NY Times Square hotel - Sheraton or Westin?

nesheiml

Has anyone stayed at the Westin Times Square, Sheraton Manhattan, or Sheraton New York & Towers recently? Any recommendations?

Looking into a cruise Dec 2008 or Jan 2009 and would possibly be in NY over New Years Eve.

Has anyone stayed at the Westin Times Square, Sheraton Manhattan, or Sheraton New York & Towers recently? Any recommendations?

Looking into a cruise Dec 2008 or Jan 2009 and would possibly be in NY over New Years Eve.

Be prepared to pay a HUGE amount for NY Eve. 2006/2007, minimal standard hotel rooms around Times Square were $500.00 and up per night for TWO.

I paid $950.00 for a hotel on NY Eve (Hotel Gansevoort). Oh, forgot to mention-I got a party on the roof top, champagne and chocolates. Believe me, NOT worth $950.00.

And you will have to book within the next couple of weeks, if you can book at all for NY Eve. Hotel rooms are sold out a YEAR in advance.

PS-just checked-I am a Starwood (Sheraton/Westin) elite member and even with my discount/upgrades, I was not able to get a room below $546.00 for New Years Eve in Times Square. And no guarantee that I would get a room facing all the hoopla. For a guaranteed Times Square facing room, the price was $876.00 for one king.

And IIRC, two years ago I had to get security passes to be able to access the hotel on New Years Eve day. Passport/identification info had to be sent to the hotel 72 hours in advance. I also could not just walk into the hotel. I had to go through security/NYPD every time I left/entered the hotel. One reason I choose the Gansevoort (even though the price was over the top).

I stayed at the Sheraton Manhattan in February of 06 and March of 07 and had a great experience both times. When we stayed in 2006 the City received 26 inches of snow, the City nearly came to a stand still!! Our entire tour group had to stay an extra night - the hotel handled our situation terrific !!

We haven't decided which week we'll be cruising, so we might not be there over New Year's Eve. But if we are there over New Year's Eve, are the two Sheratons far enough away to be out of all the mass of people?

We most likely will be in New York 1/8-1/11 and going on the 1/12 Explorer 12 night cruise.

We haven't decided which week we'll be cruising, so we might not be there over New Year's Eve. But if we are there over New Year's Eve, are the two Sheratons far enough away to be out of all the mass of people?

We most likely will be in New York 1/8-1/11 and going on the 1/12 Explorer 12 night cruise.

Just barely.

The Westin is much nicer than the Sheratons.

Are you using points? What about the Four Points Chelsea or Le Parker Meridian? Le Parker Meridian is in the same area as The Sheraton but about four blocks further out between 56th and 57th Streets.

Just barely.

The Westin is much nicer than the Sheratons.

Are you using points? What about the Four Points Chelsea or Le Parker Meridian? Le Parker Meridian is in the same area as The Sheraton but about four blocks further out between 56th and 57th Streets.

I agree that the Westin is much nicer. But NY Eve, 2006/2007, they had the streets blocked from 8th Ave to 6th Ave, 39th St to 52nd St after 10:00AM. And inside that area, was another area directly adjacent to Times Square where if you entered, YOU COULD NOT LEAVE after 4:00PM.

We taxied/walked from the Gansevoort about 2:00PM. I had been in Times Square NY Eve 2 times before, but DH had never been. I was gung ho to go again, but when he found out he couldn't take in beer and couldn't leave to go get a beer, he said forget it. We went to the party at the hotel instead-or I should say, I went to the party. It, too, was over the top. He sat in the room and watched TV. Par for the course.

To the OP:

UNLESS you REALLY want to party in Times Square, stay away from the area on NY Eve.

IF you are using points, the Le Meridian and Four Points are good options, as are the Sheraton on the Hudson in Weehawken, NJ or the NEW (hasn't been completed yet) Westin in Jersey City. NY hotels MAY have a blackout on points NY Eve. The W's are NOT available for points redemption on NY Eve (one of my employees wanted to book-NO GO).

Where are you flying into??? That may have some bearing on where you stay.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm looking at flying into Philadelphia and spending two nights there and taking the train to Penn Station the morning of the cruise. Then spending 3 days after the cruise in New York and flying back to Minneapolis from Laguardia.

I was initially looking at the 9 night on Explorer, but my DH wants to do the 12 night. So the options are Nov. 30 or Jan 11 cruises. Don't want to pay the price of the Christmas one and don't want to be gone over Christmas anyway. Leaning toward the Nov. 30 cruise, so we can see all the holiday lights in New York. :)

I'm looking at flying into Philadelphia and spending two nights there and taking the train to Penn Station the morning of the cruise. Then spending 3 days after the cruise in New York and flying back to Minneapolis from Laguardia.

I was initially looking at the 9 night on Explorer, but my DH wants to do the 12 night. So the options are Nov. 30 or Jan 11 cruises. Don't want to pay the price of the Christmas one and don't want to be gone over Christmas anyway. Leaning toward the Nov. 30 cruise, so we can see all the holiday lights in New York. :)

Crunch some numbers concerning the hotel rates, because when you return, you will be at the height of the NYC Christmas season, and the difference in rates are probably double. . .

• 3 weeks later...

Was fortunate to stay at the Westin for a few days recently. It is very modern, lots of metal, marble bathrooms, but even for one of the bigger rooms, it wasn't huge. But in NYC, spending time in your hotel room is the last thing you really should be doing. Too much to do. I am jealous. And although I know they are out there, there really aren't alot of bad places to stay in that area. If you have the time to walk, you can get anywhere.

Archived