What a Shame! Casual Dress in Ocean Liners.

jasm8449

While it certainly doesn't ruin my cruise or dining experience if they don't, I really appreciate seeing my fellow passengers dress according to the code of the day in the dining room.

When it comes to Ocean Liners, we have always worn informal attire (jacket & tie for DH), as required. (We've never gone there on formal nights). Now, however, if it is a casual dress code night, casual attire can be worn in Ocean Liners.

While a majority of diners still wore informal attire (some men with jackets, no ties), quite a few were in decidedly casual dress...Hawaiian shirts, short sleeved polos, etc. I have to admit it that it was a somewhat of a letdown, at least for me. The room and service are so elegant, and it really added to the atmosphere when everyone was dressed for the occasion. It's just not going to be the same.

I guess I can avoid casual nights in the specialty restaurant, but we like dining there several times during a cruise, and I'm sure that with this new policy, there will be casual dressers on any given night.

You'll do just fine on Celebrity, they don't have any Ocean Liners, they have Cruise Ships.

Honestly, if what someone is wearing, and you're not talking Jeans and a ripped t-shirt here is really going to bother you, you probably want a much higher end cruise line.

It's really too bad that people have gone casual as a way of life. I'm sure that if Ocean Liners or any of the specialty restaurants said that jacket and tie are always the dress of the evening (on the confirmation card), then almost all of the people would abide. I like to dress up to go to a very nice restaurant but otherwise I, too, like to be casual. Just my choices.

I think she's talking about Ocean Liners aboard Constellation, not ocean liners as in the ship type. Unless that was tongue-in-cheek, or course.

It actually was, but by the time I realized that my smiley face wasn't there it was too late to edit!

I really think "Business Casual" is now just the way of the world, whether right or wrong, it is what it is. If they enforce that, that's fine, but I don't want to see the Jeans and Shorts in the dining room. Jacket and Tie, it's having a slow death, so many people just don't want to do that on a vacation.

I think in todays world with ailines adding large fees for second and third pieces of luggage, the cruise lines have to change their dress codes. I think both formal nights and informal nights add to the amount of clothing one must pack. Add the casual nights and you have to pack 3 different wardrobes.

I think its time to cut out the informal nights. Maybe NCL has the right formula

I think in todays world with ailines adding large fees for second and third pieces of luggage, the cruise lines have to change their dress codes. I think both formal nights and informal nights add to the amount of clothing one must pack. Add the casual nights and you have to pack 3 different wardrobes.

Even when we go for a land-based vacation, I still wind up packing just as much. The stuff I wear in the daytime is completely different than the stuff I'd wear at night - different fabric, different weight, different styles. And if we're going anywhere with cooler temps at night then there are jackets and coats. I still need different shoes for walking, exercising, dresses, pants, shorts. My husband can probably get away with less luggage on vacations without formal nights, but I would not.

It's great that NCL is more casual, but that does not mean that every cruise line has to follow their lead!

I think its time to cut out the informal nights. Maybe NCL has the right formula

you're gonna get it ( flamethrowers ) if you keep talking like that here LOL.

the lines are totally blurred IMO

I see people show up on formal night in a suit thinking that's formal wear, or casual wear thinking that's informal Ie: no tie. and sometimes the MAitre de cares sometimes not.

The Pure dress code cruisers are adament that it is intolerable to dress wrong and those attempting to breeak the dress code should be publicly flailed in front of all guests to set an example. The casual wearers don`t think anyone else`s experience is affected by what they wear and they think the others are too anal about it.

Is there a more controversial topic than this besides booze smuggling

I doubt it.

as long as the rules are vague and are not enforced and it is left up to individuals to guide themselves we will have problems.

I agree with both sides, and the cruise companies have one heck of a time trying to please everyone in this age of entitlement.

cheers,

I agree 100%. Although the dress code in Ocean Liners is now the same as for the main dining room, my husband and I could not bring ourselves to wear casual attire in the specialty restaurant. It felt so inappropriate given the formal atmosphere of the restaurant.

We dined there four evenings on our last cruise, and wore formal or informal attire each time we were there.

Hootsie, I agree. We eat in the dining room every night and go by the dress code, but DH does wear a dark suit, not a tux. On the last cruise 1/20/08 Mercury to Aust/NZ, I brought one long black tank dress and wore 3 different tops with it to save packing space.

We don't care to blow the extra $$ specialty restaurants.

Formal nights? We can take them or leave them.

It amazes me how rigid some people are even to the point of not cruising anymore if things get any "worse". :eek: Kind of on a par with people who won't cruise unless they can get a veranda or suite.

Saw a post to that effect on this board. Fine, more cabins for the rest of us.

I guess I am going to show my age, but what the heck, will be eligible for medicare in 17 days... anyway, I remember well, my grandparents celebrating New Years, where all the guests were dressed formally. I was in awe, but as with many things, in progressive years, more and more guests where in suits.

In my 20 years of being a commissioned officer in the Amy, tradition also changed with far fewer formal functions. I don't recall a single "dining in" my last five years of service. Times change, and although I thought these were important traditions, I accepted the change, just as I accept the change in dining requirements on board. What I don't accept is the lack of discipline by the cruise lines, and passengers alike! I believe the solution is simple. Part of the pre cruise registration process could be used to acknowledge the dress requirements, and affirm compliance. The cruise line could make a casual area such as the lido and sport deck with ease, allowing those who wish, to stay that way in the evening.

