Tarquinia, How to get there?

cruise4usnow

From Civitavacchia to Tarquinia: see here:

http://www.cotralspa.it/PDF_Orari_Comune/Tarquinia.pdf

Tarquinia: Barriera S. Giusto

Civitavecchia: Piazza Vittorio

Feriale: Weekdays

Festivo: Sundays and Holidays

So you see: weekdays there is a more or less frequent service.

Sundays only two services!!!

From Tarquinia to Necropols:

http://www.comune.tarquinia.vt.it/pagina116_orari-mezzi-di-trasporto-pubblici.html

But the actual one is not published yet...

The last one valid until: September 10, 2010:

http://www.comune.tarquinia.vt.it/moduli/output_immagine.php?id=577

7 departures on Weekdays

2 departures on Sundays

So ignore the twice a day as this is limited only to Sundays.

But even the 7 departures is only during "rush-hour" 3 morning / 4 afternoon.

Regards

HeinBloed

Thank you for the info. I tried to read the schedule and really couldn't understand it. Now I know to look for Giusto and Vittoria. (edit: just looked at schedule again. Still don't understand it. Would you mind telling me the am times we can take the bus to Tarquinia and the pm times we could return? Thanks so much.

Do you think we can walk from the centre of Tarquinia to the Necropolis?

We will be there on a Saturday. I guess that is considered a weekday.

I hope the new schedule is published soon because we will be there in October

time from the port of Civitavecchia to Tarquinia

Origin: Civitavecchia, Porta Tarquinia [stop]

Travel preference: The quickest routes

Destination: Tarquinia [Locality]

Walking speed: Average (4 km/hr)

Departing: After 7:55, Sat 25 September 2010

Max walking time - up to: 15 min

Your Options

Earlier Later

OptionDepartArriveDurationChangesMapView

Sat, 7:50

Sat, 8:15

00:25

BusIcon30px.gif

PDF Map

Interactive Map

Details

Sat, 9:05

Sat, 9:30

BusIcon30px.gif

PDF Map

Interactive Map

Details

Sat, 9:20

Sat, 9:45

BusIcon30px.gif

PDF Map

Interactive Map

Details

Sat, 10:05

Sat, 10:30

BusIcon30px.gif

PDF Map

Interactive Map

Details

Modify Reset

Return Journey Onward Journey

Origin: Tarquinia [Locality]

Destination: Civitavecchia, Porta Tarquinia [stop]

Departing: After 10:00, Sat 25 September 2010

Your Options

Earlier Later

Sat, 9:50

Sat, 10:14

00:24

BusIcon30px.gif

PDF Map

Interactive Map

Details

Sat, 10:50

Sat, 11:09

00:19

BusIcon30px.gif

PDF Map

Interactive Map

Details

Sat, 11:30

Sat, 11:54

BusIcon30px.gif

PDF Map

Interactive Map

Details

Sat, 13:35

Sat, 13:59

BusIcon30px.gif

PDF Map

Interactive Map

Details

Modify Reset

time from the port of Civitavecchia to Tarquinia

Origin: Civitavecchia, Porta Tarquinia [stop]

Destination: Tarquinia [Locality]

Departing: After 7:55, Sat 25 September 2010

Your Options

Earlier Later

Sat, 7:50

Sat, 8:15

BusIcon30px.gif

PDF Map

Interactive Map

Details

Sat, 9:05

Sat, 9:30

BusIcon30px.gif

PDF Map

Interactive Map

Details

Sat, 9:20

Sat, 9:45

BusIcon30px.gif

PDF Map

Interactive Map

Details

Sat, 10:05

Sat, 10:30

BusIcon30px.gif

PDF Map

Interactive Map

Details

Modify Reset

Thank you , Missus Makkem,

So, outbound, there seems to be busses leaving at7:50, arriving at8:15

9:05, arriving at 9:30

9:20, arriving at:9:45 and

10:05, arriving at 10:30

Right?

This is fabulous. I cannot thank you enough. Where did you find this?

Thank you for the info. I tried to read the schedule and really couldn't understand it. Now I know to look for Giusto and Vittoria. (edit: just looked at schedule again. Still don't understand it. Would you mind telling me the am times we can take the bus to Tarquinia and the pm times we could return? Thanks so much.

Do you think we can walk from the centre of Tarquinia to the Necropolis?

We will be there on a Saturday. I guess that is considered a weekday.

