All Things Freedom of the Seas!

Just did a last minute booking on this ship. What is the best way to go from MCO to the ship? Our TA recommends the RCCL transfer. We come in on Sat. night around 8 PM and will stay at a hotel near the airport for the night. Any hotel recommendations?

All info welcome.

Thanks,

Cheryl

In my opinion, the best way to get from MCO to the hotels near the port is to rent a car. Avis, Budget, Hertz and Thrifty (and I've heard Enterprise - but I cannot confirm that though personal observation) have rental offices in MCO and near the port and will offer a free shuttle from the rental office to the port and back.

The shuttles all charge per person. Thus two people on a shuttle cost more than a rental car.

Does anyone which cabins on Deck 9 are the ones under the Solarium/Whirlpools?

Is it more like 9240/9540 to 9248/9548, or is it more like 9550/9250 to 9560/9260? Anyone know the exact area/range? I've read differing things on CC, so it's not exactly clear to me which cabins are the ones underneath the whirlpools.

Thanks for any info!

1. Disney has self-serve drink stations by the pool and soda is free. I know from reading this thread that FOS does not. Where is the closest place to get drinks and how far is that from the pool area? You'll never have trouble finding drinks on any ship. Take a look at the deck plans (very easy to google). You'll find three bars and the buffet within easy reach of the pools:

At the main pool on deck 11 you'll see the pool bar . . . and if you look one deck up to deck12, you'll see the Sky Bar. In reality, these are very close together, all part of the main area. These do stay very busy.

There's another, quieter bar in the adults-only Solarium bar.

If you walk to the buffet (very close by), you'll see the Plaza Bar front and center; it's barely "in" the buffet at all. A few more steps will take you to one of the drink stations, though you'll not find any self-serve drinks here. The drink station is manned by a server, who sets out the free drinks for you to pick up. The buffet isn't open 24 hours a day.

Actually, there's a fourth option in the main pool area: Johnny Rocket's. It's up one flight of stairs and then a few steps aft, but if you wanted a milkshake, it's really just a few steps.

3. On Disney, you can ship boxes to the port from home and when you arrive at the ship, they are waiting for you in your cabin. Can you do this with RCI also? Can anyone that has done this tell me if the information on the mailing label is different in any way other than obviously the name of the ship will be different? We've never mailed anything to ourselves onboard, but it's easy to mail things to your pre-cruise hotel.

4. I saw a post about getting a ticket to the ice show even though it is free. Do they assign you to a show at random or do you get to choose which show you want to watch? You choose the time, tickets are general admission. It's well worth seeing. If, by chance, you miss it, they show it again and again on your room TV; no, it's not the same as seeing it in person, but it's something.

Quick question about dinners -- is the same menu offered in Windjammer as is served in the formal dining rooms?
You can always ask. For breakfast, they'll often deliver things that don't appear on the menu to your room.
We are sailing 11/8 and staying at Best Western for $89 (a crown member). Many CC writers stay at County Suites or Raddison
I've stayed at the Country Inns & Suites, and it is ideal: Built very recently, excellent location, good service, very good breakfast included in price. The rooms were very small, but that didn't bother us -- we always pack a small suitcase for our hotel stay, and we leave our main suitcases in the car. You won't be disappointed in this hotel.

However, I'm considering the Best Western Cocoa Beach for our upcoming cruise. I need space for six to sleep, and they have a two-room oceanfront suite (2 queens, 1 sofabed) for $161. I have enough credit card rewards points to get $150 in Best Western gift cards, so I'd really only have to pay the tax. Though this hotel's reviews are quite mixed, this sounds pretty good to me; our pre-cruise hotel doesn't have to be anything luxurious. They do allow you to leave your car there, and they provide free shuttle for two people (not a problem -- my husband always drops me, the kids, and the luggage off at the port, then returns the car and rides the shuttle alone/empty-handed). I'd love to hear from someone who's already stayed there!