DW & I are big fans of the formal nights. We feel that it is part of the tradition and in the magic of cruising. I kind of do it for DW as I feel that our cruises are her vacation, I am always on vacation. I purchased a tux et al a while ago and I calculate that it will have paid for itself by the end of this year. I read on some of these treads that people are now using the excuse of the excess baggage charges that airlines have recently imposed to not bring dress or formal wear. Balderdash, we are paying thousands of dollars for these cruises and airfares to get to them, what is another $25 for an extra bag…..look at your bar bills. We won’t cruise on certain lines because of their lack of dress codes and it would nice if people who don’t want to adhere to the dress codes of those lines that do have such a code wouldn’t book on them.

Casual Dress means just tha, Casual. When my DH and I go on a cruise, it is for Vacation. I do enjoy dressing up on the formal nights.

slowpoke

EmeraldSeas 79’

Sun Viking 83’

Carnival Ecstasy 94’

Navigator of the Seas 05’

Jewel of the Seas Jan 07’

Coral Princess 12-07

I returned from an NCL cruise in Jan. It will likely be my first and last. I really missed the dressing up nights. Most people do not dress for formal occasions anymore and I think that is part of the fun of cruising.

I wonder if part of the problem is that people do not understand what is meant by formal and informal wear. I know,I know it is there in the paperwork.....:confused:.

I saw people on formal night on NCL wear what I would call business casual.

I don't see why if people want to dress casual they can't...just don't eat in the Main dining room.

(waiting for the flame tossing)

Honestly, if what someone is wearing, and you're not talking Jeans and a ripped t-shirt here is really going to bother you, you probably want a much higher end cruise line.

Celebrity used to be that high end elegant type of line!

While it certainly doesn't ruin my cruise or dining experience if they don't, I really appreciate seeing my fellow passengers dress according to the code of the day in the dining room.

When it comes to Ocean Liners, we have always worn informal attire (jacket & tie for DH), as required. (We've never gone there on formal nights). Now, however, if it is a casual dress code night, casual attire can be worn in Ocean Liners.

While a majority of diners still wore informal attire (some men with jackets, no ties), quite a few were in decidedly casual dress...Hawaiian shirts, short sleeved polos, etc. I have to admit it that it was a somewhat of a letdown, at least for me. The room and service are so elegant, and it really added to the atmosphere when everyone was dressed for the occasion. It's just not going to be the same.

I guess I can avoid casual nights in the specialty restaurant, but we like dining there several times during a cruise, and I'm sure that with this new policy, there will be casual dressers on any given night.

I could not agree more. For those of you that think casual attire is acceptible in specialty restaurants like Ocean Liner's, then dine in the dining room, your cabin or ther buffet.

Since obviously Ocean Liners will still have formal & semi-formal nights for those who want them, and you would doubtless be allowed to attend in formal ware on any night, even the casual nights (a privilege the dress code police would not countenance for those who prefer casual on formal nights), why begrudge people with difference preferences from yours the opportunity to enjoy Ocean Liners on their terms some nights, just as you get to enjoy it on yours?

Richard.

Since obviously Ocean Liners will still have formal & semi-formal nights for those who want them, and you would doubtless be allowed to attend in formal ware on any night, even the casual nights (a privilege the dress code police would not countenance for those who prefer casual on formal nights), why begrudge people with difference preferences from yours the opportunity to enjoy Ocean Liners on their terms some nights, just as you get to enjoy it on yours?

Richard.

When you put it that way it does sound a little selfish.

I find there is one compelling reason to abide by the dress code-because you're supposed to.

Happy Sails to You:)

OOOEEE:D :D Bob and Phyl

What is the dress code for the specialty restaurants?

Subject: Dress Code

The dress code in Celebrity's specialty restaurants is the same as the evening dress code in the main restaurant. Please refer to the dress schedule within the "Onboard Experience" section of this website to determine the appropriate attire for each cruise length.

No one is doing anything that they're not supposed to when they show up "Casual" to the specialty dining rooms on "Casual" night. The OP was complaining that people were there on Casual night in casual clothes.

Formal is going the way of the dodo bird. There is a thread about things people used to enjoy about cruising. Soon this will be one of them.

*Sigh* no use pining for the good old days, one poster nailed it saying "people don''t want to dress like that on vacation" it is true.

Of course cruise lines realize this and being a service oriented business in order to keep the masses happy they will succumb to the wishes of the majority and give leeway to keep everyone reasonably happy.

But there is also an opportunity here: close off a small section in the dining room, Designate formal only on certain cruises, or have a Formal only restaurant . Could this become a niche market?

How many of you have been to a wedding lately? I'm seeing more & more people wearing jeans!

PS - Ladies you look so stunning when you dress up.:) any other guys agree with me?

Cruise Junky....I'm not complaining that people are wearing casual clothes on casual nights. I was expressing my disappointment that the dress code for Ocean Liners has changed from formal on formal nights, and informal on all other nights, to allowing casual attire on casual nights. I assume it is permissable for me to express those views on this forum. In both your (sarcastic) responses, you seem to have interpreted my original post into a version of your own making.

Cruise Junky,

While the OP referred specifically to the specialty restaurants, there were other posts that discussed general compliance with a dress code. I was simply making a general statement about why people should comply with the dress code and was not specifically referring to any one situation.

If I remember correctly from my previous cruises on Celebrity, the policy was that coat and tie was always the minumum standard for the specialty restaurants. I was not aware that it had changed. If so, it ought to be changed back.

Having said all that, my OPINION is that anyone who dines at a specialty restaurant should have enough class and respect for the overall ambience and elegance of the occasion to dress up a bit without having to be told to do so.

Happy Sails to You All:)

OOOEEE:D :D Bob and Phyl

Archived