? About Changes to Itinary

We are booked on the Liberty of the Seas on 10-11-08. Our original invoice from our TA states:

Departs: Sat

Sun: At Sea

Mon: San Juan

Tues: St Maartin

Weds: At Sea

Thurs: Labadee

Fri: At Sea

Sat: back to Miami

New itinary from RCCL web site is:

Departs Sat

Mon: At Sea

Weds: San Juan

Thurs Labadee

My question is: is this common where they will change the itinary so far out? If so, any ideas why? Can I expect this to happen again? I am asking so many questions because I am considering booking my excursions on our own, and I am concerned that if I book and they change my itinary again, I may loose out. Also, we have not received any notification from our TA or RCCL about the changes.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Debbi

We are booked on the Liberty of the Seas on 10-11-08. Our original invoice from our TA states:

Departs: Sat

Mon: San Juan

Weds: At Sea

Thurs: Labadee

New itinary from RCCL web site is:

Departs Sat

Mon: At Sea

We are on the Jewel transatlantic on March 30th. They changed our itinerary right at the time of final payment (some of us had paid and some not) by dropping 2 of our ports, adding a sea day, and adding a not as nice port (Dover, England). The times also were changed around. No compensation given even though we were told that RCCL knew about this last September. We had already prepaid a hotel and a tour, plus airfare so we really could not cancel, even though they offered to refund (not sure if it would have been whole or partial) the cruise. Last year, on the Celebrity Constellation transatlantic, they CANCELLED the cruise after airfare was purchased. They reinstated it 11 days earlier than it originally was and paid the change fee for our airline tickets, which was nice. The prices were lowered as well and we were able to upgrade to a sky suite for what we had paid for a CC Balcony. This was done relatively early after booking but for several weeks, we had no answers to what they were doing. I think Celebrity handled it much better, though. The ports, I believe, remained the same and it was a good cruise. There are not as many happy campers on the Jewel over this. They reserve the right (their explanation) to change everything with no compensation, so always keep that in mind.

It is not uncommon for a cruiseline to change or, in your case, adjust an itinerary months or more in advance. Better that it happens well in advance than at the last minute.:) It has happened to us several times and we have managed to live with the results. If you are booking independent excursions, you need to check with the companies you are dealing with regarding their cancellation policies. Most companies will offer a total refund if your ship does not arrive in port on schedule. They will sometimes just change your reservation to the new date, since they are usually well aware of any schedule changes. It looks as though they merely switched the order in which you visit San Juan and St. Maarten and that may reflect the amount of time needed to sail from Miami at a comfortable speed. Enjoy your cruise and don't overworry about the details.:)

The previous poster's description of Dover, England as "not as nice a port" as the previously scheduled Falmouth, England is a subjective one. Having visited both on last year's Constellation TA,we were very favorably impressed with what Dover and its environs had to offer, and the fact that the ship doesn't have to tender in Dover, is, for many, a big plus. We felt that our excursion opportunities in Falmouth were far more limited especially given the time available and the possible difficulties with the tendering process there.

Usually this far out it is a logistics thing, with say too many ships in port or other similar issues. Most likely it will not change again but there is no guarantee it won't. Check with the private guides you are using for their refund/change policy before you book with them.

Itinerary changes can happen. Have your TA check as to why, could be something as simple as availability for docking. Once your TA finds out, you should be safe in booking excursions.

For any number of reasons a ship may miss a port so you should find out what the cancelation policy is for whatever you book. I've had a port dropped because of a medical emergency so weather isn't the only concern when booking an excursion on your own.

Itinerary changes are common. Well actually counting the number of cruises every week and the number of changes they might be not that common, but most of my cruises had them, so to me it seems they are common.

I have had them happen month out to as close to docking as being announced about 10 minutes after the scheduled docking time.

And yes I have had the itinerary changed more than once for a cruise.

Often, a TA will not check the web site before selling you a cruise. They just assume it will be the same as the last cruise they booked on that ship.

When you use a TA, you should always double-check everything.

Often, a TA will not check the web site before selling you a cruise. They just assume it will be the same as the last cruise they booked on that ship.

When you use a TA, you should always double-check everything.

No different from what you should do if you book directly with the cruiseline. CSRs are not always up to date on any changes in itinerary or other things. In fact, when our Jewel westbound TA was cancelled last year, guests who booked through a TA were notified of the situation and their options several days before those who booked directly with RCI were contacted.

Thanks to all for your help. I have looked up the E Caribbean route and it appears that for some reason, the order of the ports changes on 9-13-08.

It really does not matter what order we visit, I was just curious as to how often this happens. Seems like this is not an unusual thing.

Thanks!

Debbi

On our 1st cruise, they reversed the order of our ports--we found out when we got our docs (this was when you got a whole "packet" of stuff in the mail!!!!) It really doesn't matter--unless you've booked private excursions!

It is not uncommon for a cruiseline to change or, in your case, adjust an itinerary months or more in advance. Better that it happens well in advance than at the last minute.:) It has happened to us several times and we have managed to live with the results. If you are booking independent excursions, you need to check with the companies you are dealing with regarding their cancellation policies. Most companies will offer a total refund if your ship does not arrive in port on schedule. They will sometimes just change your reservation to the new date, since they are usually well aware of any schedule changes. It looks as though they merely switched the order in which you visit San Juan and St. Maarten and that may reflect the amount of time needed to sail from Miami at a comfortable speed. Enjoy your cruise and don't overworry about the details.:)

The previous poster's description of Dover, England as "not as nice a port" as the previously scheduled Falmouth, England is a subjective one. Having visited both on last year's Constellation TA,we were very favorably impressed with what Dover and its environs had to offer, and the fact that the ship doesn't have to tender in Dover, is, for many, a big plus. We felt that our excursion opportunities in Falmouth were far more limited especially given the time available and the possible difficulties with the tendering process there.

I am not slandering Dover, having been there several times before. Outside of the castle and tunnels, there really isn't too much in Dover, per se. However, having not seen nearby Canterbury, I will look forward to that. We have also experienced the tendering difficulties in Falmouth, I was not too disapointed in that cancellation. Cork, Ireland is another matter.

Archived