Princess exchange scam for non-US citizens

chucklet

We tick the box and highlight it but always check at the pursers desk during the cruise. It has always been charged in US$ which suits us as our CC company don't charge for conversion to GB£.

I always take travelers checks, and then cash them in on the last night. Never have to worry about that nasty % on converson.

Just a point of interest to Canadians, anytime you use your charge card outside of Canada, they charge you a extra % on the conversion. Check your statements and you see what I mean.

Latest trick on US issued credit cards is to charge a 1% fee for charges made out of country in American $$.

This is even though no currency conversion is made.

Note: Princess charges will be considered as in country (USA), not out of country.

As 'guests' we shouldn't have to line up on the last day of the cruise, wasting our time to do something that should have been handled properly to begin with. I'm not going to bother calling Princess to straighten this out.... rather, I'm going to call Amex and let Princess deal with the hassles.

We travelled on the Emerald Feb 14th-24th and were surprised to find a 3% surcharge on our on-board account to convert from US to Canadian funds especially after we specified on embarkation forms that we to make payment in US funds ( on our VISA card). The statement arrived late to our cabin, on dis-embarkation day, and we didn't have time to go to the purser to straighten the matter out. We contacted our agent once home and she had Princess reverse the charges. I would rather have VISA do the conversion at no charge rather than pay the 3 %. It is really more a matter of principle, but our on-board charges for a family of 5 was over $3500 including shore excursions (and wine).

Sorry to hear you had this problem. We not only tick the line we circle the tick and then we use a highlighter to highlight the tick.

We went to the Purser's desk to ensure that we will be charged in US dollars. The Purser told us that unless we ticked the "convert" box, they are now charging across the board in US dollars. Strange this happened to you.

On an aside, we paid 4% on the dollar with the change in exchange rate combined with the Amex conversion charge. Hey, this beats the days where we looked at 50% on each dollar!

Judy

'Ticking' the box does not work all the time. We always tick the box but we also head to the pursers desk to double check a day or so before disembarkation. They do the same on fares. It is one of the reasons that we use an on line US TA

Archived