I hope the new schedule is published soon because we will be there in October

http://www.cotralspa.it/PDF_Orari_Comune/Tarquinia.pdf

Page 2 = From Tarquinia Barriera S. Guisto to Civitavecchia p.zza Vittorio

blue times = for weekdays

Page 9 = From Civitavecchia p.zza Vittorio to Tarquinia Barriera S. Guisto

blue times = fro weekdays

I prefer to make a print-out so in case I need alternatives I have the complete schedule.

http://www.comune.tarquinia.vt.it/moduli/output_immagine.php?id=577

Page 2 = Linea D on weekdays

upper part: from Tarquinia to Necropolis

lower part: from Necropolis to Tarquinia

I am sure that you can walk... It's only a transit time of 5 minutes...

If you see the map you see that it's outside of the map of the city center.

http://www.tarquiniaturismo.it/wp-content/themes/theme1051/images/centro.pdf

When I checked on google maps it looked for me too far away so I decided to rent a car to be flexible to see something else on the countryside and so we might also see the corresponding site in Cerveteri.

http://www.tarquiniaturismo.it/?tag=necropoli&lang=en

http://www.sitiunesco.it/index.phtml?id=746

Regards

HeinBloed

Thank you ' date=' Missus Makkem,

Right?

This is fabulous. I cannot thank you enough. Where did you find this?[/quote']

Maybe you overread it:

Porta Tarquinia is not the next bus stop to the port entrance for the shuttle to the cruise terminal. You need to walk about 10-15 minutes from here and then you reach a side entrance close to the ferry terminal building it's another 5-10 minutes to the port shuttle for the cruise ships.

So better you check for the schedule at Piazzale Emilio Vittorio which is around the corner of the port entrance.

http://www.romacruiseterminal.com/images/Cartina%20di%20Civitavecchia.pdf

Regards

HeinBloed

Thank you ' date=' Missus Makkem,

Right?

This is fabulous. I cannot thank you enough. Where did you find this?[/quote']

so you can see from the maps, the stop in Civitavecchia is opposite the CHURCH, on the corner after Port bus drop off is a newsagent seller

buy your B.I.R.G ticket for Tarquinia, 2.5 euros, this is a all day ticket

another 100 m is the Church, bus stop opposite

My directions at www.ftroute.com/tarquinia.cfm clearly show how to get there by bus, and where to stop and get the bus tickets. It is only a 5-10 minute walk from the port entrance.

We're doing it again in about a week; but will have a car this time. Driving from FCO and stopping at Necropoli Etrusca di Cervetere and Terme de Traiano enroute to Civitavecchia. Then on to Tarquinia and on to the tombs.

so you can see from the maps, the stop in Civitavecchia is opposite the CHURCH, on the corner after Port bus drop off is a newsagent seller

buy your B.I.R.G ticket for Tarquinia, 2.5 euros, this is a all day ticket

another 100 m is the Church, bus stop opposite

A BIRG ticket is a integrated ticket to go to Rome.

It is only valid on COTRAL urban lines with the City of Rome and the train between Rome and Viterbo.

I. e. you need a BIRG ticket to use the trains to Rome and to continue within Rome in public transport which is included in BIRG.

There is a second tariff for regional buses:

http://www.cotralspa.it/ENG/biglietti_abbonamenti_BTT.asp

Regards

HeinBloed

It is only valid on COTRAL urban lines with the City of Rome and the train between Rome and Viterbo.

I. e. you need a BIRG ticket to use the trains to Rome and to continue within Rome in public transport which is included in BIRG.

Regards

HeinBloed

June 10 purchased BIRG ticket for Cotral buses to Tarqiunia for 2.5e perhaps this is Cotrals bus service latest,

we have also used a BIRG for Rome?

Regards

HeinBloed

Hi HeinBloed,Tickets and Season Tickets - METREBUS LAZIO System

.:: BIRG - REGIONAL TICKET Validity: Until midnight of the day on which the ticket is validate; good for unlimited rides in the zones for which the ticket is purchased.

Where you can use: All Atac, Cotral and FS transport that services the zones for which the ticket has been purchased.

Sales Outlets : authorized vendors Pay attention : In order to be valid, the BIRG ticket must be stamped at the beginning of the trip. The different sizes of the ticket enable it to be stamped in all validating machines of the Sistema Metrebus. In addition, the ticket holder must complete the personal and zoning information requested on the ticket and, upon requested by the ticket inspector, show the ticket, along with appropriate identification

The BIRG ticket must be conserved until the carrier has arrived at its destination, and shown, upon request, to the ticket inspector.

Price: The price depends on the number of zones required and on the method of payment chosen : B.I.R.G. Costo 1 zone €2,50 2 zone €4,50 3 zone €6,00 4 zone €7,00 5 zone €9,00

Where you can use: All Atac, Cotral and FS transport that services the zones for which the ticket has been purchased.

