Ruling on Passenger Vessel Service Act is Near

Coco Creek

Returning to the U.S.A. via Endsenada is nothing short of a nightmare. I thank goodness that my last sailing to Hawaii(Infinity) was in & out of San Diego. It is sad that 1 cruise line with the backing of a Hawaiian senator has upset the cruise industry with their stupidity. Now that NCL only has 1 ship left which has cut down on monies spent in Hawaiian ports it makes me wonder how many more cruise lines will follow suit? In the end this could hurt Hawaii with a loss of substantial amount of tourists dollars.

Returning to the U.S.A. via Endsenada is nothing short of a nightmare. I thank goodness that my last sailing to Hawaii(Infinity) was in & out of San Diego. It is sad that 1 cruise line with the backing of a Hawaiian senator has upset the cruise industry with their stupidity. Now that NCL only has 1 ship left which has cut down on monies spent in Hawaiian ports it makes me wonder how many more cruise lines will follow suit? In the end this could hurt Hawaii with a loss of substantial amount of tourists dollars.

One possible solution for the Ensenada embarkation (or disembarkation) is what we did on a ten day SD to Honolulu. We arrived at SD, checked in, our bags were loaded on the ship, and the ship departed. We were all loaded on buses and taken to Ensenada where we boarded the ship. In essence we sailed Ensenada to Honolulu. But the nice part was we did not have to get to Ensenada with our luggage on our own.

Also... the bus transfer was included in the cruise (no extra charge).

So a cruise line could do the same thing for a RT by making one leg start or terminate in Ensenada with the ship deheading to or from SD.

The language is being drafted, with the approval of Senator Inoye, so the rule will only apply to the Hawaii market.

The problem with most special interest legislation is that the "Law of Unintended Consequences" frequently comes into play and unless the proposed rule is very carefully drafted it may be difficult to limit its application to Hawaii alone. The "48 hour" provision is ludicrous on its very face and I would think might be subject to legal challenges by any and all the cruiselines that would be affected. Placing Senator Inouye in charge of drafting or approving the language is not in the least bit reassuring to me. He, after all, seems to have been the moving force behind this foolishness in the first place.:( At the rate things are going, he may find that by the time his protectionist policy is put into place, there will be no NCLA ships to protect. Apollo does not seem to look on the Hawaii operation with much favor as things stand, and it shouldn't be too surprising to anyone if they finally demand that NCL pull the plug on this entire operation.:rolleyes:

Apollo does not seem to look on the Hawaii operation with much favor as things stand, and it shouldn't be too surprising to anyone if they finally demand that NCL pull the plug on this entire operation.:rolleyes:

Good afternoon,

:( That has been my tought all along. Apollo somehow didnot quite have THAT scenario in mind when sinking ( no pun intended....! ) lots of $$$$$ into NCL. I am 100% positive their top guns are looking at this whole marasm and wonder ''what the h*** did we get in to here'' ??.

We may indeed find that the monster created by this whole cry-baby whining and the subsequent revision in the PVSA unfortunately has legs, will run amock....but not for very long as it wll have no room left ( == No NCLA ) to run in.....and the industry will revert back to ''normal'' with hopefully only minor damages.

Cheers

;)

I'm glad we did our RT cruise to Hawaii already from LA--it was all very smooth! The Rt aspect did eat up many days at sea but that's how we wanted to do it...woul not be interested in Ensenada & think that's really an unfair reg they are proposing--Would not fly to Hawaii to take that line as it had consistently gotten very bad reviews...

Archived