Clamshell Location on HMC

In Toronto

We have rented a clamshell on HMC. Are there a lot of clamshells and is there an area that is nicer than the others that we should make a beeline for when we get off the tender? Are they set up in rows going back from the beach?

Thanks.

IIRC they are set in a single row, with other non shaded loungers in rows in front of you. When you get there you look for the fellow with the pole that opens up the clamshell. I'm sorry I don't remember if you have to stop at the rental hut or not, but your ticket should tell you.

I like to be within easy walking distance of the bbq hut and the bar. Just remember to take a book or something so you can prop up the back of the clamshell to let some air circulate.

Half Moon Cay is my favorite stop........

Just wanted to edit to add that I don't mean for it sound like wall to wall loungers in front, I think they are somewhat in sections if that makes any sense. I did not have any directly in front of me but rather forward and just to my right.

You need to take your coupon to the concession hut on the beach which is the first beach exit after you go through the "fort" so to speak. At the concession hut the attendant will take a plastic pole to whatever clamshell you choose. He then sets up the clamshell with the plastic pole. In some cases they just give you the pole and you do it yourself. Without the pole the clamshell cannot be erected. Thats how they control their use. You can pick whichever one you want. They are not reserved like cabanas are. HMC is truly heaven on earth.

Both times I have been there I thought I was among the first off the ship~ wrong. I did have to walk with the fellow who opens them up, they need a special pole or something to set them up. Anyway there were quite a few that were broken, so we'd walk some more, stopping when there was an empty one.

I never really chose mine, just took the first one that worked. Which was fine with me as I spent most of my time in the water. I see you're from Toronto, I'm in BC but it was so nice to able to get wet all at once. None of that ankle, knee,waist, deep breath and dive that I do here.:eek: :D

I like to get a clamshell down the beach.

The first time that I went to HMC, I got one right at the beach entrance. The area was very packed!!

The other two times I went down past several cabanas towards the very end of the clamshells.

It was a small distance from the majority of the people, but it was very nice.

I agree with the others that HMC is great!! To me, it's the perfect beach day. I have my photos from my last cruise on my laptop and pull them up to calm me down from the nuts at work.

Check on cruisecal.com to see if your ships is the only one on the island that day. Sometimes there are two ships and if you are late getting to the island, you might end up without a clamshell.

When I sailed on the Westerdam, there was a couple who set camp up in one of the clamshell. They couldn't prop it up, but claimed the space anyway. Later on, they got very hostile when one of the workers explained to them that unless they had a purchase ticket, he had people with tickets who needed the clamshell. They got very nasty with the worker and someone from guest services had to come and talk to them. So if you can, get on shore early.

Happy sailing!!

Second time around on the Maasdam and 40th birthday cruise!!

10/24/08-11/07/08

Sometimes there are two ships and if you are late getting to the island, you might end up without a clamshell.

Roughly how many clamshells are there? When we're there in Oct on The Eurodam the Westerdam will also be there. That's 4100 people! :eek: Hopefully many will choose to stay on board.

What exactly is a clamshell? How big is it. Do you need to reserve one for each person in your party? Obviously I am new to this so I really appreciate this board and all the knowledgeable advise. Thank you all.

What exactly is a clamshell? How big is it. Do you need to reserve one for each person in your party?
It looks like a giant baby carriage hood, and is large enough to cover two lounge chairs with legs sticking out.

You only need to reserve one for every two people who want to use it. It comes with the two loungers that fit inside it. I do recommend getting one if you want shade. There is some natural shade available, but it gets harder to find as the sun climbs. You can reserve online ahead of time, as for a shore excursion, and this is probably a good idea as there may not be any left if you wait until you arrive.

If you don't want crowds, just walk down the beach as far as you want. We had the last clamshell down, and with one Vista at the island, did not feel crowded at all. There were loungers in front of us, but not all of them were occupied. Don't know what it would be like with two ships there - Eurodam plus a Vista does sound like an awful lot of people for the space.

Propping up the back of the clamshell does help a lot to keep it from getting overheated. You could use a book or a cooler or something, but I found I was able to get it to rest on the backs of the rear portion of the loungers (the part that sticks out to allow you to adjust the angle of the seat back), which gave really good air circulation.

Enjoy HMC - it's a wonderful beach!

You only need to reserve one for every two people who want to use it. It comes with the two loungers that fit inside it. I do recommend getting one if you want shade. There is some natural shade available, but it gets harder to find as the sun climbs. You can reserve online ahead of time, as for a shore excursion, and this is probably a good idea as there may not be any left if you wait until you arrive.

If you don't want crowds, just walk down the beach as far as you want.

We were at HMC last week and walked past the last cabana to find some loungers and lots of tree shade. It is further away from the facilities but also further away from the crowds.

It is one of the nicest beaches I have ever been to. I wish I could stay there forever. ;)

Thanks so much everyone. I think we will also walk to nearer the end of the clamshells so that it is not as crowded. Looking forward to spending much time in the water.

Sprocket, you are right - Caribbean waters sure beat our cold lakes!

Plaidsmom, the clamshell with 2 loungers cost $14.00 for the day and can be reserved by going to Excursions for Half Moon Cay.

Ellen

Thanks so much everyone. I think we will also walk to nearer the end of the clamshells so that it is not as crowded. Looking forward to spending much time in the water.

Sprocket, you are right - Caribbean waters sure beat our cold lakes!

Plaidsmom, the clamshell with 2 loungers cost $14.00 for the day and can be reserved by going to Excursions for Half Moon Cay.

Ellen

I'll take your cold lake waters over our frigid Bay of Fundy waters any day!!!!! :D They are not for the faint of heart. Looking forward to meeting you on board. We have a clamshell rented as well, and will most likely try to walk to the less crowded area of the beach.

Archived