What a Shame! Casual Dress in Ocean Liners.

jasm8449

I don't have any problem with them changing the policy to allow casual dress on nights designated as casual nights. If people comply with the rules, they have satisfied me.

I'm curious, though, why people make such a big issue of the difference between "acceptable" casual dress and jeans or shorts. I think that casual may as well include jeans or shorts. Of course, I don't advocate wearing them if they are forbidden, but I don't understand the ban. Jeans would be more appropriate as casual garb than a dark suit or trousers and a "sparkly top" would be as formal wear...

Drew, I would never just wear a sparkly top on a formal night, only my Liberachi inspired Sparkly Jacket. ;) :D

Joel

I don't understand why someone would go to a restaurant like Ocean Liners or Olympic and not "Dress" just as you would at an upscale land based restaurant. The cruise lines are going to have to keep SOME dress guidlines because if th

Upscale ($85 - $120pp before wine) land-based restaurants rarely have formal dress codes nowadays.

Even when jackets are requested or even required, it is rare to see a tie anywhere, especially in the evenings. The dress code for the French Laundry in Yountville (Executive Chef Thomas Keller, 19/20 by Gayot and 3 Michelin stars) says jackets required and ties optional. "No Jeans, Shorts or Tennis Shoes please."

This does not mean that diners dress slovenly. They tend to dress quite stylishly at such restaurants, as a matter of fact. They just don't don ties.

Upscale ($85 - $120pp before wine) land-based restaurants rarely have formal dress codes nowadays.

Even when jackets are requested or even required, it is rare to see a tie anywhere, especially in the evenings. The dress code for the French Laundry in Yountville (Executive Chef Thomas Keller, 19/20 by Gayot and 3 Michelin stars) says jackets required and ties optional. "No Jeans, Shorts or Tennis Shoes please."

This does not mean that diners dress slovenly. They tend to dress quite stylishly at such restaurants, as a matter of fact. They just don't don ties.

Who said ties? Who said formal? I said dress as you would for an upscale land based restaurant. The OP talked about Tropical Shirts and such. :confused:

And then of course, there is Celebrity's marketing. Their brochures picture passengers dining, in cocktail or formal attire. The description of the specialty restaurants in their brochures and on their website uses words such as elegance, exquisite and exceptional, and fine dining experience.

So hubby is in jacket/suit and tie, and I'm in cocktail attire. And while most others were similarly dressed (the reservation cards still say jacket required), the folks at the table beside us were in polos and collarless t's, and across from us were Hawaiian shirts, not tucked in, over cargo pants and running shoes.

Of course they were not "breaking the rules". But hey, Celebrity, there was certainly nothing elegant, exquisite, exceptional or fine about it.

And then of course, there is Celebrity's marketing. Their brochures picture passengers dining, in cocktail or formal attire. The description of the specialty restaurants in their brochures and on their website uses words such as elegance, exquisite and exceptional, and fine dining experience.

So hubby is in jacket/suit and tie, and I'm in cocktail attire. And while most others were similarly dressed (the reservation cards still say jacket required), the folks at the table beside us were in polos and collarless t's, and across from us were Hawaiian shirts, not tucked in, over cargo pants and running shoes.

Of course they were not "breaking the rules". But hey, Celebrity, there was certainly nothing elegant, exquisite, exceptional or fine about it.

That's exactly what I was talking about when I said I read the material,read the guidelines and then make my choice based on this,though I sometimes think they are still breaking the rules because most of the time in the daily description it says "Smart Casual" which to me is something a little more than just casual.JMHO>

I have seen this topic many times on this board and also on the RCI board.

I do not like to dress up to go out to dinner at home. Yes there are times that I will wear a suit and tie. However, IMHO, a cruise is very different. My wife and I enjoy dressing up for dinner on a cruise. My wife loves to dress our daughters up for formal night.

My family has cruised RCI in the past several years. The people who do not dress up for dinner, is one, of many reasons we do not want to cruise on that line again.

This is a hot topic. I really feel that if people can pay for a cruise, they can pay to dress as the dress code indicates.

My grandfather used to say "a person can never be overdressed only underdressed." I believe that 100%. A person wearing a nice suit and tie on informal night will look just fine, but a person in jeans or shorts should and hopefully will be turned away.

Just my .02 cents.

I.

A person wearing a nice suit and tie on informal night will look just fine, but a person in jeans or shorts should and hopefully will be turned away.

