please suggest tours/tour companies in Rome

We are going into Rome 3 days b4 our cruise in August and want to set up/book 2 days of tours.

Prefer fun imaginative or off beat tours as well as traditional ones.

We would like the names of tour companies ccs have used and been happy with.

THANKS!

Hi- I think you will be pleased with Rome in limo. They will arrange all the details for you-Jany is the lady to speak with. She arranged for us to have Duman and Sarah as our driver and guide and we could not have been more impressed. We had a delightful day with them and would not hesitate to use them on a return trip.

Best of luck to you-I'm envious-we only had a day in Rome!!! Enjoy your stay! Shelly:)

Hi- I think you will be pleased with Rome in limo. They will arrange all the details for you-Jany is the lady to speak with. She arranged for us to have Duman and Sarah as our driver and guide and we could not have been more impressed. We had a delightful day with them and would not hesitate to use them on a return trip.

Best of luck to you-I'm envious-we only had a day in Rome!!! Enjoy your stay! Shelly:)

I agree with Bellagirl- Rome in Limo is who you should get in contact with. Take advantage of all your days in Rome. We were for a little over a day but I wish I would have stayed longer. The beauty of Rome is incredible. Duman took us to the top of a hill that you could see the entire city and it was breath taking!

Through Eternity has great walking tours. Their guides are quirky, American/British/Irish and they always toss in a little extra something. We did the Colesseum/Roman Forum tour and a wine tasting tour in the evening with them.

Very reasonably priced and will arrange special tours for large groups. They have a huge range of tours on their excellent website. You won't be disappointed.

If you are staying in Rome precruise for a few days you can actually "see" the sites by getting around on your own. Either by metro, bus or taxi. Everything is fairly close in a compact area. Then you can book private guides to TOUR the sites.

Let me clarify. You can book drivers to drive you around to the sites. But for a TOUR you must have LICENSED guides of such places as the Vatican or the Coliseum. Sometimes the drivers are just that - someone who will drive you around but are not licensed tour guides. Alot of people swear by doing it "on your own" with a guidebook etc.... but there is soooo much to see and take in I do not agree.

For some of the sites outside the main city area..... a driver is a good thing.

That said......try www.angeltoursrome.com

We used them for a PRIVATE TOUR for a whole day - beginning with the Vatican museums, the Sistine Chapel and St. Peters. Then we took our private guide to lunch (at a neat little pizzeria she suggested) and on to the Coliseum/Forum/Palantine Hill. Just her, my husband and me. We learned and enjoyed this so much..... Our guide was Eileen and I can highly recommend her. We met her at the Vatican and used taxis to get from there to the Coliseum area..... not expensive and quick and easy.

Hope this helps :D

Here is another endorsement for Angel Tours--great! They use Irish graduate students who manage to offer interesting or humorous anecdotes to their presentations. We used them for 3 separate walking tours: Vatican/St. Peters; Colosseum and the Forum; Rome By Night. They also give a free early evening tour of the Pantheon each night. Back in 2006 they charged only 25 Euros per person and they try to limit the size of their groups. Hope this helps! Enjoy Rome!

Thanks to you wonderful CCers, I learn so much!!!

Question: Which tour companies actually get you tickets and first in line into the historic sites, galleries, etc. so you need not wait in long, hot lines once you arrive at the site? I am hoping to find a private tour service (for 8) when our ship docks in Florence, Rome, and Naples this August who will handle everything, so I am looking to you all for help. :cool:.... Help... Help....

bzv143 - Fabrizio from allarounditly.net will get your tickets in advance and avoid long lines. The other great thing about him is that he works in Rome, Florence and Naples. If you book all three cities I'm sure that he gives a better price. His Mercedes van will very comfortably seat 8 people.

Thanks to you wonderful CCers, I learn so much!!!

Question: Which tour companies actually get you tickets and first in line into the historic sites, galleries, etc. so you need not wait in long, hot lines once you arrive at the site? I am hoping to find a private tour service (for 8) when our ship docks in Florence, Rome, and Naples this August who will handle everything, so I am looking to you all for help. :cool:.... Help... Help....

We did not have to wait in any lines at all when we used romeinlimo. Sarah had our tickets for St. Peter's Basilica and we quickly purchased our tickets for the Colosseum at another area that was not crowded at all. It was very easy.

bvz143 I agree with bella girl, you cannot go wrong with RomeinLimo. I used this excellent company in 2006 and I am returning to Rome in JUne and have booked them again. They are very knowledgeable, speak excellent English and you see and learn so much its amazing. I highly recommend this company.:)

Archived