Cabin Room Temp--too hot? too cold?

We'll soon set sail on FOS and we have a promenade room. I'm curious how "controlled" the cabin temperatures are. Do rooms tend to get stuffy, and do I need to bother with taking a small fan? The idea for the fan was recommended to me by someone who frequently cruises on another cruise line, but it sounds like a pain to pack a small fan--and what a waste of luggage space! On the other hand, if cabins tend to get stuffy and hot, I'll make the effort. :cool:

We have had a few cruises where the cabin never got cool enough. Although we set the thermostat to the lowest it would go and had crew in twice to work on it, the cabin still never got below the upper 70's. Just too warm for us, especially at night. They finally got us a fan. We also got a plate of 6 chocolates for our inconvenience. :D :D :D

Each instance of 'too warm' cabins was on Holland Am. so we have just stayed away from them. I am sure they do not miss our business.:rolleyes:

My DH is hot-natured, and we sleep wtih the house very cool at night. We've never had a case where we couldn't get it cool enough on a cruise.

As for a fan, we always take a small one. You can get compact fans at Wal-Mart or Target, and they don't take up much room at all, and it really helps with air flow in the cabin, as well as providing some "white noise." Make sure, also, that you bring an extension cord or power strip.

Have fun! We had a great time on Freedom.

We'll soon set sail on FOS and we have a promenade room. I'm curious how "controlled" the cabin temperatures are. Do rooms tend to get stuffy, and do I need to bother with taking a small fan? The idea for the fan was recommended to me by someone who frequently cruises on another cruise line, but it sounds like a pain to pack a small fan--and what a waste of luggage space! On the other hand, if cabins tend to get stuffy and hot, I'll make the effort. :cool:

The occupants of the cabin can control their temperature. If you ask me though, I'll say it is too cold. If you ask my wife, she'll say the temperature is just perfect! :D

We take a travel alarm clock that has a thermometer built in. It is amazing how much warmer the cabin is than you think. I find it hard to sleep at night if it's too hot, especially when you are using that thick comforter. I think the ships are warmer overall now as the ships are trying to save money on fuel.

Had an aft balcony on the Navigator last January and the cabin was the warmest we ever had. Our alarm clock has a built in thermometer and it was often around 78 or 80 degrees in the cabin. I think some areas of the ship are just hard to cool.

I agree, the last 2 cruise in the second half of 2007, the cabins were too warm for me. Then again I am a woman of a certain age and time of life but... I learned and brought a small travel fan on the second one. It was great, not just for the blowing cool air but for the white noise it provides. I will make sure to take it from now on when I cruise, even to Europe this fall. I have heard someone say they were able to request a fan but I am not sure how available they would be.

We have only been on three cruises:

• Carnival Conquest - September 2005
  • Norwegian SUN - January 2007 and
  • Royal Caribbean Voyager of the Seas - January 2008

and we always found that we could control the thermostat in our cabins to our own likings on all 3 ships.

I always take control of the thermostat. Drives my DH insane. :D He'll want it 65 and I'll want it 78... We have fun at home with it as well..

Archived