Somehow the most important phrase is missing in your copy+paste:

Where can I use it?

On public transport within Rome:

- on buses, trams, trolleybuses and Cotral coaches

- on the metro lines A and B

- on Met.Ro regional trains: Rome-Lido, Rome-Viterbo, Rome-Pantano

- on Trenitalia regional trains (travelling second class)

Source:

http://www.atac.roma.it/index.asp?p=19&i=14&r=678

If you check the Cotral's website:

Characteristics:: Single tickets with priced distance (or BTT) are valid on the out-of-town Cotral buses and on the Rome-Viterbo Met.Ro railway line. The distance is priced. The passenger buys a certain number of runs, which correspond to a fixed number of kilometres (class of journey). The ticket is sold in the name of Cotral and can only be used on Cotral buses and on the urban Met.Ro. (Rome – Viterbo) railway line.

But the tickets are peanuts... Forget it.

My favorite in that area is Civita de Bagnoregio (I think Rick Steves said this is his favorite place too). For those who can take that option--we went there via private driver--I can't recommend highly enough.

Happy travels,

Donna

Hi

Where do you find private drivers? Will be on a cruise and would like to go some place other then Roma.

• 4 months later...
My directions at www.ftroute.com/tarquinia.cfm clearly show how to get there by bus, and where to stop and get the bus tickets. It is only a 5-10 minute walk from the port entrance.

Thanks for the pictorial directions! Earlier on this thread, a couple of posters mentioned they were not able to buy any bus tickets; something about the vendors having taken off with the money...? What is the situation now? Is it possible to buy tickets for the bus to Tarquinia in Civitavecchia?

Also, I'm still confused if it's a single ticket each way, or the BIRG regional day ticket for 2.50 euros?

• 4 months later...

We took the Cotral bus to Tarquinia from Civ. in April this year. You can buy tickets from here:

Take the shuttle bus to the port entrance. Facing the land ,turn right and leave the port. As you exit the port, look left and you will see a Macdonald's.

Stop at the kerb with this behind you and look diagonally left across the road. You will see a little tobacconists kiosk and beyond that, on the corner is a Gelateria. That is where you buy your cotral bus tickets for Tarquinia (we paid E5 for two!). If you ask " a que hora?" (what time?) they will tell you the times or give you a time table.

Leaving the Gelateria, cross the road and head for the cathedral in the road almost opposite(you'll see it from the ship). The bus stop is opposite the cathedral. As mentioned in other threads, wait for the blue bus with (guess what?) 'Tarquinia' on the front.

Ride takes about 35 mins, and may seem to turn away but its just a detour to the beach before dropping you at the city walls. Museum is lovely, trattoria great, viewpoint breathtaking. Lovely quiet Tuscan town- we will be back!

Bonus was we were there in Culture week and all the museums were free(including in Rome!). This was Azura cruise 5th-22nd April and I think this was the first Saturday.

Our initial info was obtained from the TI kiosk near the shuttle bus stop.

I also thought if the weather was nice you could just go to the beach at Tarquinia for the day, although I don't know what facilities are there.

Have fun!

• 2 months later...
Absolutely, and thank you for proving my point about getting flamed. We simply call it as we see it. Other folks are welcome to disagree (many do) which is also fine. But we would back up our thoughts with the other hundreds of posts we have put on this particular forum singing our personal praises of Italy. But Tarquinia does not qualify for our personal praise :)

Hank

I, as I'm sure others, like hearing your opinion, Hank! You have provided all of us with very important information about traveling, and I appreciate it! :)

• 1 month later...
Thanks for the pictorial directions! Earlier on this thread, a couple of posters mentioned they were not able to buy any bus tickets; something about the vendors having taken off with the money...? What is the situation now? Is it possible to buy tickets for the bus to Tarquinia in Civitavecchia?

Also, I'm still confused if it's a single ticket each way, or the BIRG regional day ticket for 2.50 euros?

the link is dead, do you or anyone have a copy of this? Thanks.

• 7 months later...

Last week NO newsagent/Tabacchi would sell us a bus ticket (we tried 3 of them including the one on the corner that is often mentioned). The gelataria (ice cream shop)did not have them either. There were several people trying. The busdriver would not let us on but thankfully someone spoke Italian and explained the situation. He then sold us tickets at €7pp -these were pre-printed so I'm not sure if he ripped us off or not!

