Cocoa Beach etc, power is down on barrier islands where port is located and they live and conditions are such that residents cannot return.

So it may be tomorrow and it may be Tuesday.. I will post later today if there is a further announcement or when our friends onboard here from the folks that they live near and who are actually at Cocoa Beach area.

This will be posted on the other threads also and if I can't get on CC again will email Host Mirian so look for updates from her also.

Those on NOS, what time do you expect to get into port tomorrow. We want to be first on board since we have a new itinerary and need to book our shore excursions. Any info you have would be wonderful. I hope you are enjoying your two extra days, we are ANXIOUSLY awaiting your arrival.

My niece got married last night, and was booked on the Mariner to depart today. Guess not!! But they are just thrilled with the compensation package they are getting. They are flying down tomorrow morning (hopefully) and will just go to the port and wait.

Here is the latest info I have from Host Caroline and the Mariner -- The Mariner will remain at sea hoping to dock at Port Canaveral "some time" on Tuesday. It appears they are not considering diverting to Miami or Port Everglades. Please note, they are not saying Tuesday a.m. for sure, just "Tuesday."

I hope to hear from Host Caroline again tomorrow after the noon report from the Bridge.

Lori, did your niece make it to Florida okay?

Em, guess now we'll really find out how Host Caroline likes those sea days, huh? Are you replaying your Navigator cruise still?

No Mir, they haven't headed to Florida yet. I think the airport is still closed. My sister is also going to Orlando to see Dad and leaving on Tuesday am. How fun....My niece gets to leave on her honeymoon...with her MOTHER!!! LOL!!!

What an exciting way to start off married life...$500 cabin credit, AND 50% off their next cruise! Too bad their honeymoon trip will be shorter though.

The "kids" have an atrium cabin. Do you think since they are on their honeymoon and so many people won't get to the ship, that they might get upgraded?

Hi, everyone. I JUST got this email mail from Host Caroline aboard the Mariner --

"we will dock in Miami tomorrow about 3:00 a.m. and they will begin debarkation at 6:00 a.m."

Those of you sailing out (including Lori's your neice) need to check RCI's website or check with your TA to see what arrangements are being made for you to get to the ship!!

I'll post more later if I hear from Host Caroline again. Otherwise, she will try to post herself if she can.

Archived