Northbound or Southbound Cruise

NefertariMalta

My friends and I would like to take cruise next June. Some people told us that a Cruise from Vancouver to Anchorage is better than one that sails from Anchorage to Vancouver. Is it true? Should we considering going leaving from Vancouver instead vice versa? The idea is to stay around 5 days in Vancouver to tour the area and then stay another two or three days in Anchorage and maybe the Denali National Park. Any other suggestions would be welcome. :D

I've done it only one way so far, and that was a northbound cruise followed by 9 days in Alaska afterwards. I liked it so well I'm doing the same thing again in 2008.

Many people prefer to do the long flight to Alaska and the land trip first - then do a southbound cruise. In your case - you'll have long flights from Europe whether you start in Vancouver or Anchorage. I would suggest that you consider spending more days in Alaska - even if it means cutting back on the number of days in Vancouver.

I've done it only one way so far, and that was a northbound cruise followed by 9 days in Alaska afterwards. I liked it so well I'm doing the same thing again in 2008.

Many people prefer to do the long flight to Alaska and the land trip first - then do a southbound cruise. In your case - you'll have long flights from Europe whether you start in Vancouver or Anchorage. I would suggest that you consider spending more days in Alaska - even if it means cutting back on the number of days in Vancouver.

thanks very much for the information. I will let my friends know! :) Esp re your alaska suggestion.

When you were in Alaska did you take a sea plane ride? was it rough by any chance since i suffer from travel sickness and last year in hawaii we took a helicopter ride and i regret it. Do not want to do the same mistake.

thanks

thanks very much for the information. I will let my friends know! :) Esp re your alaska suggestion.

When you were in Alaska did you take a sea plane ride? was it rough by any chance since i suffer from travel sickness and last year in hawaii we took a helicopter ride and i regret it. Do not want to do the same mistake.

thanks

We did two flights: a Misty Fjords float plane in Ketchikan, and another small plane from Chitina to McCarthy (roundtrip) on our Alaska land trip with Wrangell Mountain Air. The flights were pretty smooth, but I took motion sickness pills ahead of time - just in case!

We did two flights: a Misty Fjords float plane in Ketchikan, and another small plane from Chitina to McCarthy (roundtrip) on our Alaska land trip with Wrangell Mountain Air. The flights were pretty smooth, but I took motion sickness pills ahead of time - just in case!

should stock on those then even though in hawaii they did not help much:o Maybe i will try one flight hehehe since two might be a bit too much!

We are checking into extending our stay in Alaska :) the denali park looks out of this world and from other threads it seems best to do it alone and not take any cruise tours.

should stock on those then even though in hawaii they did not help much:o Maybe i will try one flight hehehe since two might be a bit too much!

We are checking into extending our stay in Alaska :) the denali park looks out of this world and from other threads it seems best to do it alone and not take any cruise tours.

We didn't go to Denali on our land trip last year, but we will in 2008. You can either rent a car and drive there yourself (my recommendation) or take the train. Doing a cruisetour would be my last choice, although many people do so.

We didn't go to Denali on our land trip last year, but we will in 2008. You can either rent a car and drive there yourself (my recommendation) or take the train. Doing a cruisetour would be my last choice, although many people do so.

thanks will try and do it our way then .. rent a car or take the train (since we usually drive on the other side of the road hehehe). Will do some research. I find that this site is really good and informative.

I did the cruise South. If i go again I want to cruise N due to the fact more timein Juneau. I really needed a 12 hour day there.

What can one do in Juneau? why did you need a 12 hour day? :D Thanks

by the way what a cute dog that is in the photo!! i just love dogs! :)

the dog was a bsaby that was being raised by musher Jeff King. He is a must see in Denali. His home tour and lessons about dogs is great. He is a wonderful man and rigt noe he is in second place in the race.

Juneau- I did the 7:15 dog sledding on a glaCIER; THEN Mendalhall Glacier abd beer factory tour plus time at a fish factory. when that was all over I had an hour fro a fast stop for beer again and take food back o n the ship. if sail at 8 you can go to the salon first for a drink and hten to Twisted Fish (menu is online) for another beer and dinner. I ate in Skagway-fish and chips-but really was upset no time to eat. even with the Taka Lodge i would want to time to walk around the 2 street town and drink.

I liked denali but my best meal was accross the street for ribs. they pick you up.

What can one do in Juneau? why did you need a 12 hour day? :D Thanks

:)

If you have full day in Juneau you can take the all day Adventure Bound boat trip to Tracy Arm. We are doing this in June. The Tracy Arm cruise is from 8:00 am. to 6:00 pm. If you do a search you can read all about it. It is a highly regarded excursion on these boards. We will still have about 4 hours in Juneau after we return, since our NB Volendam is in Juneau from 7:00 am. to 10:30 p.m. If you are going to College Fjords, I have read about people who were on the SB cruise and totally missed the College Fjords. Coming SB you are there in College Fjords in the early morning, and some people overslept not realizing they were missing a glacier viewing.

Adventure Bound Tracy Arm link:

http://www.adventureboundalaska.com/

I have done both directions several times each. I do like southbound for daylight Inside Vancouver sailing. If Denali Park is a priority, you need to allow more time, at least 3 days, with 5 you can do Kenai fjords too. Can do a 4 day in a pinch- with late overnight flight out of Anchorage and porting in Seward and not Whittier.

However, with your motion sickness history, you would be best to be well prepared for your entire trip. I've seen plenty of sick passengers sailing Alaska, the "smooth as glass" sailing is a complete myth. :)

We have only been on the Northbound and are going again this year. We decided on the Northbound again, because the Hubbard Glacier is the last thing you see before the end of the cruise and we thought if we saw it first then the rest of the cruise couldn't come with the beauty of the glacier.

Have fun!

We also have gone NB twice, so of course, I would recommend that.:)

Vancouver is a great city and 5 days there would be wonderful! We took the trolley tour for a day and it turned out that a few of the stops had microbreweries nearby(if you like beer). See our pics below....

You are going to have an absolutely wonderful trip no matter which way you go!!:D

We did SB in 2005 and we're doing SB again in August this year. We do the land tour first and then the cruising. By the time we get to the ship, I am very happy to unpack for the last time and not have to repack until we get to Vancouver. I don't care for living out of a suitcase.

Archived