Cathay Pacific to Vancouver

teaach

Has anyone had any experience with Cathay Pacific? I am flying from JFK and cruising out of Vancouver in May to Alaska. I've checked the site recently and everything seems all right, but I am not able to review the seats I picked when I made the reservations in August 2007. Any input on the airline will be appreciated.:)

Has anyone had any experience with Cathay Pacific? I am flying from JFK and cruising out of Vancouver in May to Alaska. I've checked the site recently and everything seems all right, but I am not able to review the seats I picked when I made the reservations in August 2007. Any input on the airline will be appreciated.:)

One of THE BEST airlines in the world. Stellar service, great planes. 747 service and a FANTASTIC price. The plane continues on to Hong Kong. Absolutely THE BEST way to get from the East Coast to Vancouver.

Very very good airline. A friend that flies the route a fair bit reports that the only badside is there appears to be a lot of Hong Kong women traveling to the USA (New York) to have babies, so the children are American. When the kids are 2-3 months, they fly back. He had 26 kids under 6 months on his last flight, and a FA told him there has been as many as forty. Other times there can be zero, you never know.

Has anyone had any experience with Cathay Pacific?
If you have the chance to fly on Cathay Pacific when the only other alternatives are North American airlines, why would you even stop to ask before going?
Also since it continues to Hong Kong, I think it's viewed as an International flight so you get free Booze and Food
It's got nothing to do with whether it's international or not. That sort of standard of service is simply normal for that length of flight. Cathay does the same even on flights which could be regarded as domestic.

It's got nothing to do with whether it's international or not. That sort of standard of service is simply normal for that length of flight. Cathay does the same even on flights which could be regarded as domestic.

Nice! I fly that route a lot but pick AC because of the points. My TA always told me it was because it was an international flight that they did that. Nice to know it's just the way they are.

I fly that route a lot but pick AC because of the points.
Why deprive yourself of a decent travel experience just to pick up a few measly frequent flyer points? The added value in choosing CX far outweighs what the frequent flyer points are worth. And, in any event, you can still get frequent flyer points flying CX, just different ones.

My TA always told me it was because it was an international flight that they did that. Nice to know it's just the way they are.

MOST foreign airlines serve at least a decent snack, no matter the length of flight. NOT those stupid crackers and soda.

Vietnam and Cathay airlines serve FULL meals on flights from Hong Kong to Hanoi and Hanoi to Da Nang. You can also have beer or wine free. Those flights are only 2 hours or less. The plane barely takes off when the meals come out. The plane is descending as they are rounding up the plates and glasses. Quite a few Chinese airlines also serve meals and booze on intra China flights, often 2 hours or less. The FA's REALLY have to hustle to get everyone served.

It is only North American airlines that have discontinued food, blankies, and everything that made flying fun.

It is only North American airlines that have discontinued food, blankies, and everything that made flying fun.
Just to add to the list, try flying British Airways from London to Edinburgh or Glasgow with a departure time before 9 am. The flight is scheduled to be about or just under 1½ hours, although the flying time is of course a bit less than that. You still get a hot breakfast, however little you've paid for your ticket.

Why deprive yourself of a decent travel experience just to pick up a few measly frequent flyer points? The added value in choosing CX far outweighs what the frequent flyer points are worth. And, in any event, you can still get frequent flyer points flying CX, just different ones.

Because those few measly FF points gets me Star Alliance Gold every year and usually two free tickets to Europe :) I also travel a lot within Canada and AC is usually the way to go.

We are flying Cathay For second time in First Class using miles in October coming out of Bangkok through Hong Kong and will be on that flight to Vancouver. It is the finest airline experience we have ever had. They can't do enough for you. The same can be said for Singapore Airlines. We have been in business class to Bali, Hong Kong and Singapore on them. Go for it.

I have a question for those of you with alot of flying experience. We are flying from Rome to Munich on Lufthansa in economy and from Munich to Fort Myers in Relax class on Air Berlin, which has a very generous luggage policy. Lufthansa has a more restictive policy from Rome to Munich. We will be cruising on two different ships for 26 nights during the month of May with formal attire. Does Lufthansa's regional carrier really enforce the baggage issue, when you are connecting to transatlantic flights?

Because those few measly FF points gets me Star Alliance Gold every year and usually two free tickets to Europe :) I also travel a lot within Canada and AC is usually the way to go.
If you do enough between Vancouver and New York alone to get *G, you might be able to get to OW Sapphire flying CX and crediting an appropriate OW account.

But if you need to aggregate your Vancouver-New York flying and your domestic flying to reach *G, then I understand. But it's a real bummer: that's the tyranny of modern alliances if only one of them is represented where you have to do a lot of flying, especially when it's the cr*p one.

Does Lufthansa's regional carrier really enforce the baggage issue, when you are connecting to transatlantic flights?
Are you travelling on one ticket covering both Rome -> Munich and Munich -> Fort Myers? If you are, then you're connecting to an international flight, and if standard IATA rules apply you should be entitled to the trans-Atlantic baggage allowance for the Rome -> Munich flight.

If you are doing this on two separate tickets, then you are doing two separate journeys as far as the airlines are concerned, so from the Lufthansa point of view you are not connecting to a trans-Atlantic flight.

So the strict answer is that your excess baggage on the Rome -> Munich flight is chargeable. But others will have to say whether the charges might be waived in your circumstances.

