All Things Freedom of the Seas!

I appreciate all the help we had from the Cruise Critic Boards in planning our trip and want to help others. I have put together what I hope is the Holy Grail for the Freedom of the Seas Eastern Caribbean itinerary.

It includes photos, menu's, Compasses, excursion info and more.

You can visit the links at www.robinsons1874.com/cruise

If you have anything I am missing, please send it to me so I can add it.

Steve

Sailing the E. Carribean in May, I really appreciate all the wonderful info! Thank you so....very..... much! :)

#1650 Yesterday, 07:56 PM

Rmunson72906

Cool Cruiser Join Date: Feb 2010

Freedom of the seas questions.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A group of 4 of us(all age 25) will be sailing on the Freedom of the Seas on 5/16/10 Western Caribbean., and I have many questions as I have only been on 1 cruise before and that was with carnival.

We have a JS aft booked-when we cruised on the Carnival Sensation there was a seperate line for people who were in suites to get checked in and board faster than the people who booked lower catagories, Does RCI do this?

How many electrical outlets are in the room, and are power strips allowed? three 110, 1 220, we used a three outlet plug..

Are you allowed to bring your own non-alcoholic beverages onboard? brought a small carry on with soda, case of water, juice. bag weight over 50 pounds no issues. just removed the cruise snacks and refreashments into the closet and loaded it up.

Just how great is it to have an aft balcony? and how much larger is it than a reg. js balcony? No Idea, we had a balcony room on the 9th floor next to the elevators/stairs. loved it and didn't hear any noice from inside the room

Is it better to bring an alarm clock or have wake up calls? didn't bring an alarm clock, just used the automated wake up call system. Our wake-up times was the balcony curtain open and the sunrise. enjoyed the sunrise with a pot of coffee delivered to the room.

Are reservations a must for my time dining, or can you just show up? nope, but preferred.

When is the 1st formal night usually? day two

I know the salon does hair, but do they do makeup onboard? nope

Are gratuities included in the cover charge for portofinos and chops? didn't go.

How late are sorrentos and the promenade cafe open? 3 am.

Is the solarium always open? Do the pools and hot tubs close? 24 hours

What is Quest? game where they break-up the crowd into 8 groups. a scavenger hunt game, for instance, largest pair of shoes, points are awarded. Cruise Director will make you laugh. game is recommended for adults.

How is the nightlife? great time. night club (Crypt was open late)

What's your favorite bar/lounge and why?

I read about a coupon book and a bogo DOD, do you have to go to a seminar or can you just buy them, and how much are they?

In Ocho Rios we are planning to do Dunn's River Falls by ourselves not with the cruise line. However we are doing the chukka dune buggy excursion with RCI at 11:30am. if we do the falls before hand at 9am will we have enough time? How long does it take to climb the falls usually? has anyone ever done the dune buggy tour how was it, any pics?

In cozumel we have no excursions planned, however we were thinking of trying snuba, has anyone done this, opinons and pics? Went to Mr. Sancho's beach. enjoyed the all-inclusive program. search for them on the internet. I went scuba diving for 65 bucks. never did it before. they trained us for about 30 minutes. went down 30 feet. I'm hooked and now going to get my PADI certification. A whole different world under the sea.

What port has the best shopping and how do you barter I always feel bad asking for a lower price any tips?

If anyone has any opinions or tips especially for things i missed please add. We really know nothing about RCI besides we are excited to cruise with them lol!! So we need all the advice we can get. Also anyone who has pictures of the trip on the freedom I'd love to see them or port pictures too.sorrry this was sooo long. Recommend you tip room service that delivers (breakfast, etc)

P.s. I know that with 4 adults in a JS we wont have any privacy and thers only 1 bathroom. That doesn't bother us, none of us are doing anything that the others would mind (except maybe snoring) We just wanted enough room to move, which is why we chose this over a D1.

A group of 4 of us(all age 25) will be sailing on the Freedom of the Seas on 5/16/10 Western Caribbean., and I have many questions as I have only been on 1 cruise before and that was with carnival.

We have a JS aft booked-when we cruised on the Carnival Sensation there was a seperate line for people who were in suites to get checked in and board faster than the people who booked lower catagories, Does RCI do this?

How many electrical outlets are in the room, and are power strips allowed?

Are you allowed to bring your own non-alcoholic beverages onboard?