Just got off Freedom on Sunday. We used CBC Transporation from the Orlando Airport to Port Canaveral(we stayed at the Raddison, which by the way was clean & had decent food and a really nice pool. we did not think it was rundown or dirty contrary to rumours on this board). The driver was very nice and professional and was right on time to pick us up both ways. At the airport they park in some back garage so you avoid all the shuttles and traffic in the front and are able to pull out through a back exit. You also avoid the traffic at the port after disembarkation because they pick you up in a separate area. We used royal taxi service to get from Raddisson to the Port and it was around 4-6 per person (cant remember exactly). We have made the mistake of using a rental car before which resulted in horrendous lines and lost time waiting to get the car, return it before the cruise, get the car again after the cruise and return it once again before getting our flight back home(literally hours and hours waiting). CBC was stress free & gratuity was included prepaid. It is a little pricey but well worth it( also don't have to worry about driving in an unfamiliar place). We got an Escalade SUV but they have many options. It was recommended by someone else on these boards, which is how I found out about it.

Just got off Freedom on Sunday. We used CBC Transporation from the Orlando Airport to Port Canaveral(we stayed at the Raddison, which by the way was clean & had decent food and a really nice pool. we did not think it was rundown or dirty contrary to rumours on this board). The driver was very nice and professional and was right on time to pick us up both ways. At the airport they park in some back garage so you avoid all the shuttles and traffic in the front and are able to pull out through a back exit. You also avoid the traffic at the port after disembarkation because they pick you up in a separate area. We used royal taxi service to get from Raddisson to the Port and it was around 4-6 per person (cant remember exactly). We have made the mistake of using a rental car before which resulted in horrendous lines and lost time waiting to get the car, return it before the cruise, get the car again after the cruise and return it once again before getting our flight back home(literally hours and hours waiting). CBC was stress free & gratuity was included prepaid. It is a little pricey but well worth it( also don't have to worry about driving in an unfamiliar place). We got an Escalade SUV but they have many options. It was recommended by someone else on these boards, which is how I found out about it.

sorry fogot to post the link to the website. http://www.cbctransportation.com/index.php?lnk=ratesquotes

just remember, if you want to get a limo you can only have 4 pieces of luggae. which is why we got an SUV instead because we had 6 pieces.

Hi all,

My son and I are booked on FOS for March 14, 2010. We have been patiently waiting for our excursions to become available for booking. Up until now, the website tells us to wait until closer to the sail date. Well now they are available, but the one we looked forward to the most is not in the list of available excursions for our stop in St. Thomas. We read about the Dolphin Discovery excursion which takes you for the day to Tortola. Disappointed to say the least, that it isn't showing. Anybody here know if it is something that may show up at a later date, or should we start shopping for an alternative? Any input would be appreciated.

859433944_DisneyLandSea100.jpg.81a566a11b515c7a88407a7da0d0dce3.jpg

This is the website for the dolphin discovery that we did in Cozumel (twice) they are wonderful and it appears that they are the same one as in Tortola (it's listed on this site). Maybe you can book it independently (we always did in Cozumel). Do the Royal Swim. It's amazing!

www dot dolphindiscovery dot com/tortola/tortola-location-overview.asp

Edited by lori450

Patty G- I just sent Eastern Compasses & Menus to you. Not sure if I had alredy sent. Someone sent to me several weeks ago & I have been forwarding on since. keep passing.

Also Patty- You commented about not being able to restock in foreign ports.

2 yrs ago we were sailing the NCL Majesty to Western Caribbean. Our last stop was key West. As we got off the ship- 2 beer Distributors pulled up to deliver Bud Lite & Corona. They needed restocking for the last leg of cruise. We were told then that they could not take on stock while in foreign ports. I joked that we had justleft mexico- they should have gotten Coronas while there.

It was early March- Spring break week & 40% of the ship was college students. The majority had a bucket of Bud Lite or Corona in their hand AT ALL TIMES. We were told the next week - 90% of the passengers were college students. We decided then - we would never cruise in March or April.

That was the day we 1st saw the Freedom of the Seas. It had recently started sailing & was docked at key West. Our small majesty looked like a shrimp boat after seeing the BIGGEST SHIP FLOAT.

That day we said if we dream big- next time we would be on the BigBoat. We sail 11/8.

djay

Hi,

Im going on FOS in about 3 weeks and was wondering if u could send me the compasses for the eastern caribbean?? my email is llamafish411@verizon.net.