Just my .02 cents.

It was casual night and they weren't wearing Jeans or shorts!

All I know is that - if given a choice of hearing others say: "She looks like an unmade bed", or "She looks like a knockout" - I'll choose the latter every time.;) I do this out of respect not only for myself but for those whose presence I am dining in - sorry, but I was brought up that way. And it's been passed on to my children as well (with great pride, I might add).

Fang - I agree with your grandfather. My mother (who was in the restaurant industry, BTW) would tell me that "a person can never look too good!":D

All I know is that - if given a choice of hearing others say: "She looks like an unmade bed", or "She looks like a knockout" - I'll choose the latter every time.;) I do this out of respect not only for myself but for those whose presence I am dining in - sorry, but I was brought up that way. And it's been passed on to my children as well (with great pride, I might add).

Fang - I agree with your grandfather. My mother (who was in the restaurant industry, BTW) would tell me that "a person can never look too good!":D

I say get down here and let's go SHOPPING!!!!!:D :D :D

Going back to the original observation by jasm8449, I personally agree. The Speciality Restaurant is such a delightful room I think it's a shame that casual dress is allowed there. The last couple of times I have been there has been "dress of the evening" according to the daily. That Celebrity think differently is an aside as far as I am concerned and I have put on a jacket and tie and felt it was more appropriate. JMHO (and there are many of those on ANY dress code thread;)).

Phil

Well, usualy these threads get shut down by the host because the subject has been discussed adnauseum.

But, I will throw down my 2 cents before that happens.

Not that she would but if Brooke Shields walked into the dining room on formal night with her famous Calvin Klein Jeans on, everybody would want to sit next to her. (Well, at least the guys would).

Another example of who gets a pass: A friend of mine operates a high end hotel. He has a dress code too for certain areas of the hotel. One day he noticed a young lady talking to the concierge. She had ripped and torn jeans on. As he started to approach her he noticed it was a celebrity singer with a large entourage staying at his hotel. He backed off. Hint: It was the former girlfriend of a famous bike rider.

Another example of who gets a pass: A friend of mine operates a high end hotel. He has a dress code too for certain areas of the hotel. One day he noticed a young lady talking to the concierge. She had ripped and torn jeans on. As he started to approach her he noticed it was a celebrity singer with a large entourage staying at his hotel. He backed off. Hint: It was the former girlfriend of a famous bike rider.

Well in the words of another well known singer "That Don't Impress Me Much";)

Phil

I don't get it.

Anyone who has an issue with someone dressing casually in the specialty restaurant on a casual night shouldn't be waving the "finger of shame" at their fellow traveler, but rather taking up the issue with the source, that being Celebrity who established the dress code.

If you have an issue with the quality of lettuce your local grocer carries, do you point fingers at the person in line ahead of you at the checkstand who has a head of that nasty lettuce in his/her basket, or do you take up the matter with the grocer?

Now, don't take that to mean I'm in favor of Celebrity relaxing the dress code in the alternative restaurants, but if someone shows up on casual night dressed casually, who am I to object and think any less of that person?

I don't get it.

Anyone who has an issue with someone dressing casually in the specialty restaurant on a casual night shouldn't be waving the "finger of shame" at their fellow traveler, but rather taking up the issue with the source, that being Celebrity who established the dress code.

I'm not sure which particular posts you were referring to (if any) as you didn't quote one, but as only the OP and myself used the word "shame" I wanted to clarify something. Waving the "finger of shame" as you put it is completely different to a comment that one thinks it is a "shame" about the matching dress codes in the Speciality Restaurant. My comment and that of the OP (and if they will forgive me if I have this understanding wrong) is an observation and opinion that it's a shame, ie pity to see Ocean Liners etc having a casual dress code for those evenings that are casual on the ship. Absolutely no comment about "waving the finger of shame" at fellow passengers for wearing what is required of them according to Celebrity.

Phil

Excitedofharpended....you have it EXACTLY right. Thank you! I did not accuse anyone of breaking dress code rules. Nor did I chastise anyone for wearing casual clothes. I was expressing my feeling that it was a shame that Celebrity has adopted this new dress policy for the specialty restaurants. I then described the type of casual attire that folks were wearing under the new policy during the evening I was there. I wasn't destroyed. My dining experience wasn't ruined. It was just sad to see the affect it had on the elegant atmosphere, in my opinion. I am puzzled as to why some other posters would twist my original post in order to flame me or tell me to 'switch to another cruise line if you don't like it'. This forum is a place to express opinions, views, exchange ideas and information, in an appropriate manner. Posters who create a hostile atmosphere that discourages this type of discourse do a disservice to all participants.