Just how great is it to have an aft balcony? and how much larger is it than a reg. js balcony?

Is it better to bring an alarm clock or have wake up calls?

Are reservations a must for my time dining, or can you just show up?

When is the 1st formal night usually?

I know the salon does hair, but do they do makeup onboard?

Are gratuities included in the cover charge for portofinos and chops?

How late are sorrentos and the promenade cafe open?

Is the solarium always open? Do the pools and hot tubs close?

What is Quest?

How is the nightlife?

What's your favorite bar/lounge and why?

I read about a coupon book and a bogo DOD, do you have to go to a seminar or can you just buy them, and how much are they?

In Ocho Rios we are planning to do Dunn's River Falls by ourselves not with the cruise line. However we are doing the chukka dune buggy excursion with RCI at 11:30am. if we do the falls before hand at 9am will we have enough time? How long does it take to climb the falls usually? has anyone ever done the dune buggy tour how was it, any pics?

In cozumel we have no excursions planned, however we were thinking of trying snuba, has anyone done this, opinons and pics?

What port has the best shopping and how do you barter I always feel bad asking for a lower price any tips?

If anyone has any opinions or tips especially for things i missed please add. We really know nothing about RCI besides we are excited to cruise with them lol!! So we need all the advice we can get. Also anyone who has pictures of the trip on the freedom I'd love to see them or port pictures too.sorrry this was sooo long.

P.s. I know that with 4 adults in a JS we wont have any privacy and thers only 1 bathroom. That doesn't bother us, none of us are doing anything that the others would mind (except maybe snoring):D We just wanted enough room to move, which is why we chose this over a D1.

Yes, Royal Caribbean has a separate check in line for suite guests.

Usually there is one electrical outlet. However, sometimes the suites have two. Yes, you can bring power strips.

This is an aft facing balconies are deeper.

Typically the first formal night is the second dinner (the dinner after the first full day on the ship).

Yes, the cover charge for Portofino and chops does include the tip.

I did a snuba excursion in Grand Cayman ...

Snuba.jpg

IMGP0841.jpg

As for bartering, start at half the asking price and be prepared to walk away.

I appreciate all the help we had from the Cruise Critic Boards in planning our trip and want to help others. I have put together what I hope is the Holy Grail for the Freedom of the Seas Eastern Caribbean itinerary.

Steve

I noticed Robinsons Hardware right away. We are from Hudson! Small world, isn't it?

We are traveling 4/11 on FOS. Thanks for all the info....I am so psyched!

Sailing in September, and getting lots of great tips and info here!

My questions are as follows:

1. I read that tickets for the Ice Show go very quickly and should be reserved ahead of time. Can this be done prior to sailing? Or if not, how soon once on board?

2. Any other shows need prior reservations?

Thanks to mojomanny for a fantastic link! I printed the excursions, and have been reading the dailies...I am so excited! The closer I get to my cruise, the more excited I am getting! We booked this cruise while on the Monarch LAST YEAR, so I have been waiting quite a while....and counting down to September!

Sailing in September, and getting lots of great tips and info here!

My questions are as follows:

1. I read that tickets for the Ice Show go very quickly and should be reserved ahead of time. Can this be done prior to sailing? Or if not, how soon once on board?

2. Any other shows need prior reservations?

Thanks to mojomanny for a fantastic link! I printed the excursions, and have been reading the dailies...I am so excited! The closer I get to my cruise, the more excited I am getting! We booked this cruise while on the Monarch LAST YEAR, so I have been waiting quite a while....and counting down to September!

Hi! Your Cruise Compass will list the time that ice show tickets are available. Just get in line and get the tickets for the day and time you would like to see the show. Don't let the line discourage you - there are plenty of tickets and the line moves quickly. By the way, tickets are free. If you have concierge access, you can get the tickets there as well. :) Unfortunately, you can not get tickets ahead of time.

No other show needs prior reservations/tickets. :)

Hope this helps! :)

Steve

AWESOME! Now go do a Western Cruise so you can post that info for me! lol.

Is it indeed the case that the Main Seating is now at 5:30 for both Eastern and Western Itineraries? I preferred 6:00, but can see some advantage too. Any rants/raves about the change?

We just got off FOS yesterday and Main seating for dinner was 6:00.

