Cruise Transfers...Are They Worth The Money?

Hello!
We leave in 3 weeks on a RCCL cruise, which leaves from the Port of Miami. I was just wondering if a cruise transfer is worth the money? Or is it cheaper taking a cab ride? It will be just myself and my husband. We'd be going from Miami International Airport, to the Port of Miami.

Where do you buy these tickets?

Thanks!
-Jennifer

RCCL -
Voyager of the Seas 7/02
Navigator of the Seas 6/03 (Wedding Cruise)
Explorer of the Seas 6/04

From the MIA airport to the Port of Miami will cost you 20 bucks a cab. (plus tip) thats 40 round trip. With the bus you have to wait til the bus fills before it departs.
(which means you will be arriving to the port enmass with all the people on the shuttle.
Time wise--its cheaper to take a cab.

Going NOWHERE
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=000080&cdt=2004;10;22;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]

Miracle, February 13, 2005
Legend, October 22,2004
Voyager August 31,2003
Victory September 22,2002
Regal Empress,June 2001
Sensation,August 2000

Yo-

You did not say how much the transfer was per person-

The legal cabs in Miami have a posted rate in the cab for the trip to downtown and port (around $20) - BUT you have to tell the driver that you want the posted rate before you leave (at least that is what I remember from reading the sign in the cab)

Happy Cruisin'

Mike

Fairsea'86-Mexican Riviera
Stardancer'88-Mexican Riviera
Crown Odyssey'00-E. Med
Dream'01-W. Med
Sky'01-Hawaii
Regal'02-Alaska
Norway'02-E. Carib
Norway'03-E. Carib
Elation'03-Panama Canal
Crown'04-Canada/East Coast
Norway "Royal Suite" 07/04/04-CANCELLED!!
Carnival "Spirit" 12/11/2004 Mexican Riviera
"We have never had a BAD cruise - some were just BETTER than others"

Well, if you ever cruise Alaska and end in Seward, make sure to buy the cruise transfers. There is no cheap way to go. Even if you buy them yourself outside of the cruiseline, it is only a few bucks cheaper.

Summit - Alaska 7/4/03
Infinity - Hawaii 9/26/04

If you have plenty of time between you flight landing and your ship's departure and you are in a place like Miami, then by all means go on your own. But if you are the least concerned about making it to the ship in time, get a transfer. Then they have a record of your transportation, and will not leave without you.

Counting down to the Rhapsody OTS - 12/05/04
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;12;5;18;0;00&timezone=GMT-0600[/img]

We were on the Navigator in April 2004, it was school vacation for Mass. When we arrived in Miami the luggage area was packed because there were people from two ships waiting to claim their luggage and get on a bus. we waited in line for approx. 45 minutes and the line never moved. At that point we decided to take a cab which cost us $25.00 tip included. Well worth the money to get to the ship. On the way home we used the buses provided by RCCL because we had paid for the transfers and we weren't in any hurry. My suggestion would be take a cab.

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=191970&cdt=2004;4;17;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]

That's got me thinking.....
If you have some extra$, you might want to get the transfers AS INSURANCE, and then if you can get a cab with time to spare, do it! THis way you have transportation guaranteed. (I always heard growing up that all the cabs disappear in the rain.)

Counting down to the Rhapsody OTS - 12/05/04
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;12;5;18;0;00&timezone=GMT-0600[/img]

• 1 year later...
We are usually not big fans of cruise transfers, however, on our Alaska cruise we had airplane troubles getting to Seattle , plane was late etc- The ship waited for us as we were on the bus from Seattle to Vancouver-had we been on our own I am sure that the ship would have sailed without us

The biggest advantage to cruise line transfers is you take out a lot of the worry and hassle out of getting to the ship. You get met at the airport by a cruise line rep who often will help you get your luggage to the assembly area. You will have to wait until there are enough people to fill whatever vehicle they are using but it gives you a chance to meet and greet with some people who will be on your ship. You know you and your luggage are going to make the ship and that assurance is worth a couple of extra bucks it might cost in some cases. IMHO.

Have a great next cruise.

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name='PTPD2312']Speaking of transfers, is it better to take the Carnival transfer to Port Canaveral or something on my own? Thanks.[/quote]

Flying into Orlando? I'd say do the transfer.

We,too, just came back to Phila. from JFK. We definitely suggest using a private driver/shuttle/limo service. The hassle of getting around a large airport or seaport and the exorbiant parking charges make the cost seem worthwhile. Check out ALL of the costs involved before you decide that a two hour ride is worth the saving.

[quote name='PTPD2312']Speaking of transfers, is it better to take the Carnival transfer to Port Canaveral or something on my own? Thanks.[/quote]

We are flying into Orlando and renting a car from Budget and dropping it off in Port Canaveral. It is MUCH cheaper than the RCCL transfers. Budget in PC has a shuttle to the ship and a return shuttle to rent the car for the drive back to Orlando too.

It really depends on the port. For Port Canaveral, if you fly in a day early rent a car and drop it at Budget or Avis who both have a shuttle to the port. On the return, you can buy a transfer at the pursur's desk or at the bus for a lot less than renting a car and it will be quicker. We paid $10 each when our limo did not show up! MCO is 50 minutes drive without traffic from Port Canaveral.
Bon Voyage

My answer would be, it depends. Miami or FLL skip the transfers. Alaska purchase the cruise transfers. With a little research from this web site we were able to skip purchasing our transfers from the cruise line for a cruise departing from Southampton and saved quite a bit of money.

The biggest advantages of not going with the cruiseline is less hassle, quicker and generally cheaper. There are certain cases when the cruise transfer make the most sense. A prime example would be Alaska, Port Canaveral might be another example, although we've never sailed from there.

My family is flying in from Seattle to Miami - getting into Miami at about 6:45am. Our cruise leaves from Port Everglades that day. I've been researching renting a car, getting a shuttle, etc. but am curious what everyone thinks about taking the Holland America transfer from Miami. It costs $24/person. I realize I can get a rental car cheaper, but just am not sure saving 20-30 dollars is worth the hassle vs taking the transfer or an airport shuttle. Thanks for all the invaluable info on these boards - I love them!!

Lisa

If other transportation is available for a reasonable or cheaper price, we always take it vs. the CL transfer because it's easier and quicker. When you take the CL bus transfer, you must wait for the entire bus to fill up as well as loading of the carry luggage. Then you arrive as a group and more waiting to get your luggage from the bus belly as well as stand in line with all the bus people at the port. When you take your own transportation, it's simpler and quick. You grab your carrying luggage, hop in line at the port with your group and it's done. I hate crowds and dealing with the bus is too much on top of the cruise terminal crowds. If it's cheap and easy, save yourself the extra hassle and DON'T take the CL bus. If you are a worry wart and want the CL to be responsible for your transportation to the port, then take the bus. Happy Sailing!

We did the Carnival transfer from Orlando to Port Canaveral for our Fantasy cruise and we enjoyed it immensely. The wait wasn't long at all to get on a bus, they took care of the luggage, and the driving (which was great for us) and we got to see the scenery in a part of the country that we had never been to before. Which we wouldn't have been able to if one of us had to drive on an unfamiliar highway. We loved it!!!:p

Our trip ended in Citv. We booked a tour of Roma with Holland America and it took us from the port to the airport. It was very easy. Luggage was loaded and ready for us. The tour included two bathrooms stops and an drive through old Rome. We stayed two days post cruise in Rome at the airport hotel (Hyatt or Hilton) I think. It was great.

I am sure this same tour is available on reverse.

I think it was a great option.

Karin

• 2 weeks later...

Archived