Hi

We're just back from Liberty of the Seas and also visited Tarquinia by bus on May 31st. We couldn't see where to buy tickets and were allowed onto the bus by the driver who then sold us tickets for 7 euro each. It became quite farcical as we didn't have the correct change ( thought it would be 4 euro not 14) and the driver then engaged all the other passengers in providing the change!!

Coming back was much easier - the excellent visitor centre in Tarquinia gave us a bus timetable and told us where to buy tickets costing 2 euro each.

Whilst waiting for the bus back we were approached by a woman who seemed to be running a mini bus service between the port and Tarquinia and I had also seen her outside the port gates as we left the ship but don't know how much she charged.

Look for Civitavecchia Sightseeing on the corner as you leave the dock area. They have a shuttle to the Tarquinia city gates and return for the price of 15 Euros. From there you can take a free shuttle [D] to the Necropolis, or take any other and walk a few blocks. On your way back, I suggest walking to the bus stop to take you back to the gates, or about half-way and walk the rest.

Ask for the Continenta Restaurant where you will find an outstanding tourist menu priced very reasonably. We made friends with his the owner's young daughter.

A splendid day trip!

• 1 month later...

I've just travelled by bus from Civitavecchia to Tarquinia by local bus July 2012. Here's updated information. Thanks to Mountainmare whose great instructions formed the basis of my travel.

On leaving the port shuttle, bear right and head up towards the town. Taxi drivers were offering me €35 (and then €25) per person to go to Tarquinia. Ignore them, head into town, turning left up the main street, walk along until you are walking alongside the Museo Nationale* and at the corner turn left. Continue along until (5 mins) you see a large church on your right (S. Francisco). On the opposite side of the road, i.e. the side of the road you are standing on, there is a bus stop. This is the bus stop to Tarquinia. There isn't anywhere you can get a ticket, so just get on the Cotral bus marked Tarquinia, along with all the locals - this is what the locals told me. Don't bother asking the driver, just get on and sit down. The tickets are €2.20 each, but you can only buy them in the Tabac in Tarquinia. In the morning, there's a bus about every hour. Coming back they are less frequent, so best download a timetable before you go and try to make sure you are in good time for the return bus, as otherwise you can wait a long time in hot sun.

Now here's where my experience differs from Mountainmare. The bus just drove straight to the City Gate, set into walled Tarquinia - Barriera S. Giusto. It was the first stop. The gate is on the right hand side and to your left, there are 2 petrol stations on either side of the road leading away from the Town Gate. I hope this helps you recognise it, but for a picture, http://www.viterbotv.eu/news/news_index.asp?pagina=295 or type it into Google images - it's the picture with the blue van.

Just inside the town gate there is a Tourist Office where they speak English and you can pick up a useful map, showing you the layout of Tarquinia. There is a bench (literally a plain old bench) right outside the Tourist Office. Wait there and every 20 mins or so a little shuttle bus turns up. This is free and will take you to the corner of Via Ripagretta. You now have a 10 minute easy walk to the Necropolis.

The tombs are worth seeing. Not all tombs are open all the time and it involves walking down steps (some steep) to view the tombs from a viewing spot at the bottom. It's exposed, so not much respite from the sun, although there are little shelters here and there where you can sit under a canopy. Be careful of the ants - they bite.

The shuttle bus is supposed to stop at 13:30, but we found it had already stopped by about 12:30, when we tried to get it on the way back. Never mind, other buses turned up and we just paid a couple of euro to get back to Barriera S. Giusto.

In a little square opposite the Tourist Office, next to the Palazzo Vitelleschi there's an ice-cream shop which is quite nice and in Piazza Cavour (above the Tourist office) opposite the Palazzo, there's the Tabac which will sell you your bus ticket back to Civitavecchia.

There's a bar opposite the Palazzo where you can get a drink and a pre-packed sandwich and sit outside if you want. Alternatively, a bakery a few doors along towards the centre of town will sell you a slice of pizza and heat it up for you. It's only €1.60 or thereabouts.

Tip: The Palazzo Vitelleschi has 4 reconstructed tombs on the top floor - really nice ones and easier to view, although I would not miss going to the actual site! Be warned, there didn't seem to be any signs warning against photography, but a guard came up and told me off for taking pictures. There are also some great red and black figure pots in other rooms.

You have to go back to the bus stop where you got off at Barriera S. Giusto, in order to catch the bus back to Civitavecchia. No timetable here, so do make sure you have one before you go.

Allow around 30 mins for the bus from/to Civitavecchia.

Hope this updated information helps.

* The real spelling contains a 'z' not a 't', but it was censored because it suggests something to do with 1930s Germany!

Archived