Strange Happening In Key West And Stingray

LADYBUG34113

This just happened and was posted in our paper. I know our excursion in the Bahama's, the stingrays will not have their barbs.

Just be careful and do the shuffle in the water.

http://www.naplesnews.com/news/2008/mar/20/stingray-kills-sunbathing-woman-florida-keys/

The story on CNN said that she died from hitting her head on the deck of the boat after the stingray knocked her over. I don't think she was stung, but I guess they don't really know for sure yet.

Oh now I really want to go on the Stingray excursion my kids and husband want to do on Grand Cayman.....thanks guys! :eek:

This is not the same as the excursions. I know the excursion we are going on in Nassau, the stingrays have no barbs. This was out in the open water and it just happened. It actually jumped out of the water and landed on her.

Oh now I really want to go on the Stingray excursion my kids and husband want to do on Grand Cayman.....thanks guys! :eek:

We have been at least 45 times and will be there again in Sept...I think your chances are better of getting struck by lightening AND winning lotto on the same day than getting stung by a stingray.

I can only WISH that more people were scared off...it is sooo darn crowded at StingRay Alley in the GC any more!

Early last summer we were laying out on the beach in the panhandle of Florida. My girlfriend told me she saw a stingray jump out of the water...

I thought it was time to take her alcohol away... But a few minutes later it jumped out of the water again..

I never knew they could do that...

As far as Grand Cayman and stingray excursions... Captain Marvin's is the best.. We went two years ago and had a blast.. Not sure if Captain Marvin is still alive, but he was the captain of our boat.. He had to be at least 80 years old.. He drove his boat like it was a Buick(slow).. But it was one of the highlights of our cruise.

Cassidy

We have been at least 45 times and will be there again in Sept...I think your chances are better of getting struck by lightening AND winning lotto on the same day than getting stung by a stingray.

I can only WISH that more people were scared off...it is sooo darn crowded at StingRay Alley in the GC any more!

When I went on this excursion, it was worse than the mall at Christmas time. Way to crowded! But I didn't get off the boat so I was just fine, no crowds at all.

What's the sringray shuffle?

Well, first... You put your left foot in. You take your left foot out. You put your left foot in, then you shake it all ab..... oh, wait. Nevermind. That's the hokey pokey! I guess I have no idea.:D

This is not the same as the excursions. I know the excursion we are going on in Nassau, the stingrays have no barbs. This was out in the open water and it just happened. It actually jumped out of the water and landed on her.

Once back in the 70's a ray did the same thing to boater in the Gulf it crashed thru the windshield and killed him.My daughter was barbed in the leg when she was 10 and I had to dig it out as it had broken off,applied a baking soda paste and meat tenderizer followed by anti-biotic. It's the algae that grows on their barbs that stings so bad.Have the Nassau rays barbs been removed?

Early last summer we were laying out on the beach in the panhandle of Florida. My girlfriend told me she saw a stingray jump out of the water...

I thought it was time to take her alcohol away... But a few minutes later it jumped out of the water again..

As far as Grand Cayman and stingray excursions... Captain Marvin's is the best.. We went two years ago and had a blast.. Not sure if Captain Marvin is still alive, but he was the captain of our boat.. He had to be at least 80 years old.. He drove his boat like it was a Buick(slow).. But it was one of the highlights of our cruise.

Cassidy

We ALWAYS go with Capt Marvin...he is almost 92 yrs old and still driving the boats as of this past summer. We have been with them so many times they always put us with him or his son as the Capt. SO much better than those 800 people per boat types of tours!

I dont think you folks are understanding what happened here, cause i didnt till i heard the radio news report.

Boat was cruising along at 25-30 mph. String ray jumps out of water strikes the women in the face. The blunt trama of being hit by anything in the face when cruising along at 30 miles a hour would likely kill you. It just happen to be the ray was the object that stuck her.

Very sad.

This just happened and was posted in our paper. I know our excursion in the Bahama's, the stingrays will not have their barbs.

Just be careful and do the shuffle in the water.

http://www.naplesnews.com/news/2008/mar/20/stingray-kills-sunbathing-woman-florida-keys/

I am from Michigan and it was one of the lead stories this evening. It was reported the barb did not hit her. She died from head trauma, believed to have occured when her head struck the boat.

Cassidy

Maybe he drove the boat slow because he knows that rays have a habit of jumping out of the water. It's embarassing to have one of your tour people killed!:p

Archived