This will be my 1st RCCL cruise....(I'm a big Princess fan). I have have a selfish questions: Can I get extra servings at meals? Princess will all the lobster tails you ask (within reason) and more than one appetizer or dessert. Is this same on RCCL?:o

This will be my 1st RCCL cruise....(I'm a big Princess fan). I have have a selfish questions: Can I get extra servings at meals? Princess will all the lobster tails you ask (within reason) and more than one appetizer or dessert. Is this same on RCCL?

When are you sailing? My family and I will be on May 30 FOS sailing. I ask because of your username. Hoping there won't be TOO many Aubbies on board...(JK)

ROLL TIDE!

BTW, the Eagle in my username is not a War Eagle.

[quote=crusinmama06;13846611]Hey all! I had to chime in since Freedom is my absolute favorite ship (well so far)

Here is a link to the Freedom Gallery

http://www.freedomoftheseasmedia.com/gallery.php

Here is the link to the Freedom interactive website

www.freedomoftheseas.com

I have all kinds of pics from Freedom. We stayed in GS 1298 if anyone needs pics of that.

IMG_0862.jpg

IMG_0863-1.jpg

IMG_0724.jpg

IMG_0750.jpg

Michele,

Thanks for the great links and awesome pics. We are SO excited about our trip. This will be our first "Family Cruise." Our group consists of: myself, wife, son & finace (23 yrs old), 2 sons that are 20, and 17 yr old daughter. We got 3 cabins. Last summer we went to an Iberostar all inclusive in Playa del Carmen, and there was no one anywhere near my daughter's age. She is praying that there are kids in their late teens on this ship, so she doesn't have to hang out with her "boring" parents:D.

Greg

IMG_0757.jpg

- We're in cabin 7612. Anyone stay there previously? It doesn't say it has an obstructed view so I am hoping it's a regular balcony cabin.

Yes, we have stayed in 7612...and there are no obstructions. The stateroom is very comfortable with tons of storage space...some of which we didnt even discover until we were about finished with our cruise! :)

The stateroom is very comfortable with tons of storage space...some of which we didnt even discover until we were about finished with our cruise! :)

Same thing happened to me. Turns out the cabin had a second bedroom and when I looked inside, there were two kids left over from the prior cruise ...

2ndbedrm-MS.jpg

After more looking around we found some more kids - that had all been blindfolded ...

1scgc-Sittingroom.jpg

Made for an interesting cruise. :)

- We're in cabin 7612. Anyone stay there previously? It doesn't say it has an obstructed view so I am hoping it's a regular balcony cabin.

Yes, we have stayed in 7612...and there are no obstructions. The stateroom is very comfortable with tons of storage space...some of which we didnt even discover until we were about finished with our cruise! :)

Thank you! We are really looking forward to this cruise!

Did anyone do any Island tours on St. Thomas and on St. Maarten? There are SO many excurisons offered by RCL, it's over whelming:eek:

I was looking at a private tour by Bernard's Tours and St. Maarten. Any opinions? We are a family of 7, kids 17-23.

Greg

Greg we booked a private tour today for St Maarten with Joyce Prince. I am so thrilled to have our own tour guide with only our family :) How cool is that? We are going to snorkel/swim and see the island in St Thomas but in St Maarten only tour and SHOP :)

Last time we were in St Thomas we used Godfrey tours he is AWESOME! The bad part of us arriving at 11 is it cuts down on the shopping time of his tour. Maybe he could reverse it if you want. His tours include seeing the island and swimming at Cocki Beach home of Coral World I read :) We want to go there also. Never saw it before.

Good luck in finding excursions....

Did anyone do any Island tours on St. Thomas and on St. Maarten? There are SO many excurisons offered by RCL, it's over whelming:eek:

I was looking at a private tour by Bernard's Tours and St. Maarten. Any opinions? We are a family of 7, kids 17-23.

Greg

We just returned yesterday from our cruise on FOS. While in St Thomas our group of 7 college kids did Sunny Liston's tour and loved it! They went to Sapphire Beach and thought it was beautiful. Sunny was waiting at the dock when we arrived at 11 and they shopped in Charlotte Amalie for an hour before sightseeing and a couple of hours at the beach. They returned and shopped at Havensight Mall (right at the pier) before we sailed.

Greg

Just returned from St. Maarten and did Bernards, and would highly recommend him. We had a great time with him and everywhere he took us. An outstanding tour especially for the price we paid.