Email on ship

R&R sail again

We are leaving tomorrow for Florida and sailing on the Volendam this weekend. Because of circumstances at home I am thinking of getting some computer minutes for email. I have AOL. Would I be able to access this from the computers on the ship and what would be the least amount of minutes I could buy. Appreciate any help with this. I am not too computer literate. Thank you.

PS hope I don't have a double post. This is my second try.:)

We are leaving tomorrow for Florida and sailing on the Volendam this weekend. Because of circumstances at home I am thinking of getting some computer minutes for email. I have AOL. Would I be able to access this from the computers on the ship and what would be the least amount of minutes I could buy. Appreciate any help with this. I am not too computer literate. Thank you.

PS hope I don't have a double post. This is my second try.:)

Yes, you will be able to access your email from any of the computers aboard the Volendam. There are various packages available, not sure specifically but, it shouldn't break the bank. ;)

Jonathan

I recently needed to have e-mail available on a Maasdam cruise.

$.75 per minute

$55.00 for 100 minutes

$100.00 for 250 minutes

I had my own laptop which I was able to use in my cabin. I was able to compose off line and download when I went on line. This meant my actual time on the internet was minimal. I don't know if you can do this if you're using the ship's computers.

I had my own laptop which I was able to use in my cabin. I was able to compose off line and download when I went on line. This meant my actual time on the internet was minimal. I don't know if you can do this if you're using the ship's computers.

You can't. Unless you're on the HAL or New York Times websites, all use of the ship's computers is on the clock.

You can't. Unless you're on the HAL or New York Times websites, all use of the ship's computers is on the clock.

Maybe that's why I've never used a HAL computer. I guess this is one area where Celebrity outshines HAL... While on Celebrity ships, I can use any available program on their PC to compose/save documents, etc. without charge. I always download/store my digital camera jpg files there also as a convenient way to review my pictures on screen. You can later burn them to a CD (for a fee) at their computer lab as all the ship's PC's are networked. The only time they charge for computer use is to (A)Use the internet, or (B)to send an e-mail through the ship's e-mail system which is only $1-$2 flat charge each.

Not all cruise lines can be all things to all people.

There are loads here who will say they don't go near a computer when they are on vacation.

We can all pick and choose those features that matter the most to us from each line and book the ships that give us the most of what each of us personally values the most.

For me......I'll take HAL and pay $55 or $100 for my computer package any day as HAL gives so much the product we want that other lines do not approach IN MY OPINION only. Obviously, your mileage may vary. :D

$.75 per minute

$55.00 for 100 minutes

$100.00 for 250 minutes

Spender is exactly correct, this is the way to do it to get the most bang for the buck....compose, add photos, save, walk to library, wireless sign on, then Send........

Spender is exactly correct, this is the way to do it to get the most bang for the buck....compose, add photos, save, walk to library, wireless sign on, then Send........

I didn't use the ship's computers at all. The internet and mail worked from my cabin.

Not all cruise lines can be all things to all people....

I agree with that.... Note below my signature, we like to sail both HAL & Celebrity. I was just expressing my surprise at learning of the big difference in using e-mail (thread topic) or other computer services on the 2 lines. I don't expect the cost of e-mail or computer access to be a big factor in making decisions on future cruises for me or many other folks but think some might find it of interest.:)

Not all cruise lines can be all things to all people.

We can all pick and choose those features that matter the most to us from each line and book the ships that give us the most of what each of us personally values the most.

Precisely. I know for me (as a solo) it would cost a great deal more on the single supplement over the cost on HAL. There would be no net savings from computer costs.

Between HAL's reasonable single supplement, and the style of cruise HAL offers, there's no contest (as things stand now, anyway).

$.75 per minute

$55.00 for 100 minutes

$100.00 for 250 minutes

Are you able to monitor/track how many minutes you have used during the cruise? If you exceed your package will they charge you per minute, cut you off or give you the offer to purchase another package? THANKS!

Are you able to monitor/track how many minutes you have used during the cruise? If you exceed your package will they charge you per minute, cut you off or give you the offer to purchase another package? THANKS!

When you log off you will get a summary page which includes how much time you used during that session and how much time you have left (among other things).

Long before you run out of time you will be offered the opportunuty to purchase another package, or go directly to the internet. (I can't remember if that starts right off at the beginning of the package or comes later on.)

This last time on the Rotterdam (Jan-Feb '08) there was a notice on the screen that if you exhaust your package during the session the additional minutes will be charged at the package rate.

I always print out a copy of 'sesssion record' when I log off. It tells how many minutes used/left.

I have had both things happen.....being offered a chance to buy more minutes as my package was running out and I have been chopped off right in the middle of writing an e-mail. No notice and no idea I had -0- minutes left. That one got me a trite upset. I think they changed that poor system to at least offer notice.

I used my laptop in my cabin. Connectivity was fine. Having your own laptop is a big plus. I saw some people with laptops in the library. I don't know if they were unable to get on line in their cabins.

Initially a $3.50 registration fee is charged. Then a plan is chosen. If a plan consisting of a number of minutes is purchased, you will be billed at the per minute rate should you exceed the amount of minutes purchased.

Every time you log on or off you are told how many minutes you used and how many are remaining.

This was on the Maasdam very recently. I don't know if it's the same on all ships.

Hope this helps.

Archived