Beware Back To Back!!!

bjb1957

Just a word of caution for people doing back to back cruises...be sure to let your room steward know that you are doing back to back. On the end of the week when you get off the ship as a "formality" to clear customs, find your room steward and tell him that you are doing back to back. I cruised on Carnival Victory back to back in January 2008 and at the end of the first week we returned to our cabin only to find EVERYTHING had been thrown in the trash. I am going to write a review about it right now. BEWARE and make doubly sure that your steward knows you will be back.

Just a word of caution for people doing back to back cruises...be sure to let your room steward know that you are doing back to back. . . . .

:eek: :eek:

bjb: Sorry to hear you had an unfortunate issue with doing the b2b. Thanks for the "heads up" about the possible situation. I will with definite, absolute, unmistakeable certainty tell my cabin steward about the continued sailing. . . . .

. . . right after he/she delivers my "beverage purchases" on that final evening of the first leg. :D

I checked in with the purser's desk and they had me on a list doing B2Bs. Are you sure everyone knew you were doing the B2B?

I would have been upset too, yikes. yes, next time I guess Ill tell my cabin steward if Im keeping the same cabin.

What if your cabin steward gets redirected to another deck or leaves the ship for another ship?

Well, OK. . . Fred is using his noggin on that one as well. Guess I'll make a sign to leave on the bed and bathroom mirror.

Just a word of caution for people doing back to back cruises...be sure to let your room steward know that you are doing back to back. On the end of the week when you get off the ship as a "formality" to clear customs, find your room steward and tell him that you are doing back to back. I cruised on Carnival Victory back to back in January 2008 and at the end of the first week we returned to our cabin only to find EVERYTHING had been thrown in the trash. I am going to write a review about it right now. BEWARE and make doubly sure that your steward knows you will be back.

Are you blaming the Steward or yourself?

Steve

I have done afew BTBs,I always talk with my

Cabin Steward,,I let them know,way before the

last night.......My last cruise I told Victor to just

leave my cabin alone,not rush getting my cabin cleaned,,Because they are soooo

busy getting all the cabins ready for the new

cruisers coming on.......

So far I have never had any problems......

:eek: :eek:

bjb:

. . . right after he/she delivers my "beverage purchases" on that final evening of the first leg. :D

lol yep people sometimes dont want the ship to figure out they are doing a B2B until after they get their liquor delivered. too true.

To all those that replied to me...I do believe that there is a huge communications gap with Carnival. The steward was told repeatedly (although I am still unsure of his skill with English) that we were staying and as a matter of fact I informed the pursers desk that I was on back to back. The big problem seemed to be when the original room steward got the infection and we did not see him until the early part of week 2.

I did get many of my things back but am still realizing that I am missing items, things like nail clippers that you do not use on a daily basis. Can any woman imagine having her purse thrown away? Of course the things that were purchased in ports along the way are really hard to remember off the top of your head because I didn't even have the pleasure of using them. To me it felt like I had been robbed. Thank goodness my home has never been broken into but I think I had the same feeling as a homeowner who discovers he has been broken into. Anyhow, it is still upsetting to me and I posted it because I really do not want anyone to go through what I went through.

To all those that replied to me...I do believe that there is a huge communications gap with Carnival. The steward was told repeatedly (although I am still unsure of his skill with English) that we were staying and as a matter of fact I informed the pursers desk that I was on back to back. The big problem seemed to be when the original room steward got the infection and we did not see him until the early part of week 2.

I did get many of my things back but am still realizing that I am missing items, things like nail clippers that you do not use on a daily basis. Can any woman imagine having her purse thrown away? Of course the things that were purchased in ports along the way are really hard to remember off the top of your head because I didn't even have the pleasure of using them. To me it felt like I had been robbed. Thank goodness my home has never been broken into but I think I had the same feeling as a homeowner who discovers he has been broken into. Anyhow, it is still upsetting to me and I posted it because I really do not want anyone to go through what I went through.

since everyone sounds like they were informed, Im not sure how we could prevent it if it was just a big mistake on a employee's part. I hope they compensated you somehow. No, Id hate to have it done to me too. Everyone would.

So I am guessing the answer to the clothes question is yes. Didnt the fact that all of your personal belongings were left in the room raise any flags to the steward? Did he really think you left the ship without taking anything? Maybe you fell over board the night before so what the hell just throw everything away and not say anything? :eek:

I'm relatively new to cruising and these forums but have read a lot about b2b cruises. Why do people do them? Is there a cost advantage? Just for fun? Why not do something totally different? Im definitely not judging here, just curious about this trend.... thanks for you input.

Back to back cruising is generally good value for the dollar. Some cruises, Alaska for example, are pretty expensive during high season and generally go one way, usually Seattle to Anchorage. That means I would have to fly into the U.S. (as I live in Ontario) on a one way ticket and then fly from Anchorage to Vancouver after the cruise. Then catch another flight from Vancouver back to Ontario. Mighty expensive. I took the back to back in Miami to escape the Ontario winter and to introduce my in-laws to cruising.

I took B2B on Elation out of Port Canaveral just because I wanted to cruise longer than 5 days. I told my cabin steward the first day when he introduced himself that I was staying on for 10 days. As we haven't heard of this problem before, I think OP must have been the exception, that unhappy screwup...EM

bjb1957,

What a terrible incident. I am so sorry that happened to you. I have never heard of that happening to anyone on B2B cruises. Thanks for sharing the info. I hope the cruise line is responsive to your letter.

To Krmckee--our reasons are different each time for doing back-to-back cruises. Sometimes it is to take different ships with the same cruise line that leaves from a particular port. The last back-to-back we took in Puerto Rico was 2 different cruise lines that had different itineraries. We will be doing a back-to-back beginning in late March on the Miracle which offers different itineraries on each 8-day cruise. The first 8-day cruise goes to the Southern Caribbean and then the second 8-days it goes to the Western Caribbean. Obviously, if you are on the same ship the food and the shows will be repeated the second week. That doesn't bother me. I always find something I enjoy. I also think B2B cruises gives you more time to relax. :)

Our first ever cruise in Sep/Oct is b2b and at the time of booking we didnt know it was b2b......was advertised as a 19 day cruise. Wasnt til we registered with Carnival that we found out was 2 cruises.

But hey we soooo excited lol Thanks for pointing possible probs out. Sorry for your bas experience.

Cheers

Col & Sue

Hi Everyone,

It's Sue here the other half lol.

Thank you for your post and we will be sure to let everone know we are doing a b2b.

I guess this is a big cruise to start with and like Col said we thought it was a 19 day cruise,but one of the main reasons we booked this cruise was it was our dream to go to Alaska one day and we always wanted to go to Hawaii

So our dreams are comming true.

Cheers Sue & Col

Did you have insurance? If so, a letter from the pursers will get you full reimbursement of all missing items.

Oh boy stand by for another ridiculous post of lies. To those reading his post just ignore it. The ship has a list of all people doing b2b's and the room steward knows in advance. Further, anyone with a lick of common sense would tell the steward the first time they see them on the first cruise and remind them again on the last night.

Archived