Thanks

Amanda :)

I have a question for the well cruised. We booked a balcony guarantee on Freedom. We were given an E-1 at the back of the ship. I asked the TA if she couldn't get us one of the cabins closer to the elevators as my friend is physically challenged and has trouble walking. She got us 9392 which is a D-2, but still at the very back of the starboard side. I've only cruised on port side, but I can deal with starboard. However it's no further foward. I see that 7340 an E-2 hump is available, but the TA said they won't change our category. I don't understand what the problem is to go to a smaller E-2 when it is a step down, not up. I'd like to call RCCL myself. Any ideas or suggestions for me?

TIA,

Cheryl

I have a question for the well cruised. We booked a balcony guarantee on Freedom. We were given an E-1 at the back of the ship. I asked the TA if she couldn't get us one of the cabins closer to the elevators as my friend is physically challenged and has trouble walking. She got us 9392 which is a D-2, but still at the very back of the starboard side. I've only cruised on port side, but I can deal with starboard. However it's no further foward. I see that 7340 an E-2 hump is available, but the TA said they won't change our category. I don't understand what the problem is to go to a smaller E-2 when it is a step down, not up. I'd like to call RCCL myself. Any ideas or suggestions for me?

TIA,

Cheryl

Are you able to book one of the accessible cabins? The problem with guarantees is that they guarantee that you will have a certain type of cabin.......not where it is. If you are able to afford it, I would just book one of the accessible cabins, unless there are none available.

counsdr~

Ok, this is must my personal opinion. I've been on the FOS and will be sailing on her again in March. In any event, the ship is BIG! The only difference that I persoanlly noticed was the length compared to the Voyager class ships. It seems like an endless hallway. However, I don't have any walking problems so... I'm ok. Your friend definitely has some walking.

Now, I looked at the floor plan. #9392 is basically all the way back and if your TA can't get you the E2 hump #7340 then I say keep the E1 as the aft back has a breath taking panoramic view and the balconies are deeper. hence... more room.

Your TA really should not have a problem. It's just extra work on his/her part waiting on the phone until the other end can see if in fact the room is still available and then it's paper work/computer button pushing,,,,,etc...

Time is the thing and the commission I think would be less too.

So............ from a TA's point of view is why would they want to do extra work and get less commission? They would rather not but good TA business down the road would be worth it and it's also the right thing to do for their clients if at all possible.

I'd call RCCL and simply ask could my travel agent be able to do this for you if they would call them directly as you can't since you don't control the booking. Only real downfall when you don't do it yourself is the control factor.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for all your answers. We just booked this spur of the moment and there was very little available. No accessible rooms in any cat.

We paid for a guarantee, which was a few dollars less than the lowest cat balcony (E-2). They upped us to a cat D-2 on our guarantee, so by me asking for the E-2, they are not giving us anything more than we paid for in the first place. Unfortunately even in the 1 week we've been booked, the cost has gone up about $100pp, so to change at this late date isn't possible.

It is not an aft balcony or i'd be jumping for joy. It is on the starboard side in the back of the ship. I'm hoping my friend will be able to rent one of those "jazzy" mobiles so she can scoot about and not worry about the walking.

Her TA is adament that she can't do anything more for us. She's done nothing. I've never met a TA that doesn't give some sort of a break or bonus for booking with her rather than RCCL.

Thanks everyone.

Sailing on Oct. 4th our first cruise. Was patiently waiting for the online shore excursions to open when they did the dolphin discovery filled up very quickly. My question are their any other options or maybe something comparable. Wife and daughter were really looking forward to this.

Thanks for any help

The E-2 on the hump is very desirable. A lot of people will book based on being able to get that cabin. Remember, that the decreased cost of the guarantee is the reward for the risk of getting the cabin they choose for you, not your own choice.

Hi, WE booked Dolphin Discovery directly with the location itself 6 years ago and they were awesome. They seem to be a well run facility and we had a fantastic time. We did the one with the nose push, and fin pull etc. It was the highlight of my life and we were over 50 at the time! We bought both the video and the still pictures because it was such an awesome event and not one we are likely to do again, though you never know!

When you book on your own though you have to take a taxi there. There are plenty waiting and it was no problem. I forget how much it was but it wasn't much for the taxi. Good luck, it is one excursion that you will remember forever! MJN

TIA,

Cheryl

If you are picky about cabin location then booking a guarantee was a mistake.