I agree Cathay Pacific is one of the best carriers I've traveled with, there is only one thing to keep in mind when going from New York to Vancouver. If Cathay were to have a delay or mechanical or other problem and you are delayed, does this airline have any alliances with other airlines to get you to Vancouver, even the best airlines occassionally have problems. I'm presuming Cathay only has 1 flight per day between NYC and Vancouver and they may or may not be 7 days a week. I'm just suggesting is have a backup plan and schedule your flight a couple of days early. Also, find what other carriers will except Cathay tickets in case of a cancellation and if there would be one you could have 400 people trying to make arrangements to get from NYC to Vancouver all at the same time. Ken...

If Cathay were to have a delay or mechanical or other problem and you are delayed, does this airline have any alliances with other airlines to get you to Vancouver ...
Cathay Pacific is a member of oneworld, so American Airlines would be one natural port of call for help. But if an airline has that sort of problem, it will look for space anywhere - and there are many alternative routings to get from Vancouver to New York (or vice versa). It's not like CX is some backwater airline that doesn't have links with anyone else ...

If you do enough between Vancouver and New York alone to get *G, you might be able to get to OW Sapphire flying CX and crediting an appropriate OW account.

But if you need to aggregate your Vancouver-New York flying and your domestic flying to reach *G, then I understand. But it's a real bummer: that's the tyranny of modern alliances if only one of them is represented where you have to do a lot of flying, especially when it's the cr*p one..

Believe it or not, we have no One World representation in Canada. Sucks not to have choices, but to be perfectly honest, Air Canada has been pretty good to us. Last year when we flew to Paris, we were booked in Economy on Points. They called our name at the Gate with a lovely upgrade to First Class. Now if only I can get the same with London in September :)

Believe it or not, we have no One World representation in Canada. Sucks not to have choices, but to be perfectly honest, Air Canada has been pretty good to us. Last year when we flew to Paris, we were booked in Economy on Points. They called our name at the Gate with a lovely upgrade to First Class. Now if only I can get the same with London in September :)

Out of Vancouver having an Alaska FF plan is actually better than a full oneworld one. Alaska will get you points from almost all OneWorld (AA, QF, CX, BA) + a lot of SkyTeam (KL, AF, NW, DL)

Believe it or not, we have no One World representation in Canada.
I know - and I sympathise. Star Alliance: "You don't have to be bankrupt to be a member, but it helps."
Out of Vancouver having an Alaska FF plan is actually better than a full oneworld one. Alaska will get you points from almost all OneWorld (AA, QF, CX, BA) + a lot of SkyTeam (KL, AF, NW, DL)
Unfortunately, though, although that may get you lots of miles to redeem, it's not much good for getting status - which in my book is much more important for the day-to-day business of flying.

Alaska doesn't fly within Canada. We used to take them all the time to Vegas, but now they're not even doing that direct anymore!

Alaska doesn't fly within Canada. We used to take them all the time to Vegas, but now they're not even doing that direct anymore!

Yes, I know Alaska doesn't fly within Canada, BUT if you do a lot of North/South, it's got better connections than anyone out of YVR.

And yes, I miss the evening YVR-LAS (AS684 IIRC). Years ago AS was the only game in town on YVR-LAS flight, now you've got WS, AC, PR & US/HP. But most likely the reason AS pulled out was F5's 3x daily BLI-LAS.

Yes, I know Alaska doesn't fly within Canada, BUT if you do a lot of North/South, it's got better connections than anyone out of YVR.

And yes, I miss the evening YVR-LAS (AS684 IIRC). Years ago AS was the only game in town on YVR-LAS flight, now you've got WS, AC, PR & US/HP. But most likely the reason AS pulled out was F5's 3x daily BLI-LAS.

You know, it used to, they were our preferred airline for vacations to the US, but now I can't even get a direct flight on Alaska to Vegas. It's 2 1/2 hours away. Everyone is dropping direct flights...piffing me off ;) Most of my business travel is within Canada with a few trip to NY and Chicago or Boston every couple of months, I have to stick with AC.

• 3 weeks later...

Cathay is a fantastic airline. We flew with them last year from YVR-JFK, and are taking them again when we go to New York this September.

Nice planes, an actual meal, free blankets, pillows, good entertainment...and almost $600 less than what Air Canada wants for a similar flight on a much smaller aircraft.

Cathay is a fantastic airline. We flew with them last year from YVR-JFK, and are taking them again when we go to New York this September.

Nice planes, an actual meal, free blankets, pillows, good entertainment...and almost $600 less than what Air Canada wants for a similar flight on a much smaller aircraft.

The airline is fantastic, but on that route, doesn't it land in Vancouver at 1:40 am? that I couldn't deal with. At least the Air Canada flight get me home by 11:00 am

The airline is fantastic, but on that route, doesn't it land in Vancouver at 1:40 am? that I couldn't deal with. At least the Air Canada flight get me home by 11:00 am

It does :( We're not that fond of it getting into Vancouver so late, but the difference in price compared to Air Canada, plus the benefit of being on a much larger aircraft (747) outweighed the departure time.

On the plus side, not too many people checking into JFK that late at night, and no wait at all for customs in YVR at 2am!

It does :( We're not that fond of it getting into Vancouver so late, but the difference in price compared to Air Canada, plus the benefit of being on a much larger aircraft (747) outweighed the departure time.

On the plus side, not too many people checking into JFK that late at night, and no wait at all for customs in YVR at 2am!

Enjoy while you can, Cathay Pacific is phasing out the 747 and being replaced with 777's, same as Air Canada. In fact if you go to Seat Guru the Cathay Pacific 777's have narrower seats (17.5") than Air Canada's (18.5") in economy.

But I agree about the price and service on Cathay.

Archived