I'm not sure which particular posts you were referring to (if any) as you didn't quote one, but as only the OP and myself used the word "shame" I wanted to clarify something. Waving the "finger of shame" as you put it is completely different to a comment that one thinks it is a "shame" about the matching dress codes in the Speciality Restaurant. My comment and that of the OP (and if they will forgive me if I have this understanding wrong) is an observation and opinion that it's a shame, ie pity to see Ocean Liners etc having a casual dress code for those evenings that are casual on the ship. Absolutely no comment about "waving the finger of shame" at fellow passengers for wearing what is required of them according to Celebrity.

Phil

You are correct I wasn't quoting any particular poster, otherwise I would have quoted them in my direct reply. I was getting a general consensus that various opinions were coming across as "looking down" (not quoting anyone specifically) at those who showed up dressed casually at the alternative restaurant on a night designated as casual throughout the rest of the ship.

Don't read into my support for those showing up casual on a casual night as my liking Celebrity's new dress code policy in the alternative restaurants. We're sailing in a few weeks, and I plan to wear a sport coat in the alternative restaurant on a casual night because I personally feel the ambiance of the venue calls for it. Until I read this thread, I wasn't aware of Celebrity's policy change. So at least now I won't wonder why the dress code isn't being enforced when I see someone stroll in wearing a tropical shirt.

You'll do just fine on Celebrity, they don't have any Ocean Liners, they have Cruise Ships.

Honestly, if what someone is wearing, and you're not talking Jeans and a ripped t-shirt here is really going to bother you, you probably want a much higher end cruise line.

My first reaction was the same But really "higher end lines such as Azamara and Oceania are the people who started the Country Club casual look and open dining, which you either love or hate. We love it and that's why we are so "in love" with the "R" ships, and the casual atmosphere. Very hard to make class distinction on them. They are COMFORTABLE to sail on , yet you're treated like royalty by the crew! I'm looking at Australia/NZ for our next cruise, but on limited budget cannot believe we can afford these lines for this trip! Hope to do the Celeb. Millennium, which has very loyal followers on the Azamara forum!;)

My first reaction was the same But really "higher end lines such as Azamara and Oceania are the people who started the Country Club casual look and open dining' date=' which you either love or hate. We love it and that's why we are so "in love" with the "R" ships, and the casual atmosphere. [/quote']

Regent has been CCC for a good while and so was Renaissance, the predecessor to Oceania and Azamara.

I find the passengers on these lines are very well dressed, up to the "informal" standards of mass market lines.

I, too, find it a shame that even the specialty restaurants cannot hold the line at requiring jackets any longer. :(

"No Jacket Required". Some may remember the Phil Collins titled LP some years ago. The story goes that Phil Collins was refused entry into the famous Pump Room at the Chicago Ambassador East Hotel for not wearing a jacket. (They later apologized).

I've been fortunate enough to have stayed at some the worlds finest hotels, eaten at the finest restaurants around the world, and can count on one hand how many times I've been "required" to wear a jacket and never a tuxedo. (While in Hawaii on a business some years ago I showed up to dinner with shirt and tie and was told to take the tie off. Hang loose.)

The Pump Room in Chicago was the place to see and be seen in its heyday. All the way back to Barrymore, Davis, Sinatra etc. and all other A-listers.

The Pump Room's only dress requirement today? No jeans allowed.

I generaly dress accordingly for formal nights and I respect those that want to capture the so-called golden age of cruising. Having thar air of sophistication and class by dressing up. The cruiselines try to provide an atmosphere for that by having formal nights.

Regent has been CCC for a good while and so was Renaissance, the predecessor to Oceania and Azamara.

Regent might have CCC nights, but it still has formal nights. Oceania is every night CCC. As is Azamara.

What to Pack Back to Top

Attire ranges from country club casual to informal and formal. Country Club casual (resort-style outfits) is appropriate for daytime on board ship or ashore. Evening attire can be Country Club casual, informal or formal. Casual wear includes open neck shirts, slacks and sport outfits. For informal evenings, dresses or pantsuits, coats and ties are suggested. Formal evening-wear is gowns and cocktail dresses, tuxedos, dinner jackets or dark suits.

Archived